Search for content in message boards

Colls from Donegal (gweedore, carrick area)

Colls from Donegal (gweedore, carrick area)

Posted: 25 Jun 2005 6:14AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: coll, mchugh, irvine, mulligan, mcgarvey
Hi!

I saw your posting on Ancestry.com and liked your thought about the Colls having two main clans. Would love to hear if any of my COLL names' ring a bell from your research.

My line goes back to the early to mid 1800's so far beginning with a thomas coll marrying maria mulligan. They had three children -

Thomas b.1874 married Mary Mulligan only child I know of is Anthony Coll born 1904ish.

Grace b.1876 married Owen McGinley and children were Thomas born 1900, Daniel born 1902, Denis born 1904 - 1958 married a woman called Rose, Hannah born 1907 and Frank born 1908.

and Denis 1879-1921 married Grace McHugh. (my great grandfather)Children were Mary 1908-1994 married a Edward (Ned) McGarvey (had 6 children), Patrick 1909-1997 no marriage or children, Thomas (Tom) born 1911 and still going strong. No marriage or children and Catherine (known as Katie or Kitty) 1912-1995 married Daniel Irvine and had 8 children and Joseph 1914-1999 no children no marriage.

I am also based in Australia(im first generation aussie in melb) and am trying to get information from the other side of the globe but finding it really hard so even any tips or good resources would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Catherine

Re: Colls from Donegal (gweedore, carrick area)

Roseann McFadden Clavelli (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2005 11:28AM GMT
Surnames: COLL, McFADDEN, CURRAN
Hi,

I am traveling right now so don't have my family tree with me. However, I think (and that's the operative word!) that your Denis who died in 1958 might have been married to a Rosa Mulhern. I have been trying to link his Coll family with mine -- who were on Inis bo finne, the small island off the coast of Donegal, not far from Gweedore.

Are you familiar with Lindel's site? I have transcribed and provided to her list early births/deaths from NW Donegal and have done some tombstone transcriptions from the Gortahork cemetery. (I have worked especially hard trying to record all Coll family members.) The Denis Coll mentioned above is listed. Also, on a separate part of her site are birth-marriage-death transcriptions from the Gweedore area. You might search these for some Coll clues.

Re: Colls from Donegal (gweedore, Arranmore area)

Posted: 10 Mar 2010 10:32PM GMT
Surnames: COLL DIVER BOYLE
Trying to find COLL family / siblings of HUGH COLL born abt. 1865. died Apr 1949 Married Sarah Boyle (dau of Manus and Catherine Boyle) Feb. 1888 St Marys Sheskinbeg. Hugh was buried at the old graveyard?.

Parents of Hugh are believed to be DENIS COLL (b1833-1901) who married Margaret Diver (b1839-?)

Thank you

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 12:12AM GMT
trying to find info of Manus&Catherine Boyle of Sheskinbeg of all their children?My greatgrandfather is Peter b.1850 and came to U.S.1866. I know Catherine is Wd,1901 census living with son Bernard&his family.Benard is there in 1911.Cannot seem to find them in any cemetery?

Posted: 23 Oct 2014 3:24PM GMT
My great grandparents, Hugh and Sarah, born 1865, were born in Gweedore, and today I found this on the 1901 census:

Denis Coll and Margaret Diver Household
Coll Denis
head
wool weaver
Coll Margaret
wife

Note:

Son Hugh married Sara Boyle, dau of Manus and Catherine Boyle, Sheskinbeg, 10 Feb 1888 at St Mary's. Witnesses Patrick Boyle, Ballindrait and Margaret Boyle, Sheskinbeg.

Dau Grace married Neil? Boyle, Dore, son of Patrick Boyle and Bridget Boyle, 17 Feb 1896 at St Mary's. 3rd and 4th degree consanguinity. Witnesses Charles Boyle, Dore and Anne O'Donnell, Derrybeg.

I am not sure yet if this Sarah and Hugh are in fact my great grand parents Sarah and Hugh but it looks that way. The dates and area all add up.

Posted: 23 Oct 2014 3:31PM GMT
http://irishgraveyards.ie/plot.php?plotno=224&yardid=54&...
This is the headstone for Hugh and Sarah Coll. My grandmother Margaret Coll Taggart's name is on the bottom so I am positive this is my Great Grandparents grave in Gweedore. I have a lot of information on the family and you may contact me at moern911@hotmail.com
Maureen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.