Search for content in message boards

William Stough (1793 - 1878)

Janet Terman Newman (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: STOUGH, TERMAN, BROWNELLER, WHITMORE
William Stough Sr. (1793 - 1878) married 1st 1815 Barbara Whitmore. He married 2nd. Elizabeth Terman (need her dates) about 1822. Elizabeth d. 1831/37 (where?). William Stough m.3rd Susannah Browneller by 1837 (need marriage record). Susannah (Browneller) Stough (1807-1848) is buried Richland Co. OH and her children all Ohio born. William married twice more, 4th wife buried OH and the 5th (widow Egner) in IN.

William Stough was born in Stoughtown. Which township?

Janet Terman Newman (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: STOUGH, TERMAN
Hi Kathy,

I am trying to learn about William Stough (1793 - 1878) reputedly born in Stoughstown. The modern map looks as if it is Dickinson Township. However the tax records for Dickinson [researching Terman] only showed Jacob and Jacob Jr. Stough. William Stow (sic) only showed up on the 1829 list. William Stough married Elizabeth Terman about 1822. Elizabeth's dates aren't known nor is there a record of her marriage. Only mention is of her Stough children in her father's will. I was told that it was known that William Stough was her husband from "a cousin". William Stough (1793 - 1878) settled in Whitley Co. IN. So did Elizabeth's brother Samuel Terman (1820-1883). There is a 23 year difference between the brother-in-laws.

Who are your Stoughs? My information is rather limited having just begun looking at William Stough a little more closely.
Janet

Stoughstown

Posted: 14 Jun 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 18 Jul 2001 1:55AM GMT
Surnames: STOUGH
Stoughstown is basically a crossroads, a few miles north of Shippensburg on Rt.11, where the road to Big Spring cuts off to the NW. It's probably in Dickinson twp. I have Stoughs in my family tree from there. Would love to exchange info.

Stoughstown

Posted: 8 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Dec 2003 8:46PM GMT
Surname: Stough
> -------------------------
>
> Which township is Stoughstown, Cumberland Co., located in? Initiallly looked
> like it is located in Dickinson. However the Stoughstown Lutheran Church
> graveyard is listed on Cumberland site in Newton.....

The 1858 atlas has it in Newton Twp., with ca 15 properties, including
Mellinger's Hotel, Green's Store and a Lutheran Church. Other names I can make
out are Minnich, Redig, Much, Walker, Woodburn, Grimes, Waggoner, Reeder, and
Lindsey.

According to The 1886 History of Cumberland Co., Stoughstown dates to the
beginning of the 19th century, and was named for Col. John Stough who kept a
tavern there, which was later (prior to 1846)kept by his son. Presumably that
property later became Mellinger's Hotel. Stoughstown was a popular stopping
place
for the heavy wagons that were used to carry freight in the days before the
railroads, but it probably wasn't a very big place in the 1830's.

Happy Hunting,

Bill

Stoughstown

Janet Newman (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Stough
Which township is Stoughstown, Cumberland Co., located in? Initiallly looked like it is located in Dickinson. However the Stoughstown Lutheran Church graveyard is listed on Cumberland site in Newton.

How large a place would it have been in 1830s? Did anyone besides Stoughs live there? Have a Mrs. Susannah Browneller (a 30 year old widow) living in Stoughstown in 1837. (??a Stough daughter?)

Thanks for the help,
Janet

Wm. Stough m.1837 Widow Susannah Browneller

Janet Newman (View posts)
Posted: 14 Sep 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: STOUGH, BROWNELLER, TERMAN
Mrs. Susannah (---) Browneller (1807-1848) was living in Stoughstown in 1837 when she married William Stough of Richland OH. She and her daughter Elizabeth Ann Browneller (who died 1849 unmarried) went to Richland Co. OH where both mother and daughter died.

William Stough remarried twice more -no children- and moved to Whtitley Co. IN with children of 2nd and 3rd wives and died there. The children of 2nd wife, Elizabeth Terman, mostly died in Whitley Co. but except for a memorial to David Stough who died in CW, what happened to the other 5 children by Susannah (---) is unknown.

Any trace of this family appreciated. Hopefully Susannah's maiden name can be found.
Thanks, Janet

Re: William Stough (1793 - 1878)

Posted: 3 Nov 2001 1:13PM GMT
Edited: 16 Apr 2002 11:07PM GMT
Might there be a Sidney or Dore (Dorothy?) STOUGH in that line?

Re: William Stough (1793 - 1878)

Janet (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2001 1:26PM GMT
Surnames: Stough
No such names found. You can check out the William Stough Family Group Sheet at: http://www.kneller.com/WhitleyIN/group/0019.html

Re: Stoughstown

Posted: 15 Mar 2008 1:51AM GMT
Hello. Most likely Stoughstown is in South Newton Twp. It is basically a little town and you blink and you are through it. My parents live the next road up from Stoughstown and there township is South Newton. I found the message board by doing a query on the Walker surname.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.