Search for content in message boards

William Henry Weatherup , son of Robert Weatherup

William Henry Weatherup , son of Robert Weatherup

Posted: 9 Dec 2006 7:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Weatherup
William ( William Henry according to the marriage registry here) was listed as being around 20 when he married my grandmother in Wimbledon, Surrey in 1919. His Father is named - as a 'Robert Weatherup Deceased.' My only surving Weatherup link, my late father's younger sister aged 80, insists that her father was definately Canadaian athough she was taken from Canada when only a toddler. Grandmother's ( Masters) family spoke of it, but not often (as you can imagine, William having taken up with a 16 year old girl as soon as his wife and children were in England and refusing to pay their return fare back home and the marriage has not been approved of in any case).
My late father, Frederick Charles Weatherup was born in Percy.Percy does not exist anymore, but my Father told me he though that he lived in Northumberland .HisGrandparents were farmers - he thinks , somewhere not too far away and that his own mother raised pigs.About 30 years ago, my only cousin went to Canda ( where a great aint had also moved not long after Grandmother). She refused to speak about the Weatherups, only to say that William was buried in Stone Cemetary. My father and his sister, although bought up in poverty by their English Grandparents, were photographed regulary at first, for 'Canada'. My father spoke of his owbn beloved Grandmother there who was so disgusted by Williams actions that she had wriiten to the young boy saying she would leave gher farm to him when she died. My father never heard from her again so presumed she died sometinme before 1936 when at 15 he left home, lied about his age and joined the army. His mother, Edith May Weatherup ( nee Masters) had simply walked out of her own parents home one day and 'disappeared' sometime in the late 20's or very early 30's. She may have even returned to Canada to find William, but we do not know..

To find this missing family would mean so much to me, especially as there is virtually no family on my mother's side either.It was also sad when my father died in September, and we his children could not stand up and say anything about his life or family before he returned from the war and a long, courageous career in the Lodon Fire Brigade - as we know virtually nothing. I would like to be able to correct that so that my own young sons know more about their beloved Grandad. Please can anyone help me?

Re: William Henry Weatherup , son of Robert Weatherup

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 8:46AM GMT
Surnames: Weatherup
In the 1901 census, there is a Robt Weatherup with a son Wm of about the right age. All born Ontario rural,
11 27 129 Weatherup Robt. M Head M Nov 15 1855 45, Irish, Presbyterian, farmer
11 28 129 Weatherup Sarah J. F Wife M Sep 14 1865 35, Irish, Baptist
11 29 129 Weatherup Ida F Daughter S Dec 25 1888 12
11 30 129 Weatherup George M Son S Nov 14 1890 10
11 31 129 Weatherup Mary F Daughter S Oct 12 1895 5
11 32 129 Weatherup Ella F Daughter S Jul 12 1897 3
11 33 129 Weatherup William M Son S Nov 2 1898 2
11 34 129 Weatherup Annie F Daughter S Mar 3 1900 1
1901 Census of Canada
Subdistrict: Cramahe, NORTHUMBERLAND (East/Est), ONTARIO
District Number: 95
Subdistrict Number: e-5
Archives Microfilm: T-6485

There's a note at the bottom of the census that this is possibly a ggrandfather of Susan at roneallan@btopenworld.com
(not sure if that is you or not)

Posted: 10 Dec 2006 10:50PM GMT
Hi, Just thought I'd mention that Percy still exists. The village of Percy is now called Warkworth. I don't know anything about your Weatherup family but the Stone Cemetery is just a bit south of Warkworth just before the border of Percy Township and Cramahe Township. I think it is available on microfilm from the Ontario Archives.- Regards- Mary

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 1:58AM GMT
William Henry Weatherup is buried in Stones Cemetery.
It says Nov.2, 1900. He died Jan. 31, 1951.

The 1901 census gives his birth as Nov. 2, 1898.
I have a document that shows him in Wolsley in 1915, when he says he was born in 1892.

He says he was born in Roseneath, which is in the township of Percy, Northumberland co.
you may wish to contact me directly for more information and a physical description of this man.
Bill Mills

Posted: 12 Dec 2006 6:25AM GMT
Dear Bill,
This is very interesting indeed, if still not a little confusing.William Henry Weatherup was my paternal Grandfather.He married in England in 1919 and gave his age as 21. Perhaps he was a man who would bend the truth when necessary.If this is the same william Henry then he has a father named Robert deceased before 1919 according to his marriage document - again if he can be believed.What is this other document?Is it another marriage license by any chance or perhaps a land document?
Whatever this mans reasons for bending the truth, if he did, it does not really concern me. He was my blood Grandfather and I need to know about him so I can learn more about my rootsand little traits (for example if it has anything to do with my affinity to the land).
My father grew up with out him and mostly without his mother too. I think this haunted him until his recent death, all of the uncertainty and not knowing what happened. His main concern was to learn what happened to his Grandmother there, whom he remembered fondly.His legacy to me has been this awful burden of the unknown. All I need is to know for him and closure his remaining sister before she passes over too. Who knows, I might even have more blood relatives who might like to share contact.After all, they are not a part to any past untruths unless as innocent bystanders.I would like to take this further in private and can be contacted through my author website www.mayflowermaid.com.
Warm Regards Sue Weatherup - Allan

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 12:52AM GMT
Thank you. I have checked this outthroughly now and can confirm that these are my family line.Thank you for your help. Sue

Posted: 28 Dec 2006 12:54AM GMT
Thank you Mary. I now have been able to find a contempary map of the area with your input. It makes life easier!
Best Wishes Sue

Posted: 23 Dec 2010 8:38AM GMT
I now have this branxch of the Weatherup tree fully researched and backed up by records if anyone else needs information please feel free to contact me at roneallan@btopenworld.com.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.