Search for content in message boards

Irish Hungerfords

Irish Hungerfords

Posted: 9 Jul 2001 3:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking info. on Elizabeth Hungerford, early 1700's ( Co. Cork, Ireland). Married Phillip Townsend (Co.Cork, Ireland). Any info. on her or her parents would be appreciated. Thanks, Donna Lovas Donnalovas@aol.com

Re: Irish Hungerfords

Posted: 13 May 2002 2:37AM GMT
Edited: 3 May 2004 12:57AM GMT
Hello:

I have accumulated a great deal of information on the descendants of Capt Thomas Hungerford of Ireland and am in the final throes of getting it all in form for printing.

A sketchy outline in answer to your question:

Capt Thomas HUNGERFORD of The Little Island, co Cork IRL - m Mary/May ---; d 2 Mar 1680/1

his son Col Richard HUNGERFORD of The Island (Inchydoney), co Cork IRL - m Mary Moore, dau Sir Emanuel Moore [1667?]; d 1729

his son Thomas HUNGERFORD - m Susannah Becher, dau Col Thomas Becher of Innisherkin (Sherkin Island) & Aghadown, co Cork IRL 1709/19; d [1715]

his daughter Elizabeth HUNGERFORD - m Capt Philp Townshend of Derry, co Cork IRL 28 Nov 1733.

I hope this information is helpful. I could provide you with related information, otherwise you might as well wait until I can get the book printed.

STAN H

Posted: 11 Nov 2004 11:45PM GMT
Surnames: HUNGERFORD
We are trying to trace the family of Winspeare Toye Hungerford who, I believe, was part of the family that you have listed.

Have you come across the name Winspeare Hungerford? If so, would love to hear more!

Richard W. Hungerford, Jr. (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2004 4:41AM GMT
Surnames: Hungerford; Becher; Fishbourne; Toye; Spencer
Hello.

I can help a little bit. From Stanley Hungerford, author of the last Hungerford genealogy--the fellow who you are replying to--I show Winspeare Toye Hungerford's pedigree as follows: Winspeare was the son of William & Jane (Toye) Hungerford; William was the son of Richard & Frances Eyre (Becher) Hungerford; Richard was the son of Thomas & Mary Cranfield (Becher) Hungerford; Thomas was the son of Richard & Mary (Becher) Hungerford; Richard was the son of Thomas & Susannah (Becher) Hungerford. Thomas was the son of Col. Richard & Mary (Moore) Hungerford; Col. Richard is the son of Capt. Thomas & Mary ( ) Hungerford--the immigrant.

Stanley has Winspeare being born 10 Mar 1839 at Shanakill, Cork, Ireland. He died 21 May 1905. FHL #0101000 verifies the date of death.

Winspeare married twice. I have found records of Winspeare marrying Eliza Sophia Spencer. He is listed as a commercial agent and she is listed as age 20. It lists their fathers (who double as the witnesses) as William Hungerford and Ebenezer Spencer (Accountant). The ceremony was performed in Cork, The Chapel of St. Michael in the St. Finn Barr Parish. Their residence is Georges Street.

Winspeare's second marriage occurred on 10 Aug 1869 in Dublin South in the parish of Donnybrook. The record calls Winspeare Widower and merchant. His bride is Isabella Fishbourne--a minor. The father's are listed as William Hungerford, Esq. & Robert Fishbourne, Esq. The marriage is witnessed by J. Fishbourne and David William Fishbourne.

From the first marriage were born 3 children--William Francis, Sophia, and Winspeare. I have birth certificates for William & Winspeare.

Isabella was the mother of 12 children. I have birth certificates for 6 of them. Their names were Bertha May Isabella; Winspeare Campbell Augustus; Jane Maude; Olive Frances Ayre; Walter Hastings Cavour; Robert Beaconsfield; Richard Geoffrey St. Swithin; Annie Rachel MacKenzie; Dorothy Aimee; Lilian MacKenzie; Frances Eyre; and Georgina Violet.

I hope this helps.

Posted: 12 Nov 2004 10:01PM GMT
Richard, it was so exciting to read your message! You are obviously climbing the same tree as us. I actually posted my query on behalf of my cousin, who is the great grandson of Walter Hastings Conbour Hungerford. I've since emailed him a copy of your post - and I believe he's already emailed you direct for more information. We look forward to hearing more! Thank you for your speedy reply.

Stanley Hungerford (View posts)
Posted: 12 Nov 2004 11:57PM GMT
Hello LINDA:

Yes, I know exactly who Winspeare Toye HUNGERFORD is and where he fits into the documented lineage. In fact, while travelling in England in 1980 with my Mom and 1984 with my Dad, we enjoyed meeting various members of his immediate family. If you would like more information, please let me know how you are connected (if at all), and what information you would like -- you may e-mail me directly at s.swhford@verizon.net

STAN H

Posted: 13 Nov 2004 9:27AM GMT
Hi Stan

Thank you so much! Winspeare Toye Hungerford was the great great grandfather of my 4th cousin, Tim Berrett. Tim's great grandfather was Walter Hastings Conbour Hungerford.

We would love to know anything about Winspeare's descendents (ie. we knew Walter had at least six siblings via Winspeare's two marriages, but now gather there may have been more).

Sadly, Walter died when his own son was very young, and the family therefore know very little about him, or about his family. For some time, we've been discovering lots about the Hungerford family and making assumptions about how Walter has fitted in. Fortunately, our maths hasn't been too far off the mark!!

Our greatest wish, at this stage, is that one of Walter's nieces or nephews may be able to tell us more about Walter - apart from building a more complete picture of the overall Hungerford tree.

Any help you can give will be much appreciated. I will forward a copy of your response and my to Tim, as I know he would have to make contact with you directly.

Many thanks again.

Linda

Posted: 22 Dec 2004 11:10PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2005 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: TOYE WINSPEARE HUNGERFORD
>Winspeare was the son of William & Jane (Toye) Hungerford; < Can any of you tell me more about Jane Toye
and her father Winspeare Toye? I am trying to track down
the origin of their first name. EWK

Posted: 23 Dec 2004 10:11PM GMT
Surnames: HUNGERFORD TOYE
Hi Elizabeth... I think we may have been in touch before - but you may have just answered one of our long-standing questions. My cousin and I are tracing the family of Winspeare Toye Hungerford and we knew that Jane Toye was his mother, however we were at a loss as to where the name 'Winspeare' came from. We have quite a few Winspeare Hungerfords, but none before Jane Toye. Do I take it that you have proof that the name of Jane's father was Winspeare Toye? Would love to hear more...

Posted: 24 Dec 2004 1:31AM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2005 10:20PM GMT
Surnames: TOYE WINSPEARE MCCARTY
Yes, I emailed you about discussing this last year, but
you told me someone else was researching it and would
get with me; no one did. I had references to Winspeare
Toye. I do NOT know that Jane Toye Hungerford was his daughter, just seems likely. However, it seems that none of you know anything about Winspeare Toye, which is what I want. :>}
Winspeare is an old Cork name, and I have McCarty ancestors in Cork using it as a middle name.
Elizabeth Winspeare Knowlton
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.