Search for content in message boards

Fletts of Findochty

Fletts of Findochty

Posted: 25 Sep 2007 9:57AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Flett
I am the Granddaughter of Kate Chalmers Flett (born 23.9.1896), who was the daughter of John Flett and Helen Sutherland (Married 4/10/1872 in Findochty - sourced from their marriage certificate).

The marriage certificate also shows an Alexander Flett and Margaret Cowie as the parents of John Flett.

I am interested in finding the line previous to this 'Alexander' as there seems to be a couple to choose from.

Can anyone shed some light on Alexander's origins.

Re: Fletts of Findochty

Posted: 1 Oct 2007 12:18AM GMT
Hi,
My great grandfather, John Flett, was Kate Chalmers Flett's brother. I have a bit on this line including a photo of Alexander Flett.
The below links are to a portrait of Alexander and the other is Alexander on a fishing boat.
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1353/751541569_add21bfe81.jpg...
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1313/751541565_0a0ea59e1f.jpg...

I have Alexander as being the son of William Flett (b:21/03/1773) and Jean Mair (abt 1771).
William FLett - son of George Flett and Isobel McKenzie.

Let me know if you would like more information.
regards
Lisa Fox

Posted: 14 Oct 2007 11:18AM GMT
Hi Lisa,

Thank you so much for the photographs of Alexander Flett. I would love any information you have on the Flett or Sutherland side of the family.

I have attached a family photograph my mother kept of her family. You may be able to identify which one is your Great Grandfather and perhaps any of the other family members you know of.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Regards,
Michelle Lawrence
Attachments:

Posted: 14 Nov 2007 4:12PM GMT
Michelle

I am the great grandson of Mary Flett, daughter of Alexander Flett, Cornal, (son of William Flett and Jean Mair) and Margaret Cowie. She married Alexander Sutherland, son of Hector Sutherland and Margaret Reid, in Wick on 1 November 1855.

Mary's sister Jane Flett married George Sutherland in WicK
Are either of these families the Sutherlands you are interested in?

Regards
David Sutherland

Posted: 14 Nov 2007 4:13PM GMT
Michelle

I am the great grandson of Mary Flett, daughter of Alexander Flett, Cornal, (son of William Flett and Jean Mair) and Margaret Cowie. She married Alexander Sutherland, son of Hector Sutherland and Margaret Reid, in Wick on 1 November 1855.

Mary's sister Jane Flett married George Sutherland in WicK
Are either of these families the Sutherlands you are interested in?

Regards
David Sutherland

Posted: 16 Nov 2007 11:16PM GMT
Hi David,
Thank you for returning my post.

I actually didn't have a 'Mary' as a child of Alexander and Margaret. The children I have for Alexander and Margaret are:

William, Jane, Ann, Helen, John, Simon, Alexander, David, George and John (John married Helen Sutherland-my Grandmother's Mother in 1871).

I have very little information on Helen Sutherland, other than her parents are William Sutherland and Margaret Flett.

I would appreciate whatever information you can provide.
You are welcome to contact me at my email

michellelawrence4@bigpond.com

Cheers
Michelle Lawrence

Posted: 13 Apr 2008 12:25AM GMT
Surnames: Flett
Hi, I am trying to find any information I can on my grandfather and his parents. My grandfather's name is David Flett. He was born in Findochty, Scotland on 19th February 1918 and immigrated to NZ with his family as a young child. His parents were James Flett and Elizabeth Jane Flett. He has several brothers the youngest of whom is named Alexander. If you can provide any information to help me with my search I would be most grateful.

Posted: 16 Oct 2013 11:50PM GMT
I also have the same Fleet ancestor!
Alexander George (Cornal)
His son George was my GGG Grandfather he ended up in Victoria Australia! I am at present in beautiful Findochty trying to locate our Fleet's home place cottage can anyone help? here for a few more days.

Fran

Posted: 17 Oct 2013 12:02AM GMT
We seem to have a common link through
Alexander George (Cornal) I'm in Findochty now trying to dig up a few things! I would be interested in hearing from u ASAP as leaving in a few days for Australia! I have just spent day at Marine time museum
U have a Simon listed which I haven't but today found some info on his death.

Cheers

Fran
Sent from my iPhone

Posted: 19 Feb 2014 6:03AM GMT
Alexander George (Cornal) is my GGG Grandfather are we able to communicate, I'm not a member of Ancestry, so was unable to contact u directly hoping u read this message.
I really love those pics u posted.

Hope to hear from u soon.

Cheers,

Fran
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.