Search for content in message boards

Genealogy programs

Genealogy programs

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 5:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am unable to find a genealogy program, that deals well with illegitemate births, adoptions, name changes, adoptive parents and all the details involved. Does anyone have a suggestion. I've tried, possibly a dozen of the available programs.

Jack

Re: Genealogy programs

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 9:15PM GMT
Just exactly what do you mean by "deal with"?

Several programs allow entry of adoptions, name changes, adoptive parents, etc.

One of the more flexible programs is The Master Genealogist. Have you tried it?

Posted: 29 Nov 2007 9:30PM GMT
I have not tried TMG as it is one of the more expensive. I've tried Legacy, FTM, FTLegends, My Heritage, Rootmagic, several of the PAF's.Plus several that no longer exist.

By deal with I mean allow one person to have two names. A birth name and the adoptive name. Likewise have two sets of parents, the birth parents who were not and never married and the adoptive parents.

Any other suggestioins

Posted: 30 Nov 2007 1:30AM GMT
RootsMagic will let you have as many names as you want. Just go into the person's edit screen and do "Add fact" then select "Alternate name" to enter additional names.

You can also add up to 200 sets of parents for a person. Just highlight the person and do Add > Parents from the main menu.

Posted: 1 Dec 2007 4:29AM GMT
FWIW, I second the suggestion of using The Master Genealogist. It will allow you to have an unlimted number of names and parents, although only one set of parents can be primary at any one time. Primary simply means that is the parent used to trace your genealogy. You could try the 30 day free trial and there's the option of the Silver Edition, which only lacks some publication options. As for adoptions, I recommend adding a custom Adoption tag which would more fully exlain what happened---write to me privately for details.

Posted: 3 Feb 2008 7:27PM GMT
I also recommend The Master Genealogist.

I doubt if there a Genealogy program out there that is more flexible.

Alvin R.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.