Search for content in message boards

James Steel

James Steel

vince steele (View posts)
Posted: 24 Sep 2001 6:14PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Steel, Hayman
Looking for any information on William Steel b around 1857 Ireland. m 1883 Mary Ann Reid Troon Scotland.

Father James Steel (Farmer deceased by 1883)
Mother Janet Steel nee Hayman.

Any Information pre 1857 appreciated.

Thanks,
Vince.

Re: James Steel

Karen (View posts)
Posted: 9 Dec 2004 7:53PM GMT
Hello James
Mary Ann Reid and William Steel were my great great grandparents.
I would be happy to swap any info that I have.
Kind regards
Karen

Vince Steele (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2004 11:55AM GMT
Surnames: steel
Karen,

Thanks for your reply, It was so long ago, I forgot I had posted it. Would be happy to here from you and any information you may have.
Regards,

Vince.

karen (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 2004 6:08PM GMT
Hello Vince
I'm at a crossroads too as far as james Steel and Janet Hayman are concerned but the 'Janet' was carried down through Mary Ann Reid's daughter Janet through my gran 'Mary Ann' to her daughter (my mum) Janet.
I have quite a bit of info on the Reids and the later Steels and quite a few photos including Mary Ann Reid's parents - Robert and Margaret. Are you descended from Mary Ann Reid and William Steel???
I know the message was posted a long time ago but are you still researching your family tree??? Have you researched much on the Reid side - do you know anything of Alexander Reid (Sandy) Mary Ann's brother???
Look forward to hearing from you.
Regards
Karen

Vince Steele (View posts)
Posted: 12 Dec 2004 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: steel
Karen, Thanks for your response. I am still trying to do a bit of research, but don't find much time at present. Yes I am decended from Mary Ann Reid and William Steel . My Grandfather James, was Janet's brother , so I think that would make Janet my Great Aunt. I have a copy of the 1891 census which shows them living at 38 Templehill in Troon. At that time my grandfathers age is given as 6 years and Janet as 8 months. I think my Dad (also James ) may have called her 'Jenny' . The Census also states that Mary Ann was born in Neilston in renfrewshire . I have acopy of William and Mary's marriage certificate which shows her parents as Robert Reid, and Margaret Reid (Douglas) They lived in Govan, but that's as far back as I have got. Because I couldn't get further back on the Steel side I switched my attention to the Mathiesons ( my Grandmother ). You may have noticed that I spell Steel(e). I think this may have resulted from a mistake in the recoding of the name in a marriage cetificate or something, anyway it has stuck with us for the past two generations. Would love to hear about the other Steel's.

Best regards,

Vince.

karen (View posts)
Posted: 13 Dec 2004 6:56PM GMT
Hello Vince
My email address is karen@jeff9.freeserve.co.uk. If you email me on this with your email address it will be easier for us to swap info.
Did your grandfather have two sons? I am sure I have a photo of him with two boys sat on his knee that I can send you. Did he become a fireman and did he join the army? My Gran has told me that many stories about the Steeles that I may have got bits mixed up.
Do you still live in Troon?
Speak to you soon
Kind regards
Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.