Search for content in message boards

Richard & Margaret DOZIER of Texas or Oklahoma

Richard & Margaret DOZIER of Texas or Oklahoma

Posted: 4 May 2008 5:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DOZIER
Looking for any info on Richard and Margaret DOZIER. Daughter Dora was my g-grandma. Dora supposedly born 1884 in Oklahoma, other sources say Tyler, TX. Dora's kids born in Calvin, OK, so I'm betting the former. :) Dates and locations especially needed, I'm drawing a blank on Census records. It's possible, minutely possible, they were Native American. Can anyone assist?
Thanks
Meg

Re: Richard & Margaret DOZIER of Texas or Oklahoma

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 8:08PM GMT
Hope I am not too late to answer this post. Just now found it. As for Dora, it appears that she is a sister of Eller Loueiner. Eller is my grand mother. One of Eller's sons, my Uncle Homer Welsey Caldwell was born at Calvin in 1910. We have been searching for years outside ancestry.com for the burial place of Eller's father whom we believe is Richard (Dick Richard) Dozier. Family history tells us he died as a result of an accident involving a horse. Nora Caldwell daughter of Eller was born at Gerty just south of Calvin and is the one who remembered Richard attending the funeral of one of the younger siblings. He supposedly was dressed in Indian attire. I can share information on descendants of Eller and Frank. My Ancestry user name is jfcaldwell83 or you have my permission to contact me direct at caldwellair@yahoo.com. I plan to obtain the death certificate of Eller 3 March 2014. It may provide information.

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 8:46PM GMT
I do see on the 1900 census for
Texas
Navarro
Justice Precinct 05
District 0105,
that Dora's older sister is listed as "Ella". That would make her my great-grand-aunt. So if you can verify it, that would make us second cousins, once removed! How neat! Any information or stories you can share would be awesome, I have so little info beyond census facts about Ella/Dora's and their parent's generation. Do you have any photos of Ella(er)? Unfortunately, I don't have any of Dora, but I have a couple of her daughter Nellie, my grandma.
Sincerely,
Meghan

Posted: 27 Feb 2014 10:25PM GMT
Seems you'll need to rethink Richard Dozier's wife? She was Margaret Bankston. In 1910 Oklahoma, your branch found Calvin War 5-District 102-Image 2. Ella's mom and siblings found Calvin Ward 4-District 102-Image 1. Margaret, the mom, had remarried to unknown Mulligan in 1909. At that point in time, only the four youngest children: Ella, Dora, William, and Cora were still living. Margaret wed John Mulligan 28 Sep 1909. Cora wed Roy McFarland, 2 Aug 1910 at a ceremony witnessed by her sister Dora Reynolds and brother-in-law: M. L. Reynolds. Family ties are "cemented".

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 1:08AM GMT
This is a pretty old search. I do have Margaret Bankston as his wife, the Bankstons are quite a long and distinguished line from Sweden. ML Reynolds is Marshall Louis Reynolds. Do you have a link to or can point me to the evidence for them witnessing the marriage? I'd love to have that media for my tree as well.
Peace,
Meg

Posted: 28 Feb 2014 5:12AM GMT
Tsk, tsk, tsk! You don't recognize people (me) who have helped you in the past? Review that five page conversation in Gregg County, TX. Too, my first response is aligned with your reply to member jfcaldwell. Since ancestry.com uses indentation to direct responses, my reply was also meant for him. He responded to that lengthy Gregg County thread with the possibility of Rebecca Viola Bankston as the wife of Richard Dozier. Find Cora Dozier's marriage info on https://familysearch.org/ Simply lookup marriage of Roy McFarland in Oklahoma.

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 2:10PM GMT
We have pretty well established that Richard P Dozier is my ggrandpa. All of the children were born in TX as near as we can tell. Ella or Eller as it appears in the Obituary and on her grave stone in Blanchard, OK cemetery married my grandpa Frank Caldwell at Coalgate OK December 29, 1902 . I have a researcher in Coalgate who is going to send me a copy of their marriage license. We so far have not found any link to confirm any details about Richard. I am going to OKC today to obtain a copy of Eller's death certificate. It is supposed to have some informaton on it about her father. From census records, we know he was born in Indian Territory Feb 1852. Beyond that we have nothing. My nephew and I will be going to Calvin, OK in the next few days and if necessary go all over Hughes and Coal counties since that is where they all seemed to be in 1910. I saw a census for 1910 that had Margaret Mulligan as head of Household. Her occupation was listed as "washwoman". Living in the house with here were her granddaughter Kate Chapman, probably Maggie's daughter. Others were Willie C Dozier, Cora Dozier, George Wood and Sandy Wood. The connection for the Wood brothers being there is that the were my grandpa Frank Caldwell's half brothers. If you are ever in Oklalhoma, would love to have you get with us. My sister Mary Elam has a lot of knowledge in her head, but we can't ever seem to get it on paper. You probably already hae it, but I was able to obtain a copy of dora's death certificate from the Texas Records. J F Caldwell

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 2:29PM GMT
It just occurred to me that Bill Dozier back in the 1960's 70's and early 80's came to the Caldwell family reunions. Not real sure about the 80's, but his daughter Betty Jones was there. I belive they settled in the Kansas City area. Been trying to find them with no success. J F

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 2:48PM GMT
Surnames: Dozier, Reynolds
LOL Can't say I get to Oklahoma, normally, but it would be cool to meet someday. Yes, I have Dora's vital records, but thank you. What I'm actually having difficulty locating is her grave. She's not buried in Rose Hill in Tyler, TX with her husband Marshall and son William, but her obituary indicated her body was transferred from where she died in Ft Worth back to Tyler for burial. (where my grandparents were living at the time; Dora was living with her youngest daughter) I even called all the cemeteries I could find numbers for in and around Tyler, they didn't have her on any lists. I'd dearly love to know where she is.

Another curiosity I have is that Dora and Marshall had another daughter, Annie. Somewhere between the 1920 census in Arkansas and their living in Tyler by 1925, Annie disappears. I don't know if she married, died, whatever. Grandma NEVER mentioned having an older sister to anyone we know of, so I'm curious about the story of that. Annie would have been mid to late teens, so old enough to run off with someone.

Just as an aside, William was apparently a common name in that family. Dora's brother, her only son (who died young), my uncle, and my cousin. I don't keep in touch, but I wouldn't be surprised if one of my cousins on that side named a kid Billy. Hey, if you want, email me at ravencomeslaughing at gmail dot com, and I'll send you a photo of grandma, Dora's daughter. :)

Meghan

Posted: 4 Mar 2014 2:49PM GMT
Wow, another William. Popular name for us, wasn't it?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.