Search for content in message boards

J. W. Crabtree

J. W. Crabtree

Kathy Cashion (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Pension
Surnames: Crabtree, Fretwell, Duran, Polk, Jackson
The following information was extracted from the Confederate Pension aplication of J. W. Crabtree of Canton, Van Zandt County:

Confederate Pensioner's File # 30153, February 21, 1913, Van Zandt County, Texas;

J. W. Crabtree--Stone Point Community, age 70, was born Oct. 16, 1842, died August 23, 1931. In County about 37 years. Co. I, 4th Texas Infantry, (Hood's Brigade, Navarro Rifles) Confederate States Army. Enlisted July 17, 1861 at Corsicana, Navarro County, TX. Paroled at Appomattax Court House, Virginia, April 09, 1865.

One witness to his confederate pensioner's application was John W. Duran, who was 71 yrs old and lived at 309 W. 3rd Ave. Corsicana, Navarro County, TX who stated that he had known J. W. Crabtreefor about 54 years and first knew him in Navarro County and served with him during the war.

Another witness was J. M. Polk, who was 74 yrs old and a resident of Austin, TX, stated he knew J. W. Crabtree for about 52 yrs and first knew him in Corsicana and served with him in the war.

Another witness was W J Jackson of Travis County , who served with J. W. during the was.

Application for Mortuary Warrant, Van Zandt County, TX. I, R. C. Fretwell do hereby certify that I am the person whom is entrusted the paying of the accounts and indebtness of the late J. W. Crabtree, who died February 21, 1913 near the town of oCanton, V Z, Copunty. I am related to this person as Grand-son in law and my home is located near the town of Canton, Van Zandt County, Texas, Rt 01

Pensioner's name: J. W. Crabtree
signed RC Fretwell

Re: J. W. Crabtree

Jerry Wilson (View posts)
Posted: 23 Sep 2001 7:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Crabtree, Payne
Kathy is your James and Elizabeth Crabtree from Bedford County Virginia and related to the Joseph and Phoebe Payne family of that county?

Posted: 13 Jan 2002 4:20AM GMT
Edited: 20 Aug 2002 5:47PM GMT

I read about the Navarro Rifles in J. W. Polk's book which is online. John W. Crabtree was wounded on July 1, 1862 at Malvern Hill, Va. He was one of the few who survived until Appomattox. In 1908 he lived at Stone Point in Van Zandt County.

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 7:11PM GMT
Surnames: crabtree
I think this is my great grandfather. I have been trying to find out about his birth in Mo. He married Mary Elizabeth Beasley and my grandfather William Wesley was born. E. died and he married Susan Dourogh (sp) and l they had twin girls, Lela and Lula. After her death he married Josephine Fails, a widow. Any info you have would be appreciated.

Posted: 13 Sep 2004 1:17PM GMT
well, its a curious thing. The 1850 and 1860 census shows him as born in Texas not Missouri. He lived in Navarro County with William Carroll Crabtree and his wife Mary Estes apparently as their son.William was a blacksmith and is buried at Blooming Grove Cemetery, There is a great deal of documentation on the Crabtree and Estes family online. But most ignore John W. Crabtree. The ones who do know of him write him off as dying young. Maybe he was estranged from his family. From census records the family seems to have bounced back and forth between Navarro and Newton County, Missouri in the 1840-1860 period. They are definitely tied to Newton County, Missouri.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.