Search for content in message boards

George Bruce

George Bruce

Posted: 10 Feb 2008 6:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bruce
hi im looking for any information on a George Bruce im unsure of his birth year, but i do know he married Anna Sutherland (suylnd on some records) on 01/03/1709 and had John Bruce 30/07/1710 ,

ive managed to trace all ancestors from presant back till george bruce but cant seem to find any other data on him at all im unsure if parhaps he moved to the caithness region at some point
hopeefully someone may have a link or a data source that ive not used
thanks scott

Re: George Bruce

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 2:07AM GMT
Please give location of your George Bruce

I have John Bruce, living in Halifax Co., Va. 1755; has son John Bruce who married Sussana Roberts in Halifax. Any kin?

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 2:13AM GMT
sorry about that ,
i thought id enterd the details of the area ,the area that the records show is mostly the sutherland and caithness countys of scotland until about the 1900s when some of the family moved to forgandeny perthshire and lanarkshire

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 3:17PM GMT
Surnames: BRUCE
We have tracked our George Bruce back to birth in about 1633 in Scotland. We think he was out of the Caithness or Ross & Cromarty area of Scotland and was captured at the Battle of Dunbar in 1650 and sent to Puritan Colony as a prisoner.

Do you know or suspect your George b. before 1700 had ancestors in Caithness?

Have you taken the DNA test for genealogy? If not, would you be willing to do so? A bunch of us in the USA descended from George b. ca 1633 would be willing to pay for the initial 25 marker test to determine if your haplotype is like his. Most Bruce test Haplotype 1R1b, but ours comes out Haplotype R1a, so easy to see if same line.
Janet (Bruce) Nelson

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 4:46PM GMT
it may be possible that my georges father is the son of your geroge but its hard to tell i guess that would mean when your george was taken as prisoner his family (kids and wife )wouldve remained here in scotland
the bruce in my side have lived in the ross/cromarty sutherland and caithness region for a few hundred years
but my george may have moved there at the time of his marriage

i should point out im scottish and living in central scotland all my ancestors on the bruce side have lived in the caithness/sutherland and ross and cromarty area till about 1920 when they moed to central scotland for work

Posted: 11 Feb 2008 7:03PM GMT
I doubt that my George Bruce had a family at the time of his capture. He was about 16 or 17 years old. Unless it was common to marry very young back then.

But re the DNA.....would you be interested in doing that to see if we are on the right track?

Contact me direct at tanelson1@juno.com
Janet

Posted: 12 Feb 2008 6:27AM GMT
yeah i guess he would be rather young for a family shame though out of most of the names on my tree the bruce seems more difficult to gather data on

what would this dna test involve? and whats the basics of it, granted i know some bits about it but nothing too indepth would this dna test be practical for other names on my tree or just purley for the bruce side ?

Posted: 12 Feb 2008 2:21PM GMT
Well, not much to doing the test. They send you a couple of swabs in holders for each. You swab the inside of your cheeks two different times as per instructions they send. Then mail them back and they do the rest.

But...first. I assumed you are a male with the surname Bruce. If that is correct, no problem. Otherwise, the test does not work for Bruce. It tests for the Y-chromosone that is passed down from each father to son and which does not change over the generations except for a minor mutation now and then. They know which markers tend to mutate and make allowances for that. So what is your Surname?
Janet

Posted: 12 Feb 2008 2:30PM GMT
my surname name is Chisholm

bruce is my grandmothers maiden name on my mothers side her father is the one who moved from the northen scotland to the central part which i currently live at sadly my great grandfather only had 5 girls 4 of which surivived and only 2 of them had kids

Posted: 12 Feb 2008 9:48PM GMT
Well, too bad. In your genealogy have you run across any related distant cousins with the surname Bruce? With your grandma only having sisters, it would be necessary to go back one more generation and find out if your great grandfather Bruce had any brothers or uncles, who in turn had sons now living.

I have been amazed to find that my great grandfather had 11 siblings. When I started out all I knew was that he had to have had a brother, as my great aunt married a first cousin and so kept the name of Bruce. From there I have expanded to over 3000 Bruce descendants in the tree. But like pulling teeth, as the Bruces just are not much good at leaving a paper trail anywhere, on any of the branches.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.