Search for content in message boards

Cherokee Freedmen/African Ancestored People

Cherokee Freedmen/African Ancestored People

Posted: 30 May 2005 3:52AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 Oct 2005 8:25PM GMT
Am hoping to connect with African-American ROACH descendants whose ancestors were enrolled (some were rejected) as Cherokee Freedman by the Dawes Commission in Indian Territory (now Oklahoma), 1898-1907.

Freedmen were ex-slaves of Cherokee citizens.

One example is the descendants of Daniel ROACH and his two wives and associated surnames. Daniel was the son of Charles & Hannah DREW (app. #40)

Known Children of Daniel ROACH & Rose GUNTER

Name-Application #-Spouse-Spouse’s Parents:

Jessie, 40
Samuel, 309
Katis, 441, m. Alex COODY; Morris STIDHAW & Lydia COODY
Nancy, 658, m. John HILL; ?
Julia, 311,
Henry, 365, m. Rebecca VANN; Butler & Sarah

Known Children of Daniel ROACH & Patsy________

Joseph, 476, m. Fannie; Rose WEBBER
Robert, 329
Cora, 911, m. Robert; Harrison & Caroline FOREMAN
Sarah, 431
Tuxie, 477, m. Ella; Nelson & Rose WEBBER

Joseph’s household from the 1900 Census-Indian Territory-Cherokee Nation-ED 31-Sheet 21A-Page 283: (partial)

Roach, Joseph apr 1852
Fannie may 1863
Patsy nov 1886
Maggie aug 1889
Leroy sept 1892
Lassie mar 1896
Lilly nov 1888

Your ancestor would have been living, continuously, in Indian Territory from about 1867 to 1907. This is an ongoing research project.

Hurry up now.
Preston

Re: Cherokee Freedmen/African Ancestored People

Posted: 29 Jul 2006 8:47PM GMT
Surnames: roach
my grandfathers name was howard roach sr. was myrtle williams roach and her mother was liza williams.

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 5:51AM GMT
Surnames: Roach/Gunter
Whoops! Looks like I am about (5) years late! And to think you said hurry up...:-). Oh well...anyway Patsy Roach was my, GGG-grandma linage thru her first husband Jesse Roach. Their daughter; the infamous "Rose Roach-Gunter" is my GG-grandma. My linage is thru her husband, John G. Gunter, I have "Roach" linage thru Patsy, not the "shared man" Daniel Roach...:-) Sorry it took me so long..Feel Free to visit my tree..."Wolf Waltz"

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 3:05PM GMT
It's never too late GunterGirl5. It appears your tree is on ancestry and I'm without a subscription.

preston

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 3:43PM GMT
Do have any more information on Howard? Where he lived, where he died, name of parents, siblings, etc?

preston
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.