Search for content in message boards

Esther Irick (Indian) from Shamokin PA

Esther Irick (Indian) from Shamokin PA

Posted: 18 Oct 2004 7:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 28 Feb 2005 12:56PM GMT
Surnames: Esther Erick
I am looking for information on my gg grandmother. She was an Indian who married my granfather Ignatz Deitman. She was born around 1834 and died in 1907. Her name was Esther Irick. This is all the info I have. She lived in Shamokin Pennsylvania. Any infor would be appreciated.

Re: Esther Irick (Indian) from Shamokin PA

Bob Irick (View posts)
Posted: 4 Nov 2004 2:08PM GMT
Dee,
My GG Grandfather was John Irick from Shamokin, but I don't have any info on an Esther -
Sorry.
Bob

Judith Enello (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2005 1:12AM GMT
Surnames: EIRICH , IRICK, DIETMAN
Why do you think Esther was an Indian? My great-grandfather's widow married Philip Dietman. His sister, Hester,Esther Eirich married Ignatius Dietman (Notsy Dietman killed by the Molly Maguires) . They were of German descent, not Indian...but enough information looks the same. Are we researching the same family?

Stephanie John (View posts)
Posted: 11 Nov 2006 2:07AM GMT
She was also my gg mother. I'm Charlie Deitman's granddaughter. I have a photo that we think is of her. I have other info, too - census data, info on her parents, etc.

Deitman family

Posted: 24 Aug 2011 1:35AM GMT
Surnames: Deitman, Dietman, Dudtman, Dateman, Diteman, Deitzman, Dittman
Hi, Judith. I just spent a week in Northumberland County. Got some good Deitman stuff, including a deed with Phillip and Mary Ann Deitman on it. I've learned a lot since this initial inquiry... would love to share info with you. The story of the "Indian wife" came from Elverta Deitman Feese and Dratha Deitman Meiser...definitely not true. I found Ignatius and Phillipine in Norwegian twp outside Pottsville in 1850 census...

Re: Deitman family

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: Deitman, Irick, Nagle
Sorry not to have found your message sooner. We decided long ago that the idea of Esther coming froom "Indian" roots was false. Are you still doing research on this family? Phil and Maryann Dietman moved to New Jersey. I can help with info aboout them. Maryann Nagle was first married to Henry Irick. He died in a mine accident in Shamokin. I am descended from this Irick family. Can I help you? Judith

Posted: 14 Jan 2012 10:49PM GMT
Surnames: Irick, Garbutt
This message cought my eye because of the place name.
Several years ago I recieved a message concerning a match with a man named Bo Garbutt with my uncles YDNA test through Family Tree DNA. When I made contact with him, he was somewhat discouraged by his result. His grandfather or grestgrandfather had been adopted by an English couple by the name of Garbutt. He was trying to see by DNA testing if he was indeed a Garbutt or another family that had partially raised the adopted man. What he did was match with my Irick at I think a distance of 2 at 67 markers. ( So far my uncles only matches have been with descendents of adopted people) My Irick YDNA is a subclade of Halogroup G which is like about 2% only appearing in tests in the states.
Anyway, I did alittle research on Shomokin and discovered that it was a company town with very poor wages and care of their employees. Shall we say, next to slave labor. Once you owned the company store--they owned you. It was a very troubled area for awhile. Could not find any records on Iricks. A John Irick and his family lived within a short radius of the area though not Shomokin. I posted on message board hoping to get some interest up in DNA testing in the Pa area. My particular bunch of Iricks--just appear-- in the Norris dam area of Tenn about 1800. There are different theories of which of the basically 7 groups of Iricks they could be related to but there is no interest in the Irick surname group to investigate.
This letter reminded me of those two children who were adopted out from? A William and a Annie. This happened around 1870.
Bo is still alive and hoping.
Joyce

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 3:06AM GMT
Surnames: Irick, Irich, Irish, Eirich
Joyce: I am not sure I understand much of what appears in your posting. I cannot help with DNA testing. I too have visited in the Shamokin area. Information at the Northumberland Hist. Soc. is filed under IRICK, IRICH, EIRICH and even IRISH for this family. They can be found in the census records at Ancestry under Coal Twp. They also appear in Floyd's history of the area.
You are correct in thinking that this (coal mining) was not a prosperous way to make a living. Life was hard. My great grandfather Henry Irick fought in the Civil War and came home safely, only to die in the mine months later. I am sure that the violence around activity with the Mollies was a factor in their moving away. Is there something I can help with other than DNA ? Judith

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 4:59AM GMT
Surnames: Irick Garbutt
I am sorry that my letter was not clear.
I had my elderly uncle YDNA tested. There were only a few matches and they were all from people that had an ancestor that had been adopted at some point and did nto know what their true surname was.
One man that did contact me was Bo Garbutt. His grandfather or ggrandfather had been adopted around 1870 by an English born couple that had came to the states. There was also a sister that had been adopted. Garbutts ancestor grew up thinking he was Garbutt and later changed his name to someone that he suspected was family and then changed it back. Now Bo was trying to find the right surname by DNA testing. The Haplogroup that my Irick and Bo's tested out to is G2. This only appears in about 2% of the US population.
The addoption took place in the Shamokin area. The only Irick that I found there was a John Irick in a fairly near radius of Shamokin at the time. I found a contact of the family. They had no knowledge of any lost or orphaned children and none of their relatives were interested in being DNA'd.
Bo still contacts me at times "hoping" that I have found something new.
I just thought that I would throw this out there again--since people were trying to find someone. Perhaps someone that knew something would reply.
My ancestors are related to this Irick, but probably not the direct line.
My group of Iricks history only starts Union, Anderson, Knox Co Tennesse area around 1800. We cannot get further back than that.

Posted: 15 Jan 2012 3:59PM GMT
Surnames: IIrick, Dietman, Haag
Thank you for the reply. I will ask my Irick cousins if they have been DNA tested. The John Irick that you discovered may be the brother of my Henry, Their father was Jacob Irick. He was first in the Shamokin area 1840 census. Before that he lived in Schuylkill Co. ( I never remember how to spell that one!) His wife was Elizabeth Haag. Their children were John, Maryann, Margaret, Elizabeth, Susan, Jacob, Henry and Esther. I do not know of any children being adopted--but there were tragic events in this time frame. When the family was "broken", children went to live with other family members. The family bible I have seen states that the Dietman and Nagle lines came from Donzdorf, Germany. I doubt if the Irick and Dietmans came from the same place. I suspect my Irick line came from the several "Penn. Dutch" settlements around Lancaster,PA or even Albany, NY. If you need more info, I would be glad to share. Judith
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.