Search for content in message boards

Joseph D. Campbell family of Hickman County

Joseph D. Campbell family of Hickman County

j falls (View posts)
Posted: 21 May 2006 12:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Campbell
I am searching for the family of Joseph D. Campbell and wife Rachel. Children Joseph D., Margaret,Frances, Virginia, Mary, and Armsted W. who were living in Hickman County in the 1850 census.
Joseph D. (born abt 1833) and mother Rachel,
Mary Z and Armsted W. came to Hopkins County Texas by 1860. Would like to have information about the family.

Re: Joseph D. Campbell family of Hickman County

Posted: 13 Jun 2006 5:06AM GMT
What info would you like on the family? Rachel lived until after 1880 in Texas. Daughters Margaret, Virginia and Frances were also in Texas living not far from Rachel in the 1860 census. I believe that Joseph D. Campbell may have been the son of William Cambell (born 1775) who lived in Hickman County, TN and the nephew of Richard Campbell of Hickman and Perry Counties. You can contact me at lindaorourke0015@yahoo.com

Judy Falls (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 2006 9:43PM GMT
Joseph was hanged during the Civil War, and I had researched this hanging as well as others in our area of Texas. Any information on the family would be appreciated. This information is detailed in Brushmen and Vigilantes: Civil War Dissent in Texas, Texas A& M Press, 2000.
I would be willing to share any information that I have with you. Judy Falls, 1019 FR 1880, Cooper, Texas 75432

Posted: 17 Sep 2009 1:17PM GMT
Just an update on JD...he was not the son of William Campbell but from the Campbell line in Maury CO. Rachel's father listed her and children in his will, Hickman CO. Henry C Campbell was also a son of JD and Rachell, also named in the will. Copy can be emailed.

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 7:22PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell, Martin, Coleman
I confess I am confused. Was Rachel born a Martin or a Coleman? Would very much appreciate your e-mailing me her father's will!

Terry (Phillips) Litvan
Winona, MN

Posted: 22 Sep 2012 7:37PM GMT
I do not have the will. See the email/query/ that is posted just before yours on this line. I will have to check my files to find out what I had. My files were donated to the local public library and a university for research connected to Brushmen and Viglantes. . . Texas A & M Press . jfalls

Posted: 28 Sep 2012 6:49AM GMT
Just to clarify....Joseph D was not a son of William Campbell 1776.... his mother was a Denton and Joseph is listed in his father's will Maury CO TN.

Posted: 15 Oct 2013 12:21AM GMT
Oct 1820 Maury County Court Record.....from book of Jill K Garrett...War of 1812 Soldiers of Maury CO TN.

"John Campbell, deceased, late soldier in the US Army.....begotten on the body of his wife Ellen Campbell".....
Joseph D Campbell..."will be 15 on 13 Dec 1817"
Elizabeth Campbell..." will be 13 on 13 Dec 1818"
Susannah..."will be 11 on 16 Feb 1818"
John..."will be 9 on 10 Feb 1818"
William..."will be 5 on 30 Nov 1817"

Strange way to list ages of children. Contributed by Mickey Fournier.

Thought that Ellen was Ellen Denton, daughter of Joseph Denton, ( could Joseph D Campbell be named after him...Joseph Denton Campbell???) will dated 29 Jan 1824, Maury CO TN. page 227. Wife Elenor, dau Phebe Smith, dau Martha Johnson, dau Elenor Campbell, son Abram Denton, son Benjamin Denton, dau Hannah Hilley or Willey, dau Polly Campbell, Dau Elizabeth Hopkins, dau Rhoda McCutchen, grandson Charles Denton. Nine mentioned legatees. Wife Elenor executrix. 30 July 1818. Signed Joseph Denton. Witnessess: William Willey, Ambrose B Richards, Nathan Garner. Recorded 29 Jan 1824.

Posted: 13 Apr 2014 8:48AM GMT
Joseph D Campbell married Rachel Martin, dau of Geo Martin of Hickman. Deed to her as wife of Joseph Campbell and her son HC Campbell. Will email deed if needed. From the reading of the deed, George wanted to make sure only Rachel rec'd the land and not her husband Joseph.She later sold this and moved to Texas. It is thought but not proven, that either she and Joseph had divorced or he had died.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.