Search for content in message boards

William Harris Sr in Cooper Co, Missouri

William Harris Sr in Cooper Co, Missouri

Posted: 27 Aug 2006 3:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Sep 2006 3:58PM GMT
Surnames: Harris
William Harris Sr, born abt. 1765-probably in Virginia, died abt. 1837- Cooper County, Missouri, Wife Lieucunda Foley born UNK- Probably in North Carolina, died before 1840- Cooper County, Missouri. William & Lieucinda moved to Cooper County, Missouri in 1820, with some of their family. William died in 1837 and was the first person buried in the HARRIS Cemetery in Cooper County. CHILDREN THAT I KNOW OF JAMES P. HARRIS BORN SEPT. 10, 1783 IN NORTH CAROLINA, DIED JAN. 10, 1866 I COOPER COUNTY, MISSOURI HIS WIFE RHODA FARMER BORN JAN. 7, 1788 IN VIRGINIA, DIED SEPT.21,1873 IN COOPER COUNTY, MISSOURI. This couple lived in Kentucky at some time as some of their children were born there. James P. Harris may have come to Missouri pror to his parents, as I show one of his children born in Missouri in 1816, however other one is shown to be born in Kentucky around 1820.
JOHN HARRIS, born in 1790 in North Carolina, died Nov. 3, 1853, Cooper County, Missouri. His wife was Polly Lambath
THOMAS ALVIN HARRIS, born Jan. 5, 1796 in North Carolina, died July 16, 1866. His wife was Nancy Edwards born in Kentucky on Sept. 12, 1796, died May 4, 1865 in Cooper County, Missouri
WILLIAM HARRIS JR. born UNK-in North Carolina, died May 9, 1896. No information to his wife or if he was married.
All of the people I have listed are buried in the Harris Cemetery in Cooper County, Missouri.
ANY INFORMATION WOULD HELP IN MY RESEARCH OF THIS FAMILY.
P.S. WILLIAM HARRIS SR. lived in the Cumberland Valley for some of his life and his wife may have been part Cherokee Indian.

Re: Harris Families in Kentucky,Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 1:38AM GMT
Surnames: Harris, Jones, Prough
I am very interested in William and Lieucinda Harris. I know that my husband's line is in this one, but can't make the connection to his parents. John Harris, b. 1830 d.1918 Cooper Co., MO. He first married Martha Elizabeth Jones, second Amay Prough. Do you happen to have this person in your files?

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 4:28AM GMT
Yes I show a John Harris b.1830 but d. in 1910in Kirksville, Mo and a wife by the name of Amy Prough

WILLIAM HARRIS SR, grandfather of Judge Thomas Alvin Harris
William & Lieucinda may have had a daughter Nancy who married a John Martin back in 1801 in Kentucky. The Harrises, Martins, and Burrises were close knit and had many inter-marriages.

Thomas Alvin Harris Sr., born Janaury 5, 1796 in North Carolina, died July 16, 1866, came to Missouri in 1820
*Source Harris Cemetery Records.

OBADIAH HARRIS may have been named Thomas Obadiah. Obadiah being used because of the proliferation of Thomas Hariss at the time in the family. *Source George Harris

Early records showed death to be February 15, 1901, however Harris Cemetery Records show death to be September 30, 1919. I think last date in error Warren UNDERWOOD
Records also show his birth date as May 16, 1814, maybe an error as his parents were not married until December 8, 1816. (see marriage license and bond) Warren Underwood
1850 Census of Cooper County shows Obadiah to be living with his father and is shown to be 38 years old which would make his birth date to be 1812, this information provided by George Harris, descendant, researcher, and genealogist. November 2006. (WLU)

Collin and Nolan were twins.

Delores Vaughn a family descendant of Obadiah Harris( this was her ggggrandfather) shows that William Franklin Harris born February 13, 1857 in Cooper County died February 16, 1935 at Atoka, Atoka County, Oklahoma which is Delores Vaughn's( great great grandfather.) Warren L. Underwood researcher Oct. 2006

Source: 1880 United States Census, Moniteau, Cooper County, Missouri

Name Relation Martial Sex Race Age B-Place Occupation Dad's B-place Mom's B-place
Obediah Self M M W 66 (1814) TN Farmer NC NC
HARRIS
Susana Wife M F W 52 (1828) TN K-H SC TN
HARRIS
Partic H Son S M W 25 (1854) MO Laborer TN TN
HARRIS
William F Son S M W 22 (1858) MO Laborer TN TN
HARRIS
Edmon P Son S M W 18 (1862) MO Laborer TN TN
HARRIS
George L Son S M W 15 (1865) MO Laborer TN TN
HARRIS
Collen Son S M W 12 (1868) MO Laborer TN TN
HARRIS
Nolen A Son S M W 12 (1868) MO Laborer TN TN
HARRIS

Ida O. DauL. W F W 19 (1861) PA PA PA
HARRIS
Mary l. GDau. S F W 1 (1879) MO PA PA
HARRIS

*Notice a daughter in-law and a granddaughter was living with Obadiah in 1880. was IDA O. husband perhaps of James Harris or Patrick Harris? I Show Patrick had a wife named Ida A.?
Also notice the spelling's different Obediah what I show Obadiah..
December 7, 2007- made contact with Cora Olson great great great grandaughter of Obadiah Harris caraolson@gmail.com

John Harris son of Thomas Alvin Harris son of William Harris Sr.

It looks like you are on the right track. I am willing to share information warrenunderwood@sbcglobal.net

Warren

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 3:02PM GMT
Thanks Warren. I have sent a genealogy report to your email address. Hope to hear from you soon.

Posted: 13 Dec 2007 4:53PM GMT
Surnames: Harris
Greetings Sharon:

Does your Harris database have any records/information about the parents, siblings, or ancestors of John Harris/John C. Harris who married Frances (Fanny) Hall on January 7, 1800, in Clark County, Kentucky?

Thank you Sharon!

Your friend, Jim

Posted: 13 Dec 2007 5:00PM GMT
Surnames: Harris Family in North Carolina and Missouri
No, I'm sorry I don't have those names in my files. That's not to say they don't belong though. Maybe after more research, we can make a connection! Good luck in your search.

Posted: 14 Dec 2007 6:22AM GMT
Surnames: Helton, Bradshaw, Harris, Jones, & Hoskins
Hi Sharon, might you have information on the Harris family of Claiborne County, Tennessee? James Hiriam Harris, son of William & Susannah J. Thomas Harris, James born April 1857, died June 1932, Claiborne County, James married first Sarah Jane Sawyers, she born abt 1857, died abt 1897. He then married Molly Parker. I decend from the marriage of James & Sarah, by thier daughter, Carrie E. Harris, wife of Frank C. Bradshaw. Thank you for your consideration, bob h.

Posted: 14 Dec 2007 1:20PM GMT
I'm sorry, I don't have your people in my files. Good luck with your searches.

Posted: 15 Dec 2007 2:17PM GMT
slolife361,
My Harris family is from Claiborne Co. Abraham Harris married Mary Catherine Blanset in Claiborne Co. Abraham was born in VA to John P Harris and Matilda HELMANDOLLAR.

Here are their children:Creed J., Olivia, George W., Harriet, Abraham, Margaret, Isabel, Margaret, Mary, John P., Charles, Ellen, Robert Lee, Ollie. By 1880 they have moved to Missouri and the older children are not ith them.

I can't find anything on Matilda Helmandollar before 1860. But John P HARRIS whom I found with the older children in Tazewell Co VA in 1860 is believed by some to descend from Reuben HARRIS. I am not sure of that info.

Do you have any of these in your line?

Re: John and Fanny

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 4:26PM GMT
I don't have these people in my files yet. I have seen reference to them on a grave though. Do you know who John's parents were?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.