Search for content in message boards

Looking for photos of Isom & John Caudill & John A. Sturgill

Looking for photos of Isom & John Caudill & John A. Sturgill

Posted: 26 May 2007 9:27PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Caudill, Sturgill
I am trying to find any photos of Isom & John Caudill. Isom was the son of James Caudill Jr. and lived till 1892. John was Isom's son. I am also looking for a photo of John A. Sturgill, he lived from 1835 to 1918 and was a member of the 13th Ky. Calvary CSA. John Caudill's daughter Rachel was my father's grandmother, while John A. Sturgill's son David was my father's grandfather. David passed away before Rachel gave birth to my grandmother Nannie Mae. My father knew nothing of the Sturgill's and little of the Caudill's. I would love to surprise him for Fathers Day with a photo or two. Any help is appreciated.

Re: Looking for photos of Isom & John Caudill & John A. Sturgill

Posted: 28 May 2007 5:54PM GMT
This is what I found;

David A. Sturgill, b. ca Aug 1879 Letcher Co, KY, the son of John Anderson Sturgill and Margaret Jane Cox, is found in his parents home in 1880 and again in 1900 Letcher co. He married about 1904 to Armilda 'Millie' Hampton (her maiden name is determined from the KY Birth Index). He is found with Millie through 1920.

because of the fact that he is 13 yrs younger than Rachel Caudill, and the fact that he is married to Millie for at least 20 yrs after Rachel's husband has died, I think you should reconsider.

Rachel Caudilll, b. ca Nov 1866 Letcher Co, dau of John Caudill and Nancy Sturgill, md c 1885 to James Daniel (called Daniel) Sturgill, b. ca 1858 KY, son of Elijah Sturgill and Emaline/Evaline Creech (I have further on all three lines if you are interested).

James "Daniel" Sturgill apparently died about 1895. He and Rachel had three children identified in the 1900 census as step-children of Henry Halcomb; namely; Sarah b. Aug 1886, Ida Bell b. Oct 1891 and Nancy M. b. Mar 1895. Rachel is in her 2nd marriage and apparently md Henry about 1896 as they have 2 ch together, namely; Alice 1897 and Gasie? 1900.

I hope this helps some. I would like to share

Gloria Kay Vandiver Inman "Kay"

Posted: 28 May 2007 6:24PM GMT
Incidentally, I do have a very old, yellowed group picture that contains, and identifies the following Baptist Ministers:

1. Henry Caudill (1785-1856) husb of Phoebe Strailer (this is my direct ancestor)

2. Jno Combs
3. Hiram? Fields
4. James Caudill (I believe this is James b. ca 1790, son of Benjamin Caudill and Sarah (Humphrey?)and husband (and cousin) of Sarah Elizabeth Caudill, dau of James Caudill and Mary Adams)

5. Charles Blair (I believe this is Charles Blair b. ca 1807, husband of Esther Robertson

6. Sam Caudill (I believe this is Sampson Caudill b. ca 1784, son of Henry #1 above)

7. James McKnight (I beliee this is James McKnight b. ca 1784, husb of Mary 'Polly' Neal)

8. David M. Maggard (I think this is David M. Maggard b. ca 1849, son of James Maggard and Abigail Boggs, and husb of Sarah Mullins)

9. James Dixon (this might be James Dixon b. ca 1824, husband of Susanna Caudill, dau of William Caudill and Nancy Craft)

10. Jonnie (sic) Sturgill (I believe this is John Sturgill b. ca 1799 VA, husband of Mary 'Polly' Boggs, and the father of Elijah Sturgill and grandfather of James Daniel Sturgill)

11. Henry Day (this might be Henry Day, b. c 1829, son of John N. Day and Letitia Blair, and husband of Mary Maggard)

12. W. R. Boggs, (I have three possibilities for this individual, but am not sure about any of them.)

13. Elijah Creech (this could be one of three individuals, but again, I am not sure of any of them)
14. John Creech
15. John H. Boggs

I have been fairly successful at cropping each individual for separate photos. If you are interest, email me at bokay1@cox.net
thanks,
Kay

Posted: 28 May 2007 7:28PM GMT
First, I want to thank Carol Thompson, recognized as a Floyd-Roberts researcher, for sending me this photograph in 2005.

then, I need to make two corrections; When I zoomed in on the photographs of the individuals I found that

#2 is actually IRA Combs (not Jno)

# 15 is actually John H. RIGGS (not Boggs)
If you want copies, please specify the individual by name, as I have not numbered the extracted photographs.
Thanks
Kay

Posted: 28 May 2007 11:03PM GMT
Surnames: Caudill, Sturgill
Kay,
I actually made a mistake in my original listing. I meant that Rachel married John A.'s older son James D. I got my info through an annotated 1880 Letcher County census.
Where was Elijah and his family in 1880, I can't find them in Harlan or Letcher. I generally accepted John's son James as correct as they lived very close to Rachel and her family. They married June 22, 1882 in Letcher County per Marriage Book #6 Page 85.

Posted: 29 May 2007 1:34PM GMT
Elijah Sturgill's family is found in 1860 and 1870 in Harlan Co, KY. I am not sure why, but Elijah (Eli) Sturgill moved his family to Wise Co, VA sometime before the 1880 census where he died in 1895. His son, James Daniel (called Daniel in this census)and his wife, Rachel, are living in Eli's home in 1880. I'm not sure if James Daniel died in Wise Co, VA or Letcher Co, KY, but Rachel is back in Letcher Co and remarried to Henry Halcomb in 1900.

I was unaware that James Sturgill, John Anderson Sturgill's older son, was a James D., but since Rachel appears with James Daniel in the hh of Eli and Evaline (Creech) Sturgill, I feel fairly confident that I do have the correct husband for her.
Does this help any?
Kay

Posted: 29 May 2007 1:39PM GMT
I should say that while I feel fairly confident that I have this correct, I can sometimes be convinced to change my conclusions when presented with a strong argument. I have not seen the annotated census, and while it would be compelling, it doesn't necessarily mean it is rock solid either.
Let me know if you come up with anything more, please?
Kay

Posted: 29 May 2007 1:42PM GMT
Does the marriage book give the names of the parents? That would be conclusive evidence.
Kay

Posted: 30 May 2007 4:22AM GMT
Surnames: Caudill Sturgill
Kay,
Rachel and James did not marry until 1882, after the 1880 census. Rachel is listed with her parents John & Nancy in the 1880 Letcher census, so she should not have been in Eli's home as a daughter in law as they were not married yet. Also Eli's sons wifes name in the 1880 Wise County census was listed as Elizabeth, not Rachel. Family tradition says that James D. died in Missouri, not Kentucky or Virginia. In the 1900 census of Letcher County, Ida is listed with Rachel & Henry and shows her birth place as Missouri giving creedance to this. The family went West to seek treatment for James's TB. The marriage bond in Letcher County dated in 1882 does not list parents name, but inserted in the book was a permission slip from Rachel's father John giving her permission to marry James D. Sturgill as she was only 15 when they married. Also a Fitzpatrick signed the surety along with James. Hope this helps clear things up a bit.

Posted: 30 May 2007 12:32PM GMT
OK, I AM convinced ... and I did make a mistake. The name of James Daniel Sturgill's wife in the 1880 census IS Elizabeth, not Rachel. Boy, do I have egg on my face. So sorry. I will correct this in my files right now.
Thank you for setting me straight.
Kay
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.