Search for content in message boards

Haynie/Haney Family in Carroll Co, GA - mistaken for Hazine

Haynie/Haney Family in Carroll Co, GA - mistaken for Hazine

Posted: 18 May 2007 8:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: HANEY, HAYNIE, HAZINE, HARRELL
Incorrectly transcribed into Ancestry as HAZINE, seeking information on the whereabouts of this family and their descendants... suspect HIRAM (b 1829 FL) may be the 2nd son of Archibald Haney and father of Columbus Washington Haney b. 1848 and Nathaniel A. Benjamin Haney b.1846, raised by Sarah Harrell of Decatur Co Georgia in the 1850/1860 census.

Family name was Haynie (aka Haney) as identified on the USGenWed Carrol County site:
488 40 HAYNIE ARCH W
488 40 HAYNIE HIRAM
488 40 HAYNIE JOHN C
488 40 HAYNIE MARY
488 40 HAYNIE REBECCA S
488 40 HAYNIE WM J

Any connections/information greatly appreciated

Bill Haney
Miami, FL
wshmisc@yahoo.com

Re: Haynie/Haney Family in Carroll Co, GA - mistaken for Hazine

Posted: 20 May 2007 10:57PM GMT
I have searched for additional information on the Haynie's in Carroll Co. but cannot find any information other than what you have from the 1860 census. At that time Arch W. was 2 years old so that might give you a match for your Arch W.

I also searched the Florida census but couldn't find any additional information.
Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Posted: 19 Mar 2009 7:48PM GMT
Bill,

Hiram Haney's wife was Mary Thomas, daughter of John Thomas, and his wife, Mahala Bunn.

This is their son, Archibald Benjamin "Arch" Haney:

1880 United States Federal Census
Name: B. Achibal Haney
Home in 1880: Waldroop, Haralson, Georgia
Estimated Birth Year: 1856
Birthplace: Georgia
Relation to Head of Household: Self (Head)
Spouse's Name: D. Joanna
Father's birthplace: Florida
Mother's birthplace: Georgia
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Arch B Hainey
Home in 1900: Militia District 649, Carroll, Georgia
Birth Date: Sep 1853
Ethnicity: American
Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Georgia
Mother's Birthplace: Georgia
Spouse's Name: Joanna
Marriage Year: 1877
Years Married: 23
Residence : Temple Town, Carroll, Georgia
1910 United States Federal Census
Name: Arch B Haney
Age in 1910: 54
Estimated Birth Year: 1856
Relation to Head of House: Head
Father's Birth Place: Georgia
Mother's Birth Place: Georgia
Spouse's Name: Josie
Home in 1910: Tallapoosa, Paulding, Georgia
1920 United States Federal Census
Name: Arch B Hainey
Home in 1920: Draketown, Haralson, Georgia
Estimated Birth Year: 1857
Spouse's Name: Joe A
Father's Birth Place: Florida
Mother's Birth Place: Georgia
Sex: Male
Home owned: Rent
Able to read: No
Able to Write: No
Image: 516
1930 United States Federal Census
Name: Arch B Haney
Home in 1930: Felton, Haralson, Georgia
Estimated Birth Year: 1858

Carole Thomas Kane

Posted: 19 Mar 2009 7:54PM GMT
Bill,

The son, William J. Haney listed in the household of Hiram and Mary Haney in 1860 was William Jackson Haney.

1860 - Carroll County, Georgia - In household with parents, Hiram and Mary Haynie.
1870 - Carroll County, Georgia - Listed as Jackson Haynie, twelve years old, living in household with his parents, Hiram and Mary Haynie.
1900 - Draketown, Haralson County, Georgia
Head of Household: William Haney - 47 years of age - born in Georgia
Wife: Margaret Haney - 29 years of age - born in Georgia - Margaret Haney states she has given birth to six children but only five are living. She further states she has been married for ten years, indicating William J. Haney was married before.
Daughter: Polly A. C. Haney - 16 years of age - born in Georgia
Daughter: Julia S. Haney - 15 years of age - born in Georgia
Daughter: Florence A. Haney - 9 years of age - born in Georgia
Son: Robert J. Haney - 6 years of age - born in Georgia
Son: William F. Haney - 4 years of age - born in Georgia
Son: John T. Haney - 2 years of age - born in Georgia
Daughter: Rosa L. Haney - born April 1900 - 3 months old - born in Georgia
1910 - Mandeville and Temple Road, Mandeville, Carroll County, Georgia
Head of Household: William J. Haney - 62 years of age - born in Georgia - William J. Haney states he has been married twice.
Wife: Sallie J. Haney - 46 years of age - born in Georgia
Son: Robert J. Haney - 14 years of age - born in Alabama
Son: William F. Haney - 13 years of age - born in Georgia
Son: John D. Haney - 11 years of age - born in Georgia
Daughter: Georgia M. Haney - 10 years of age - born in Georgia
Daughter: Ethel Haney - 8 years of age - born in Georgia
Son: WILLIAM G. HANEY - 7 years of age - born in Georgia - Did they name two sons WILLIAM??
Daughter: Dora B. Haney - 4 years of age - born in Georgia
Daughter: Myrtie L. Haney - 2 years of age - born in Georgia

Posted: 20 Mar 2009 5:20AM GMT
Surnames: HANEY, HARRELL
Thank you so very much for the detail..... do you know much of Hiram Haney's life BEFORE he married Mary Thomas? Was Hiram Haney's father Archibald Haney found with his family in the 1840 census (with a son that would have been Hiram's age)for Decatur County, GA.(the only Haney family in the County at the time)?

I suspect Archibald Benjamin was named after his grandfather.... and I further suspect Hiram may have been married - or at least fathered two sons... before his marriage to Mary Thomas.

The 1850 Census for Decatur Co, Ga - shows that Archibald and his family (including Hiram?) had moved on by that time, the only HANEY surnames left in the County are two young boys (Alfred - later known as Columbus Washington Haney b. 1848 and his brother Nathaniel A. Benjamin Haney b 1845).....C.W. Haney is my ggfather.... they are found living with an older woman Sarah Harrel, who I suspect was there maternal grandmother (she lived with N.A.B. Haney even after he married and died while still in their home). It's my theory that Hiram either married or impregnated Sarah Harrel's daughter (he would have been about 18 at the time) who possibly died in childbirth in 1848 and when the large Haney family moved on prior to 1850 where they are found elsewhere, so did Hiram, leaving the two Haney boys with their grandmother.

Do you know of any male descendants of Hiram Haney who might submit to DNA testing.... I had been in contact with one William Patrick Haney who was tested, but it later came to be that his grandfather may not have been a Haney afterall....

Appreciate any comments/thoughts....

Bill Haney

Posted: 20 Mar 2009 1:27PM GMT
Bill,

I'm sorry to say, I know nothing about Hiram H. Haney prior to his marriage to Mary Thomas. Needless to say, my main focus is Mary Thomas' lineage.

Hiram first surfaces in 1860 married to Mary in Carroll County, Georgia. I've never been able to find a marriage record for them, but based on their first child's birth about 1854, they probably married about 1853. Hiram was quite a few years older than Mary, so it's certainly possible he had children before his marriage to Mary.

I do not know of any male descendants of Hiram and Mary, but as many children as they had, surely there are many out there alive and well today. I am a huge advocate for DNA testing for genealogical purposes. When a paper trail doesn't exist, it's the best way of proving a familial connection.

One of their sons, Joseph Kennon Haney married three times, and had a total of thirteen children.
He married first Sarah E. McKolroy on 23 December 1883 in Carroll County, Georgia. He married second Amelia C. "Mellie" Criswell on 14 August 1893 in Carroll County, Georgia. His third wife was Dovie L. Maiden name unknown. They were married about 1920.

Joseph Kennon Haney was born on May 1866 in Carroll County, Georgia, and died 9 November 1942 in Cleburne County, Alabama.

Another one of Hiram and Mary's sons was Thomas Jefferson Haney. He remained in Carroll County, Georgia, until his death. He was born December 1870 in Carroll County, Georgia, and died 5 September 1940 in Carroll County, Georgia. He married Carrie M. Miller on 8 September 1895 in Carroll County, Georgia.
1900 - Waldrop, Haralson County, Georgia - Listed as Thomas J. Haney
1930 - Carrollton, Carroll County, Georgia
Head of Household: Thomas J. Haney - 59 years of age - born in Georgia. Thomas J. Haney states he married when he was twenty five years old.
Wife: Carrie Haney - 57 years of age - born in Georgia
Son: Lonnie Q.? Haney - 32 years of age - divorced - Lonnie Haney states he was married when he was twenty five years old.
Daughter: Pearl Haney - 30 years of age - born in Georgia
Son: Charlie Haney - 27 years of age - born in Georgia
Son: Lowell I.? Haney - 25 years of age - born in Georgia
Son In Law: Coleman H. Horsley - 27 years of age - born in Georgia
Daughter: Lola M. Horsley - 24 years of age - born in Georgia
Granddaughter: Elizabeth Horsley - 2 years and 7 months of age - born in Georgia
Georgia Deaths, 1919-98
Name: Thomas J Haney
Death Date: 05 Sep 1940
County of Death: Carroll
Race: W
Certificate: 21809
Bill, was William Patrick Haney the son of Moses Jethro Haney, and the grandson of Joseph Kennon Haney?

Carole Thomas Kane

Posted: 11 Jul 2009 4:50AM GMT
Surnames: HANEY, HARRELL
Hi Carole,

Did you ever confirm on your end that Hiram Haney's father was the Archibald (Arch) Haney found in the 1840 Decatur County, GA census? You'll note that on your census records for Arch W. that he gives Hiram's birthplace alternately as Florida and Georgia (as did Hiram himself, and) - as do my ggf and his brother since Decatur Co. is right on the border with FL my gggf

Do you have Birth/Death dates for Mahala Bunn - or death date or place for Hiram? - Or know Josie Haney's maiden name?

Thanks.

Bill Haney

Posted: 11 Jul 2009 2:45PM GMT
Hello Bill,

No, I have no confirmation of Hiram Haney's parentage.

Regarding Hiram Haney death date, I haven't had much luck there either.
Based on the following information, he appears to have lived passed 1900. IF (big IF) the burial location found below is the right Hiram H. Haney, then his birth date is far off from that found on various census records.

Carole
COUNTY PAUPER BOOK OF CARROLL COUNTY, GEORGIA
12 September 1895
Hiram Haney, an old Confederate Soldier in destitute circumstances. Petitioners were: L. Y. Allgood, J. B. Golden, E. H. Cobb, J. W. Allgood, J. P. Griffin, W. O. Robinson, T. E. Kirk, P. I. Sewell, J. M. Riggs, J. A. Kinney, J. C. Cantrell, A. S. Cartwright, J. C. Baskin, A. H. Riggs. Draft for $5.00 issued for the quarter.
Georgia, Confederate Pension Applications, 1879-1960
Name: Hiram H Haney
County: Haralson
Approx. Application Year: 1900
Application Type: Indigent Soldier
Archive Collection Name: Pension Applications of Confederate Soldiers and Widows
Archive Collection #: GCP-257
Number of Images in Packet: 9
U.S. Veterans Gravesites, ca.1775-2006 ????
Name: Hiram H Haney
Service Info.: CONFEDERATE STATES ARMY
Birth Date: 10 Oct 1844
Death Date: 2 Mar 1924
Cemetery: Mount Bethel Cemetery
Cemetery Address: C/O Dan P Allen For Hm Pattersons 1157 Old Canton Road N E Marietta, GA 30068

Posted: 12 Jul 2009 4:55AM GMT
Surnames: HANEY, HARRELL, HAINEY
Cant be the same Hiram Haney - this Hiram H. would have been just old enough to be a soldier in the Confederacy (16-20 during the Civil War years),but he would have only been 10 years old (and four years YOUNGER than his young wife Mary Thomas!) when their first son John C. was born!! The first one might be our guy though... (without the H.)... he would have been 67 and "old" in 1895.... but Hiram H. would have only been 51.....

On the flip side, our Hiram would have had to have lived to 96 in order to die in 1924

Odd that he was destitude .... with 8 children you'd think one would have taken him in.... but perhaps that's what he had to declare to get a confederate pension?

Posted: 12 Jul 2009 5:03AM GMT
By the way - yes, this is the same string I have -
(
.....Bill, was William Patrick Haney the son of Moses Jethro Haney, and the grandson of Joseph Kennon Haney?)

but odd that you would mention DNA - I actually have done the 32 markers but no matches (or anyone else with the Hiram/Archibald ancestry listed for that matter) and I actually found a current William Patrick Hall Haney (suppose to be a decendent of Hiram/Archibald) and his mother Beverly helped me get a DNA sample from him ... It was a bust - no match whatsoever... but it turned out there were family rumors of another father (or it might have been a grandfather) that I heard from another family member.... so did no confirm OR discount my Hiram/Archibald theories..

Thanks so much for the information you sent...

Bill Haney
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.