Search for content in message boards

Proctor from Pennsylvania to Kent, Ontario, Canada

Proctor from Pennsylvania to Kent, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 2 Oct 2009 3:45PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: PROCTOR, PRISBY, PATTERSON, HANDSOR
I’m seeking information about the PROCTOR AND PRISBY families – lastly of KENT, ONTARIO, CANADA but originally from PENNSYLVANIA (probably Washington County) in the early 1800’s.

ELIZABETH PROCTOR (b. 1833 in Washington Co., PA) married PETER PRISBY (b. 1831 Washington Co., PA) about 1845. By 1861 they lived in Gore, Kent Co., Ontario, Canada. Peter and Elizabeth’s children include William T., Rosanna, Margaret, Matthew T., Alexander, David, Sarah Ann, Edward and my grandmother Rachel who married William Handsor. I have much information about Canada but information about Pennsylvania is very sketchy.

In 1861, 1871 and 1881 Canadian census Peter and Elizabeth Prisby are listed on same census page as WILLIAM PROCTOR (b. 1831 in PA) and his wife, ELIZABETH ANN (ANN) PROCTOR nee. TAYLOR (b. 1841). William’s parents are listed as ELISHA PROCTOR (b. 1804) and WESTY PATTERSON (b. 1810). Because of the closeness in age between Elisha Proctor and Elizabeth Proctor Prisby and the proximity of their homes for many years I believe William Proctor and Elizabeth Proctor Prisby may be brother and sister BUT I can’t find confirmation of that. I have a picture of two women taken 1900-1910 and it says one is a Patterson and the other a Proctor (daughter of “Uncle Tom Proctor”). I believe the picture belonged to my grandmother, Rachel Prisby Handsor. Information about the Prisby family prior to Peter seems non-existent.

I’ve hit a brick wall trying to connect the Prisby’s and Proctor’s. The House of Proctor Genealogy page lists Westy Patterson as the wife of Elisha Proctor (he is her third husband) but it shows only one child (Johnston) born in 1830 - Elizabeth isn’t mentioned. Hope these names are familiar to someone. Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Proctor from Pennsylvania to Kent, Ontario, Canada

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 9:43PM GMT
Hello,
I am a descendant of Jacob Proctor (born ca 1774) in Charles County, Maryland. He relocated to Washington Co., PA in about 1810. The Prisby's are mentioned in my family tree also but I have little info about them.
It seems parts of the family left for Canada as laws re: return of fugitive slaves made it very dangerous for African Americans in the border counties. Many stayed and were soldiers in the USCT (United States Colored Troops) during the Civil War. The family had been free for several generations (for the most part)and were generally classified as mulattos. In appearance they were often enough confused for White. Yet, we had experienced the hate and discrimination for ANY/ALL with known one drop of African blood.
I wrote a paper on the family which I delivered in Colombia, South America for a confernce on my Proctor-Fullum-Kelly-Patterson ancestors. Let me hear more from/about you. I enjoy collaborating and sharing in a way that enlarges both family trees. Please respond.
Sincerely,
Dr. Bonita Berryman-Gilliam
aka CyberCousin Bonnie

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 9:55PM GMT
Surnames: Proctor
I'm curious whether this branch of the Proctor family is related to the Alexander Proctor talked about by Diana Muir on her Proctor page at www.motherhubbardscupboard.net? "In 1814, a free man of color, Alexander Proctor was born. From Alexander descended the Proctors of color, a well educated and highly respected family who moved to Haiti to avoid the prejudice of the American Civil War and then later returned to the States."

Sincerely,
Rob Corell
(my mother was a Proctor)

Posted: 16 Nov 2009 10:25PM GMT
Hello,
Possibly. However, my Proctor family line pre dates the Alexander Proctor you mentioned. Do you know where he was born? The Proctors were quite prolific in Maryland and Pennsylvania and I suspect they were prolific where ever they located. bbg

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 2:31AM GMT
Surnames: Proctor, Prisby
Hello,

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you. I’ve been reading your posts on Afrigeneas with great interest and hope you are still receiving posts.

I’m a direct descendent of Peter and Elizabeth Proctor Prisby. Their daughter, Rachel Prisby, married William Handsor whose daughter, Sarah Handsor is my mom’s mother. From what I’ve gleaned from census sources, it appears that my Proctor’s and Prisby’s arrived in Ontario, Canada from Pennsylvania sometime between 1850 and 1861 (first time they appear in Canadian census). Information about Peter’s death lists his birthplace as Pennsylvania and a search of the 1850 census returns for Hanover in Washington County, PA show several Proctor’s, Prisby’s and Patterson’s, including a Peter and Elizabeth Prisby. This connection is what I’m trying to confirm. A marriage record for Peter and Elizabeth with their parent’s names would be great. I haven’t been able to get any further back than this.

Do you know what part of your Proctor family left for Canada or where they went in Canada? I have a family tree for a Philip and Frances (Nee Parker) Patterson who were members of Union Baptist Church in Dresden, Ontario, Canada in the late 1800’s. It’s not clear how they relate to my Proctor’s but if it’s of interest to you I’d be happy to send it along. There are some pictures of unknown (to me) Prisby’s and/or Proctor’s and/or Patterson’s on my Ancestry.com tree if you’re interested.

The genealogy most familiar to me is my Handsor and Boswell families. The Handsor family is from Kent and Sussex counties in Delaware and arrived in Ontario about the same time as the Prisby’s and Proctors and like the Proctors their lineage is mixed (African American, White and Native American). Many mixed families migrated from Delaware to and around Chatham, Ontario, Canada in the mid to late 1800’s.

Much of my family is still in Canada but I grew up in Illinois and now live in Maryland – I rather feel as though I’ve come back to where it started. I’ve recently given thought to using DNA to help further my research; Elizabeth Proctor is becoming a real focus because I’d be testing mtDNA and she is literally the end of my line – still thinking about this, though.

Hope you are still out there and respond. I would love to correspond.

Sincerely,
Catherine Blount

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 7:29PM GMT
Greetings Catherine,
Lovely to read your interesting research efforts. Currently most of my energy is going into work with the US Colored Troops(USCT) from the Washington Cty., PA area. I plan to develop a data base on them and their families. Of course, this will include much info on Proctor, Patterson, Fullum and Brown lines of the family.
Ms. Marlene Garrett Bransom (Washington PA area) did a booklet of family research for my cousin. The title was, The Grinage family of Canada and their Southwestern Pa Connection. The Grinages married into the lines mentioned above and seem to have been in Maryland in the 1700's. Ms. Bransom thanks the North Buxton, Ontario and Chatham Canada library staff for assistance with her work. This would seem to be the area the family is connected to in Canada.
As to my family, numerous rumors of Canada were circulated. One yellowed 2-page statement indicated ALL the children of Elias 1839-1894) and Eliza Jane(1842-1933)Proctor were BORN in Canada. Yet, the family appears in a succession of Census records for Wash., Co. I did note that on the 1870 Census one child Harriett is listed as born in Canada.
I appreciate the effort to send info on Phillip and Frances but I would not know where to place them. Maybe in the future I can ask about them.
Coincidentially,
I grew up in West Virginia near the family area (20 miles across the state line) of PA. I now live in Carol Stream, IL.
I have so much curiosity about our ancestor Elizabeth Proctor. Have you heard the rumor that the African American father to her children was a son(Johb Butler) of Irish Nell and Negro Charles. Irish Nell Butler and her family were owned by the father (William Boreman,Sr., Boreman Manor, Bryantown Hundred, Charles County, MD)of the man to whom Elizabeth Proctor was indentured. So I guess the possibility is there. Please keep me updated on any findings related to Elizabeth Proctor. Please answer sooner rather than later :)
Be Blessed,
Bonnie

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 1:23AM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2012 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: Proctor, Adams
In my Adams line of PA,I have a Sam Adams married to Ann an Indian.When her husband is killed by an Indian 1761-1774? Ann marries Isacc Proctor.They have several children.If interested I will get in to my paper folders.By 1819 a grown son is now running the barges to Pittsburg from Johnstown PA.This is before the PA canal.Elaine Adams

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 1:42AM GMT
Thank-you. I do not have an Issac Proctor on my tree as yet. But he could be a relative we are unaware of for the present. The tree is full of Proctor's and we will probably never gather them all. Bonnie

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 3:24AM GMT
Edited: 14 Nov 2012 12:50PM GMT
Surnames: Proctor, Adams, Roberts
Hi, the Indian Ann Adams m.Isaac Jesse proctor.Their Son Isaac m.Elizabeth Proctor d/o John Proctor a colonel in the War of 1812.They have William,Lucinda & Anna.Anna d.1810,Lucinda m.Evan Roberts d. in Flood of 1889.No mention of Wm.? Elaine

Posted: 14 Mar 2010 3:28AM GMT
Thank-you, again. Do you have towns or cities where the folks mentioned lived?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.