Search for content in message boards

Joseph Clark of Northampton

Joseph Clark of Northampton

Posted: 14 Nov 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 29 Jul 2001 3:44PM GMT
Surnames: Clark, Thompson, Branch
Looking for information regarding Deacon Joseph Clark(e)and his wife Sarah who moved to Northampton, Hampshire County, from Peru in 1802. They were members of the Congregational Church in Peru. Joseph was in the Revolutionary War from Peru (Partridgefield). Sarah (surname unknown) died in Northampton in 1816. Joseph and Sarah's daughter, Sarah Clark(e), married Lieut. Amherst Thompson of Brimfield. They lived in Peru.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Joseph Clark of Northampton

Posted: 31 Jul 2003 6:16AM GMT
You no doubt will be familiar with Rev. Leander Thompson's Memorial to James1 Thompson of Brimfield. I am a direct lineal descendant of that first James1 Thompson.

I would be interested in linking up with you as it appears that you are connected to the Thompsons of Brimfield. I am a direct lineal descendant of that James Thompson of Brimfield.

If you are able, I would like to expand upon what you have for Amherst7 Thompson, Col. Joseph6 Thompson's son.

The following, found on pages 41 and 42 of the Rev's work is as follows:

"[99.] Col. Joseph5 Thompson [James4, Jonathan3, Jonathan2, James1] was b. in Brimfield, March 25, 1733; m. Abigail Sherman, Feb. 19, 1754, and resided for a number of years in his native town. His wife is supposed to have belonged to the celebrated Watertown family, from which have descended many distinguished men in the ministerial, legal, military, and other professions. Just on the eve of the Revolutionary war, Joseph5 Thompson, who had already been an officer in the French and Indian war, was directed by vote of the town of Brimfield to raise a minute company for expected and immediate service in a war of far greater magnitude and consequence. He entered upon his work with enthusiasm, and was for some time a captain in the regiment commanded by Col. Danielson but subsequently rose to the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel. His son Joseph6, Jr., was with him in the army, and is said to have been the last soldier killed in the war. His son Amherst6 was also in the army.
After the close of the war, Col. Thompson left his native town, and with his family resided for some time in Berkshire County, in a town then known as Partridgefield, but subsequently, and still known as, at least in part, Peru and Hinsdale. Here, in Peru, he seems to have kept a public house on the old stage-coach road …

Page 42…

…from Albany to Boston. Later in life he removed to Ohio, where he had a large landed estate. He was a man of commanding aspect and of strong character and influence. He died in Marietta, Ohio."

"219. v. Amherst6, b. May 20, 1762; m. Sarah Clark, and d. 1857"

"[219.] Lieut. Amherst6 Thompson [Col. Joseph5, James4, Jonathan3, Jonathan2, James1] was b. in Brimfield, Mass., May 20, 1762. Like many others of the Brimfield Thompsons, he was highly patriotic, and, young as he was, he joined the army of the Revolution during the war. He was aid to his father, Col. Joseph5 Thompson, who for some time in the memorable conflict was stationed on the Hudson River. A writer in the recent history of Berkshire County has the following in regard to him; 'The writer remembers him as an old soldier, and he has heard him tell his trials, --- one of thirst, during a long march, when, following the horses through a muddy pool, he scooped up the water in his hat and strained it through his teeth, as they were hurried onward, thinking it at the time the best water he ever drank."
Amherst6 Thompson m. Sarah Clarke and settled in Peru, Berkshire Co., Mass., where he was highly esteemed as a man, a citizen, and a Christian. He was admitted a member of the Congregational Church in…

Page 75…

…that town in 1799, his wife uniting at the same time. He died in his mountain home at Peru, March 21, 1857, aged 95 years, and his wife, Jan. 15, 1852, aged 85 years.
They had ten children, as follows: ..."

I may be of further help if you would care to share... ;)

You will find my line at the following "jump off point" using Rev. Leander's numeration, #197:

At present, I am searching for any references to Solomon Thompson, married to Mary, or Polly, or Mary Polly Smith, all originally of Brimfield, Mass.. They would have had five children with them at the time. I can find no reference to either Solomon or Mary/Polly Smith in Brimfield. I have
contacted, and am in continuous contact with the librarian at the Brimfield Library. She has no hard copy data to assist. The does not appear to be any evidence for a Mary/Polly Smith especially, although some for Solomon in Rev. Leander Thompson's text: A Memorial to James
Thompson of Brimfield.

*197. vi. SOLOMON6, b. Nov. 3, 1761, Brimfield. Mass.; m., Mary (or Polly) Smith of Brimfield, Mass.; Solomon d. Hallowell (now Athol)Township, Ont., Aug. 3, 1825.

SEVENTH GENERATION: [Children of Solomon6 (197) and Mary or Polly(Smith) Thompson.]

197.1 i. JAMES7, b. July 24/26, 1786, in Brimfield, Mass.; d. Athol township, Ont., Nov. 21, 1860; m1 Rebecca Spafford, July 14, 1814 [Rev. ? McDowell] d. Athol township, Ont., 1826

197.2 ii. NATHANIEL7, b. Aug.. 1788, in Brimfield, Mass. Settled in Chautauqua county, New York state, and d. there.

197.3 iii. ARTEMUS7, b. Mar. 15, 1791, in Brimfield. Settled at the head of Lake Simcoe, Ont., d. there. [Later, discovered to possibly be Beaverton.]

197.4 iv. WILLIAM7, born May 5, 1794, Brimfield, Mass.; d. Chautauqua County, New York State.

197.5 v. LUCY7, born in Brimfield, Mass., 1796; m. John Waters; d. Athol Township

197.6 vi. CHARLES7, b. _____; New York state (en route to Canada), Feb. 22, 1798; d. Athol Township, Ont. [This is the present editor's line.]

They had six more children after reaching Athol Twnp, Ont., Canada.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance that you can render...Al Dempster

Re: Joseph Clark of Northampton

Posted: 31 Mar 2010 2:27AM GMT
Hi, do you have any info on Amherst Thompson or Joseph Thompson or their descendants (Amherst>George Washington>Charles Dell>Clara Dell..all Thompsons)that might not be in Leander Thompson's book? I am a descendant. Thanks! Linda
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.