Search for content in message boards

GUYER/GEYER/GUIER of Union & Berks co, PA 1800s

GUYER/GEYER/GUIER of Union & Berks co, PA 1800s

Posted: 16 Aug 2002 3:17PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: GUYER, GEYER, GUIER, GEIGER, NEES, GEHRET, YODER, KLING
I am compiling the lineages of the GEYER, GUYER, GUIER, even GEIGER, families of Union co, PA of the 1800s using census and court records. Berks co, PA was an earlier origin.
I am also interested in the related spouse surnames of GEHRET, NEES, YODER, KLING.

My line:
I. Peter GEYER 1759-1843 m Anna Maria GEHRET
II. Michael GUYER c1802-1842 m Susanna NEES
III. Henry GUYER c 1828-1891 m Hannah YODER
Please contact me if we can help each other or if you are interested in these lines of Union co, PA.
Estella KLING JOHNSON

Re: GUYER/GEYER/GUIER of Union & Berks co, PA 1800s

Posted: 16 Aug 2002 4:25PM GMT
Surnames: Geyer, Gehret, Geiger, Geier
Estella-

I believe I know who the parents are for your Peter Geyer.

The Peter Geyer/Geiger I am referring to is named in the administration papers of his father on 12 March 1783 in Berks County, PA, as being the "oldest son" of Adam Geyer/Geiger/Geier, a master carpenter (and wife Elisabeth Catharina). I haven't found any baptismal record for Peter.

The following are the known children of John Adam and Elisabeth Catharina Geyer/Geiger:

1) Jürg David Geyer/Geiger (twin) was baptized on 2 March 1755 and was "one week old" at the time. The baptismal record is from Trinity Lutheran Church, Reading, PA.

2) Elizabetha Cath Geyer (twin), baptized 2 March 1755 -- died 8 May 1755.

2) Johann Adam Geyer was born 24 May 1760.

Both Jürg David and Johann Adam are presumed to have been deceased at the time of their father's death in 1778 as neither is named in the administration papers.

3) Peter Geyer -- birthdate not known--but prior to 1762 (since he is listed as the oldest son in the administration papers of 1783).

4) Christoph Geyer was born 11 September 1762. Christoph married Catharina Harff/Hurff on 19 April 1789. Christoph was a shoemaker and died 3 December 1833.

5) Maria Catharina Geier born 22 March 1766 -- died 3 September 1768.

6) Elizabeth Geiger/Geyer birthdate unk. Elizabeth Geiger married Henry Gerret/Gehret.

7) Johannes Geyer/Geiger -- married Christina Miller on 4 July 1790.

I would be interested in anything you may have on Anna Maria Gehret--I had not known that Peter married a Gehret--who in all probability is connected to Henry Gehret who married his sister Elizabeth.

Joan

Posted: 17 Aug 2002 12:55AM GMT
Surnames: GEYER, GEHRET, GEIGER, GUYER
Joan, thanks so much for responding so promptly. Here is information confirming the Gehret surname for Anna Maria. I will also contact you directly. Assorted court records for family members use varied spellings, rarely Geiger.

Peter Geyer has a military marker in the St Peter’s Ref cem, Kelly twp, Union co, PA
Peter Geiger
1 Regt Berks co Militia
Revolutionary War
Nov 2, 1759 -- Sep 2, 1843
This is at the foot of a worn yet legible stone that adds: 83 years & 10 months

Nearby is a stone in German, just about legible:
Anna Maria Greiger
eine geboren
Gehert
__feme von
Peter Greiger
etc [born 10 August 1769
died 3 Sept 1817]

Also nearby is a stone for son Adam Guyer whose dates match that of the physician,s return of death found in the Union co courthouse:

The death data in the Union Co courthouse for Adam Guyer reads:
Name-- Adam Guyer
Color--White
Sex--Male
Age--72 Years, 6 mos, 26 days
father--Peter Guyer
mother--Mary
Occupation--Farmer
Place of birth--Berks County Pa
wife--Susanna
issue living (blank)
birth & death--Born May 17, 1780. Died Dec 12, 1852
Cause--Old Age & apoplexy
place in which died--White Deer township
location burial ground--St Peters Church Burial Ground
person returning certificate--Israel Guyer
Residence such person--White Deer Township
Date of certificate--January 7th, 1853
Date of registration--Jan. 17th, 1853
Signature register--C Breyman Reg.

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 2:48AM GMT
Edited: 22 Oct 2002 3:18AM GMT
Are these Geyer/Guyers connected to the Lancaster County Geyers of the same era?

Posted: 22 Oct 2002 3:31AM GMT
Darlene-

Not to my knowledge but since we don't really know the origin of John Adam Geyer/Geiger it is impossible to say for sure. I THINK he may well be the John Adam Geiger/Geyer who arrived on the Phoenix in 1752.

In the estate papers a George Geier is named and I can't identify his relationship to this Geyer family though--so it is possible that there WERE other family members in the Berks County area--or possibly Lancaster but if so I don't know the relationship to those other families. There WERE George Geyers in other families in the area--so anything is possible.

Joan

lisa brunswick (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2002 5:22PM GMT
hello, i was wondering if your peter was in the revolutionary war? my line has stine,jeremiah,1835,peter 1791,john 1765,peter1735,johannes adam about 1703.

Estella (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2002 11:42PM GMT
Lisa, Peter GUYER/GEIGER was in the Rev War.
His tombstone is in St Peter's, Union co, PA as Peter GUYER.
At the base is a bronze plate:
PETER GEIGER
I REGT BERKS CO MILITIA
REVOLUTIONARY WAR
NOV 2 1759 SEP 2 1843
The Veterans Affairs office in Lewisburg has no records on this plaque or its placement and thought perhaps placed there by Patriotic Order Sons of America. I have so far been unable to find anything further on its placement..

Peter's Will in Lewisburg, Union Co CH, 1843-12W lists:
son Henry
grandau Elizabeth (dau of son John who is deceased)
grandson Peter
grandson John
son Adam
dau Christiana NOLL
heirs of dau Mary (SPOTTS deceased)
dau Elizabeth HEAT
son Michael

Peter's wife was Anna Maria GEHRET. Her stone is also in St Peters. Her dob/dod -- 10 Aug 1769, Berks co -- 3 Sept 1817.

I descend from son Michael and his wife Susannah NEES.
Estella

LISA BRUNSWICK (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2003 6:18PM GMT
HI ESTELL, I THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS INFORMATION, BUT I DONT THINK HE IS THE RIGHT PETER, MY PETER WAS BORN 1735,MARRIED 1763,I THINK. IN FRANKLIN COUNTY.HIS DEATH WAS 1820.BURIED IN LOWER PATH VALLEY. HE MARRIED MARY ALSO BORN IN 1735,SHE LIVED TO BE 103.PLACING HER DEATH 1838 YORK CO ,NEAR RED LION. I DO NOT KNOW HER MAIDEN NAME.

Posted: 12 Jan 2003 10:27PM GMT
Surnames: Geyer
Well, Lisa, at least we now have data on two named Peter Geyer. You said your Peter was b 1735, do you know where?i.e. which county?
Thanks,

lisa brunswick (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jan 2003 12:33AM GMT
my peter i beleive was born in sweden or germany. but lived in franklin county,pahis father is johann adam goyer,umong other spellings.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.