Search for content in message boards

Keeffe, O'Keeffe, Lysaght family from Fermoy

Keeffe, O'Keeffe, Lysaght family from Fermoy

Posted: 27 Jun 2013 12:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: O'Keeffe, Keeffe, Lysaght, Carroll
I am hoping someone out there can help unlock my next generation or more about the ones I know. My GGG grandparents were David (O)Keeffe and Mary(Maria) Lysaght. They married in Fermoy, Cork County 30 Aug 1831. They had 3 children: Ellen, Arthur, and William. I have baptism records for Ellen and Arthur, also in Fermoy. I have not yet found one for William.
Mary then appears in the 1850 census in Canandaigua, Ontario, New York, married to Mathew Carroll. They had 4 children, John, Jane, Joanna, and Charles. Her son Arthur Keeffe also appears in the census in the same house. William does not appear in this census. He shows up 5 years later with Mary and her 2nd family. Ellen appears in the neighboring town of Farmington, Ontario, New York.
While I have many questions, I would love to know what happened to David. I'm assuming that he died, but I don't know whether it was in Ireland, or in New York. In the same line, I don't know exactly when Mary married Mathew Carroll, however her son John Carroll was born in 1945.
I would also love any information on David Keeffe and Mary Lysaght's parents.
Any help would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.

Re: Keeffe, O'Keeffe, Lysaght family from Fermoy

Posted: 22 Jul 2013 1:53AM GMT
Classification: Query
Ireland's documents are few and far between, both parish and government.

earliest census substitute 1823-1837 :
www.genealogy.nationalarchives.ie
There are 178 Keeffe's in Cork

next census substitute 1851 Cork Griffith Valuation

Lysaght, 22 in Cork, 5 Fermoy Parish and 1 Fermoy Parish and Fermoy Townland only two first names Mary x 4 and John.
This could be 1 Mary or 4 or any combination

There are 1,057 Keefe's in the Griffith Valuation and also David was quite a rare name at the time there are 39 David Keefe's in Cork.

There are also 24 Arthur's but only 1 in the Parish of Fermoy, Townland and Town of Fermoy in Fermoy Poor Law Union

Carroll, no Michael but 4 Carroll's in Fermoy Parish, names are Richard and William (so perhaps William was named after
Michael Carroll's father) perhaps they hadn't married yet?

Only I wasn't able to get the details of the land for either as Keefe or O'Keefe on www.askaboutireland.ie ?? very strange as they are on my program of Griffith Valuation but not on www.failteromhat.com either, whereas
Lysaght seems to work fine on both resources.

There are baptisms on line for Fermoy RC 1827-1922 and marriages 1828-1922, Church of Ireland 1822-1903 for both
www.rootsireland.ie (pay not for profit Foundation)
I'm surprised as you have both first and last names of the parents you can't find William as a sibling?
also
www.irishgenealogy.ie (free) see church records, I believe this is only for the South West of Ireland but worth a look.

William, was he the youngest? maybe he was born on the voyage? and why there is no record in either Ireland or
New York.

There are few death records in parish's both RC and Cof I, although there are some. Too early for the civil registrations of 1864.

If Mary remarried, her husband should of course have died, but sometimes the Irish because of no divorce just left and remarried.

Some early gravestone records on www.from-ireland.net
might be worth a try, I tried O'Keefe - one so you can try Keefe.
Other records that might be useful for deaths are
www.ancestorsatrest.com + Ireland + Cork
www.interment.net + Ireland + Cork
www.igp-web.com + Cork had parish records and cemetary's haven't checked it lately.

Good luck on your journey.

Annette Code
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.