Search for content in message boards

Peabody Square, Shadwell

Peabody Square, Shadwell

Posted: 3 Aug 2002 9:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 3 Aug 2002 9:20AM GMT
Can anyone supply information on Peabody Square, Shadwell,where my Grandfather was born. I have been unable to find any information on this place anywhere

Would love to hear from anyone with information or who has an old photograph of the Square or any buildings in it. Thank you

Re: Peabody Square, Shadwell

Posted: 6 Aug 2002 9:19AM GMT
I don't know of a Peabody square, Peabody is a large London charitable housing trust, they do have a large estate (in the inner city sense of the word) in E1 around John Fisher Street but this would be thought of as more Wapping than Shadwell, don't know if this is any help. The trust has a website www.peabody.org.uk

Posted: 5 Sep 2002 12:19AM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2003 12:05AM GMT
Hi Jeanette
In London Victorian Streets there are three Peabody Squares listed, as follows:
Peabody Square: Islington N.1
Peabody Square: London Road, ST.SAVIOUR SOUTHWARK
Peabody Square: Blackfriars Road, Bermondsey SE1.
There are a number of Peabody Buildings listed here, though none for Shadwell.
This site might be useful www.englandpast.net/ and you might find photographs there.
The site you have been given for Peabody Trust has an e-mail address, it is possible they could help you - I hope they are helpful as I have e-mailed them with a query!!
Best wishes
Kathleen

nateleigh (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2002 8:39PM GMT

Peabody Square IS SITUATED NEAR SHADWELL IN THE BOROUGH OF ISLINGTON IN LONDON

Peabody Islington Estate, London
Peabody Estate, Islington, London
The Peabody Trust was founded in London in 1862 by George Peabody, the wealthy American banker and philanthropist. It is the largest charity and housing association dedicated to housing the poor in London and has a stock of over 17,000 homes, mostly consisting of densely-built sites in inner London - the famous Peabody Estates with some cottage estates in the suburbs. The earliest surviving Peabody buildings in London are on the Islington Estate (1864) with others at Shadwell, Chelsea, and Blackfriars dating from soon afterwards. These early estates are historically of seminal importance as being among the first to address the problems of housing the poor in a consistent way, with an identifiable architectural form. The brick-built Italianate blocks grouped in a square forming a courtyard and thus protected' from the outside world, are the hall-mark of the early estates. The famous 'Peabody Square', familiar to many Londoners and visitors to London, was conceived by Henry Darbishire (1825-99), architect to the Peabody Trust from 1864 until 1885. Following the listing of the Peabody estates at Islington and Blackfriars in 1996, the Peabody Trust approached English Heritage with the idea of preparing a conservation plan for the Islington Estate. The plan would identify the qualities of historical and architectural significance of the estate, the areas vulnerable to change, the likely impact on the fabric of repointing, window replacement, new cabling etc, and, from these, draw up a policy for the future sensitive treatment of the estate. From this plan, principles could be abstracted and made relevant and appropriate to other estates. An historian from HART, the English Heritage historic buildings adviser, the conservation officer for Islington Borough Council and the architect from the Peabody Trust are collaborating on the Conservation Plan for Islington Estate, which is intended to provide a useful working model for the care of other Victorian housing estates in years to come. A joint publication between Peabody and English Heritage is planned when the conservation plan has been completed and agreed by all parties.

I HOPE THIS HELPS.

Jeannette (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2002 9:45PM GMT
Dear Kathleen

Thank you so much for the information. I shall certainly look up the site you have mentioned. So nice of you. Thanks once again. The Peabody Square my Grandfathe was born in is listed under Shadwel and Wapping and I have managed to find a print of Peabody Square, Shadwell in the book "London's East End - Life and Traditions" by Jane Cox available at any Library or to buy on Amazon. The print is on page number 91.

Hope this information might help somebody else.

Warmest wishes

Jeannette

dennis (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2002 8:55PM GMT
my grandparents lived in peabody buildings pre 1937we used to visit from paddington

Posted: 30 Nov 2007 11:32AM GMT
Surnames: Peabody, Cox, Pope, Leg, Gimber, Graham
Hi,

Your post was of interest to me as for two reasons. I am currently researching ancestors in Shadwell and Wapping with the following surnames:

Cox
Pope
Leg
Gimber

in the following streets

Queens Head Place
Queens Head Alley
Red Lion Street
Great Hermitage Street

However, I have also been investigating the following the surname Cox and Graham in Royal Mint Square Stepney, where a number of the buildings were erected and known as Peabody buildings.

You may have already stumbled across this since you raised this post, but you can find out a lot about the conditions people lived in in 19th Century London, including typical occupations of the streets, social economic stading and old maps from www.booth.lse.ac.uk.

I hope anyone stumbling across this thread finds it useful. If you should be searching the same names or have any information that you feel is useful, please let me know.

Posted: 14 Feb 2008 7:12PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Lineaman
I have found some ancestors who lived in Queens Head Alley.In 1841 the Head of the household was a lighterman .I did manage to find an old map and Queens Head Alley was a small Alley near Tower bridge
His father was also a lighterman and lived in Panningham? Street.
THE FAMILY NAME WAS LINEAMAN
Queens Head Alley was Civil parish St John Wapping.Hundred of OSSULSTONE(TOWER DIVISION)TOWER HAMLET,Reg Dis Stepney,Sub dis Shadwell and Wapping
Panningham Street Civil Parish ST George in the East,Ossulstone(Tower Division)Tower Hamlets
Reg Dis St George in the East Sub dis St John
Another relative a Matthew Henry Lineaman of 42 Dempsey Street Stepney drowned in the river off Blackwall pier on the 21st October 1903.
I have copies of some documents which is where we obtained the details of the gentlemen mentioned and the rest is from the 1841 cencus.
Hope this is of interest to you.

Posted: 14 Feb 2008 9:00PM GMT
Hi Tucks,
the address is probably Pennington St.
Regards Eddie

Posted: 23 Jun 2010 9:42PM GMT
I think you may be referring to Pennington Street. My family also lived in Pennington Street (my mother's grandparents were also called Tuck - is this a coincidence).

Sue
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.