Search for content in message boards

Barry--County Cork & Jersey City

Barry--County Cork & Jersey City

Posted: 22 Mar 2008 7:09AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Clarke,Gillick,McNeil,Cannon,Carey,Curran,Egan McCarthy
My Grandfather was Robert Barry,born April 1876,in Skahanagh South,Civil Parish of Kilshanagh,East Cork.This is near Watergrasshill,County Cork.
His father was Bartholomew(Batt) Barry;His mother was Elizabeth(Bessie) McCarthy.
His known siblings were : #1 Richard,dob 5/17/1869 ; #2 Mary(Minnie),dob 5/20/1881 ; #3 Thomas,dob 8/6/1871 ; I believe ther were probably more siblings.
Robert immigrated to US in 1901,settled in Jersey City,married Delia(Bridget) Egan of County Kilkenny, & had the following children : #1 Elizabeth,dob 11/1906,died young ; #2 Robert,dob 2/1908,died young ; #3 William,dob 9/24/1911 ; #4 John,dob 5/2/1914 ; #5 Richard Francis(my father),dob 5/4/1917.
Robert's Brother Richard also immigrated to US in1895,settled in Jersey City,married Anna Shinnick,& had the following children : #1 John B,dob 11/15/1898 ; #2 Edward,dob 1903 ; #3 Robert,dob 1905 ; #4 Eileen or Irene,dob 1914 ; #5 Elizabeth,1906,died young ; #6 Richard E,died young.
Robert & Richard both worked for the Erie Railroad.
Mary also came to US,but unknown as to where.I don't know anything else about Thomas.
Thank you Richard S Barry

Re: Barry--County Cork & Jersey City

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 2:29AM GMT
Just beginning to search for Barry ancestors from County Cork. My Maternal grandmother was first generation American born in Norwalk, CN, approx. 1893. Several siblings died young from diseases, accidents, etc. Supposedly my maternal great-grandfather was named John Barry and was related to the John Barry of Naval History.
Maybe related to your Barry's?

kathyc7360@hotmail.com

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 3:50AM GMT
Hello Kathy--- Good luck if you are just beginning search for Barrys.The only Conn. connection I know with my Barrys is with the Sextons.My mother had spoken of a Miss or Mrs Sexton ,a nurse in Conn., being a cousin or some type of relative to the Barrys.There was also a Daniel Sexton who was a Baptism sponsor for my Father or one of his siblings,1908-1917.
I do not know all of Robert Barry's siblings.Since there definitely were Barry relations in Conn.,could you please furnish the names & approx. ages of your Barrys who came from Ireland?
Thanks Rick

Posted: 8 Apr 2008 1:19PM GMT
At this point, I don't even have that sketchy info. Really starting from scratch. Will be happy to share when info available.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.