Search for content in message boards

Smiths of Fairfield County, CT and New York

Smiths of Fairfield County, CT and New York

Posted: 18 May 2003 2:48AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Jan 2006 1:53AM GMT
I have a difficult SMITH problem and I am hoping that someone can help.

My Jonas SMITH, reportedly born in 1737 (possibly in Stamford, Fairfield Co., Connecticut), married Mercy BUXTON, daughter of Charles BUXTON and Mary (or Mercy) LOUNSBURY. Mercy, Jonas' wife, was born on October 21, 1744 in Stamford, CT. Jonas and Mercy had the following children:

Lydia
Jesse, born November 25, 1766 (he married Jane MILLER)
Nathan, born February 1770 (he married Jane--last name unknown)
Enos, born about 1771
John, born about 1775 (he married Phebe HORTON)
Sally (or Sarah), born February 25, 1777 (she married Isaac HORTON)
Joseph, born about 1780
Charles, born about 1782

Jonas, Mercy, and the kids, including Nathan (adult by now), moved to what became Bradford County, Pennsylvania and were some of the early pioneers there in 1785. They seem to have moved from New York, possibly Dutchess County, and probably purchased land through the Susquehanna Company. Jonas died about 1800 and Mercy then married William COOLBAUGH.

I have been unable to find Jonas' parents. However, the BUXTONS lived for a long time in Stamford, Fairfield Co., Connecticut. Henry SMITH, born 1619, was the only SMITH line in Stamford in its early days. Henry SMITH's property and the BUXTON property were right next to each other. It seems highly possible that Mercy BUXTON's husband, Jonas SMITH, was a part of Henry's family.

Now the difficult part--I have been unable to find a Jonas in Henry's line. Henry and his wife, however, did have a son, Daniel. Daniel married Hannah KNAPP and one of their sons was Benjamine. Benjamine SMITH married Hannah HUSTED and they had eight children. One of those children was reportedly Jonah (or Job) SMITH, born October 27, 1737. Could this be my Jonas???????

What may make it all work is that some of the SMITHS moved from Fairfield County, CT to Nine Partners, Crum Elbow or Charlotte Precinct in about 1760 and settled on a farm there. (I am not sure what the area was called during the 1760s, but will certainly pursue this, as well.) Jonas SMITH and Mercy BUXTON are suspected to have married about 1763 somewhere in New York. Does anyone have information that can help me with this puzzle? Thank you!!!

Re: Smiths of Fairfield County, CT and New York

Posted: 19 May 2003 11:29AM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Main.
This is probably a long shot but my Smith names kept popping up in your post. I am looking for info on a Benjamin Smith who supposedly came from Rhode Island (or Vermont) and lived in Otsego County NY (town of Edmeston) with his wife, Polly Main. In 1835 the family moved to West Clarksville, NY, Allegany county. They had nine children when they moved, three more were born here. He had sons Daniel and Henry, my ancestor. Benjamin supposedly came here with some of his brothers. Benjamin was born in 1793 and died in 1888. Hope to find his parents and siblings.

Posted: 22 May 2003 1:54AM GMT
Your family could be related, but I am not sure. The Smiths I am researching lived in the Stamford area beginning in about 1641. I am attempting to connect those early Smiths with my Jonas, who was in Stamford, reportedly at his birth in 1737.

Jonas probably left Stamford for New York about 1763 where he married and began raising his family. He then moved his family to Bradford County, PA in 1785. Nathan, Jonas' son and my line, moved from PA to Ohio in the early 1800s. . So I don't have any information on the persons you are researching. Sorry.

Posted: 24 May 2003 3:23PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
Did they move to Westchester or the Goshen area? I am trying to locate the family of Edmund Lockwood Smith. I know there is some tie with the Hortons.

Fred Norton (View posts)
Posted: 27 May 2003 3:30AM GMT
One of my wife's ancestors. Do you see any connection? Thanks
Fred Norton

(Charlotte’s Ancestor)
NAME MARTHA SMITH
BORN 1715
BIRTHPLACE COLCHESTER, NEW LONDON COUNTY,
CONNECTICUT
DIED JULY 5, 1790
PLACE OF DEATH COLCHESTER, NEW LONDON COUNTY,
CONNECTICUT

FATHER
MOTHER (MAIDEN NAME)

HUSBAND JAMES MUNN JR.
MARRIAGE DATE NOVEMBER 23, 1738
PLACE OF MARRIAGE COLCHESTER, NEW LONDON COUNTY,
CONNECTICUT

CHILDREN * JAMES MUNN III
ISAIAH MUNN, b. MAY 11, 1740
ABIGAIL MUNN, b. AUGUST 14, 1746
MARY MUNN, b. . JANUARY 27, 1740/41

Information known as of May 18, 2003
Something not right about the birthdays of Isaiah and Mary
Burial: Colchester Burying Ground, Colchester, CT

Posted: 31 May 2003 2:16PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, BUXTON, HUSTED, KNAPP, LOUNSBURY, HORTON
I, too, am looking for where Jonas SMITH and family went in New York. At this point, Dutchess and/or Westchester Counties could certainly be a possibility.

Unfortunately, I have not run into a name of Lockwood within my family members. Perhaps we might be looking at the same family, but I am not sure. Hopefully we will both find what we are looking for. Cindy

Posted: 8 Jun 2003 6:41PM GMT
Edited: 4 Sep 2003 6:44PM GMT
Surnames: smith, bennett, kellogg, niles, knapp
i am looking for a samuel smith born about 1706-1716 who had a son william smith bornabout 1736-38. william smith married margery kellogg (born 1738 incolchester, ct.) in1762 in colchester. they had several children-william smith, silas smith born1769and is my ancester. my smith's intermarried with the knapp's.i have no clue where william (1736) or samuel was born. william died as a result of the wyoming massacre in pennsylvania in 1778. silas smith later moved to saratoga,n,y. and then to delaware co. ohio where he died.perhaps our lines connect and we can help each other. my line includes bennett, kellogg, niles,knapp. my family could possibly be in new london co. ct.also. any clues or help would be appreciated.

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 2:47PM GMT
Sorry, Fred, but I don't think there is any relation. I understand there was a Smith family that were in the Colchester area, but I don't think they were related to my family, in spite of the KNAPP connection. At least, that's my understanding now. Cindy

Posted: 12 Jun 2003 2:50PM GMT
Sorry, but at this point I don't think our lines connect. Although there was a Jonas, reportedly born in 1737 in Colchester, he does not seem to be my Jonas. Cindy

fred norton (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jun 2003 3:18PM GMT
Thanks, Will keep looking. Fred Norton
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.