Search for content in message boards

House at Hwy 83 and Nolan Store Rd.

House at Hwy 83 and Nolan Store Rd.

Posted: 18 Aug 2007 12:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Can anyone give me any information on the old Greek Revival Plantation house that sits at the corner of Hwy 83 and Nolan Store Rd between Bostock and Madison? Any information is greatly appreciated. I am looking for history and/or name of current owner. Thanks.

Re: House at Hwy 83 and Nolan Store Rd.

Posted: 19 Dec 2007 4:09PM GMT
Surnames: Nolan

Posted: 20 Dec 2007 4:42AM GMT
Thank you so much. That is very interesting and some information that I didn't know. The only think I think may be incorrect is that it is stated the house has not been lived in for 30 years. I first saw the house with my husband about 20 years ago and I am fairly certain that it was lived in at the time, it certainly appeared to be. But thanks again for the information. :)

Posted: 21 Dec 2007 1:39AM GMT
Maybe this article will be helpful in your search for this information:

http://www.morgancountycitizen.com/?q=node/4437

Some information about this intersection is towards the bottom of the article.

The Nolan family is of a Thomas Nolan born 1805 in Newberry/Union Co., SC married to Martha BrowderThrasher. Their son, Thomas L. Nolan married Matilda J. Bostwick. The elder Thomas was the son of George Noland and Rebecca Gordon. George was the son of Awbrey Noland of Newberry Co., SC and Rebecca was the daughter of Govin Gordon of Union Co., SC. George and Rebecca moved to Morgan Co., GA about 1812. George died there in 1815, leaving orphans Thomas, Rebecca, Awbrey and Polly, as well as two other daughters, Elizabeth and Sarah (who was my ggg grandmother). Three of the daughters married and eventually moved away from Morgan Co. Awbrey (sometimes called Avery), the orphan, died a few years after his father. Polly I have never been able to trace. Thomas Nolan remained in Morgan Co. where he died in 1859, seemingly quite a wealthy man according to his will.

I would be interested in any information you find about this area or family.

Lynda Harris SoRelle

Posted: 22 Dec 2007 4:10PM GMT
I've done a lot of genealogical research in Morgan County. My grt grt grandfather Jacob C. Butts lived in what was in the 19th century called Mallory Community, halfway between Madison and Bostwick off what is now Hwy 83 and Prospect Road near the Mallory Chapel cemetery. I was told that some of the property he owned was later owned the Nolan family in the 20th century. So I was curious when I saw Nolans Crossroad was several miles from where he lived, nearly in Bostwick.

I've seen this house many times and peered in the windows and taken photos, knowing that this intersection also once had a general store. I thought perhaps it was a 19th century house, but the Morgan Co. archivist, Marshall Williams, told me the following in Feb. 2006:

"This house was built in 1906 by the Nolan family, but the present owner, who lives in Dacula, GA. (Atlanta suburb), cares nothing about it, and apparently is going to let it fall in. He has had many opportunities to sell it."

Thanks for the explanation about why it appears to have had some restoration work. That would make sense about filming something on the property.

Too bad. This is not a large house and is a bit close to the highway but a very nice looking representation of the county's past. It would make a good bed and breakfast. I find it hard to believe the owner would not sell it, given the extreme property values in Morgan County before the recent housing market slump.

Leonard

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 3:28AM GMT
Well that is very interesting. I'm from Dacula, I would love to know who the owner is. Maybe it's even someone I know. It is a shame that this old house if being allowed to fall in. I may have to do some research and find out who the owner is.

Thanks for the information. :)

Posted: 28 Dec 2007 3:29AM GMT
Well that is very interesting. I'm from Dacula, I would love to know who the owner is. Maybe it's even someone I know. It is a shame that this old house if being allowed to fall in. I may have to do some research and find out who the owner is.

Thanks for the information. :)

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 7:09PM GMT
Has anyone here located the owner as of yet since the last posting in 2007. I visit this house every year when I go to GA. and it's a shame that it deteriates more every year. Did anyone know that the original Nolan home sits across the street slightly and can be viewed through a gated fence amongst the pines?

Posted: 25 Apr 2009 8:41PM GMT
Former Morgan County archivist Marshall Williams told me when the first post appeared here in 2007 that the house is owned by a family member who lives in Dacula, Georgia, a suburb of Atlanta. Williams said this person has had several opportunities to sell the house over the years but "would rather see it fall down." The reason it looked as though it was being renovated around 2005-06 was because it was used for a few scenes in a film.

If you want to approach the owner, contact the Morgan County archivist. I don't know her name but she could put you in touch with Mr. Williams if she doesn't know the owner's name. A realtor in Morgan County could find out too. Or a clerk in the deeds and records office.

Posted: 6 Jul 2010 7:33PM GMT
Edited: 5 May 2011 7:11PM GMT
It's my family home place. Built in 1906 by my great grandfather James A. Nolan. I'm James A. Nolan IV. I still live just a few miles from the house.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.