Search for content in message boards

gibson/wright/coltart, Glencairn, Dumfries

gibson/wright/coltart, Glencairn, Dumfries

Posted: 25 Apr 2002 3:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 8 Jul 2006 11:10PM GMT
Surnames: Gibson, Hyslop, McGhee, Broadfoot
Looking for any information regarding Thomas N Gibson, born to Grace Maxwell Gibson. He was the informant on her death certificate in 1968. Grace was married to 1. Anthony Wright and 2. David Coltart, and is buried in Glencairn Kirkyard, Moniaive. Would also like information on Anthony Gibson Wright, her son from her marriage to Anthony Wright. He was married to Mary R Bell, and died in 1985, and is also buried at Glencairn Kirkyard. My grandfather William Hyslop Gibson was Graces brother. He emigrated to NZ in 1923, and family contact was lost.

Re: gibson/wright/coltart, Glencairn, Dumfries

Dean W. Sandeman (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2002 8:59PM GMT
Dear Ms. Cunningham,

I read with interest you query on Wright. I am a researcher for a branch of the Ferguson Family of Craigdarroch. The Craigdarroch Fergusons became Cunninghams. I have the following snippet on the Wrights.

JOHN FERGUSON.
b. 1755.
c. Feb. 16, 1755, the son of Sir James Ferguson and Elenora Dalrymple at Drumlanrig.
m. April 27, 1778 to Jenny Wright at St. John the Devine's, Preston, England (c. May 23,1754 as Janet Wright, the daughter of Andrew Wright, and Elizabeth Dickson of Dumfries, Dumfries, Scotland.
d. "John Ferguson in Drumjohn in the Parish of Kirgunnion; deceased on 20 October last and filed 24th October 1814.

Sources can be sent if you need.

It crosses my memory that perhaps you should also look in Preston for Wrights as there were close economic ties between Moniave ( or merchants in Dumfries) and Preston.
Fergusons, Wrights, and Dalrympl were in both places.

Also Maxwells were orginally at Maxwelton and sold to the Lauries. (There may have been a family relationship.) I think the name Gibson was either in trade or a merchant in Dumfries in the 1700's And McGhee was married to Ferguson. But her father in law Ferguson, as Justice of the Peace, in late 1600's declared her aunt a McGhee a witch and had her burned at the stake. See the Moniave Gazette or talk to editor. Fergusons then married a McGhee girl who placed a curse on the groom of Craigdarroch and haunts the house to this very day. From what I have been able to assemble the McGhees fled to Ireland and were bannished from Dumfries. Mostly, they changed the spelling to McGee, MacGee or Gee. Some came to America. Some eventually came back to Glencairn, or perhaps some recanted. It is a story that could use a family historian.

Dean W. Sandeman

Posted: 3 Aug 2002 11:22AM GMT
Most intruiging bit of your history which I picked up looking for a connection with a GGGgrandmother who was a Harrison Ferguson (dau of Robert Ferguson) widow/? of one Cunningham we guess, as her first child was a Robert Cunningham..no history of him. She then married Thomas Telfer in Douglas, Larnark and produced a son James soon after. Coincidence in name connection?

Dean W. Sandeman (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2002 9:29PM GMT
Dear Ms. Cunningham,

I can not help you with your goal. I am a researcher specializing in the Fergusons of Craigdarroch in the 1700's and have some knowledge of the Lauries at Maxwelton. I am in Oshkosh WI USA.

I am very interested in the McGhie Family of Dumfrieshire area (late 1600's)that married into the Fergusons. One alternate spelling is McGee. There is some indication of witchcraft, spells and ghosts.

Also the name Cunnynghame in Burkes Landed Gentry and at one time the Earls of Glencairn tie into the Fergusons over and over again.

Sorry I can not be of more help.

Dean W. Sandeman

Posted: 7 Apr 2007 3:23AM GMT
Surnames: ferguson, wright
Dean
I am George Alonzo Ferguson, that had a DNA search done, and it matches Andrew Ferguson (36/37) abd Joseph Clarence Ferguson (35/37). Thus I am of the same stock which produced Harry Ferguson of tractor fame. I was informed that you researched Andrew's line, and my John Ferguson, born abt 1785 may be a son of John Ferguson and Jenny Wright.
George A Ferguson
fergusongeorge@hotmail.com

Posted: 10 Dec 2009 8:01PM GMT
Edited: 11 Dec 2009 6:51PM GMT
Surnames: McGehee, McGhee, McGee
Dean,

I hope you are still out there. I am interested in any information on the McGhee/McGee/ McGehee surname in Dumfriesshire. I am also looking for the surname leaving Scotland in the the late 1600's for America or being transported to America for some reason. Information on this surname being in Scotland would also help me.

Leon
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.