Search for content in message boards

Genealogy

Genealogy

Sue Ponds (View posts)
Posted: 1 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ponds
Researching William (Billy) Ponds born in NC 1822. He is listed in Pickens Co.,AL Vote records 1849. He is in 1850, 1860, and 1870 US census. Wife name Nancy Deborah and had nine children. I need to find who William's father was back in NC. Thanks for any information.

John Duncan

Louise Comfort DeWitt (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Duncan, Shippey, Lancaster, Cox, Christopher, Brandon, Ladd, Barnes, Rowland, Drake, Burgess, Holmes, Spruill, Halbert, Peterson, Nash
I am searching for the children of John Duncan and his wife
Judah Shippey.
John was born in Va abt 1781. Married in Spartanburg CO.SC
daughter of Samuel and Sarah___Shippey ,Judah Shippey born
June 30, 1782 died March 3, 1860 and is buried in Mineral
Springs Baptist Cemetery near McShan, in Pickins Co.
The 1840 census of Pickins Co. indicates 4 Males and 4 females other than John and Judah.
Two known children are daughter Mary Duncan living with her parents in 1850 age 33(assumed unmarried born in Spartanburg
SC.Who did she marry? possible a Moore, 1860 she is living with Wilson T. Moore age 25 born NC.John living with them and is age 82 born in SC?
Son Nathaniel J. Duncan, age 25 a school teacher born about 1824/25 in Spartanburg.
He married Mary Elizabeth Christopher born in 1837 in Pickins Co abt 1852/53, daughter of Lewis and Elizabeth Cox Christopher.Lewis born in Va 1795 and Elizabeth in Newberry Co SC.Theirs is the first marriage recorded in Pickins Co.
Nathaniel was a Lt. in the CW and when he became ill was sent home from the hospital to recover. He died Oct 16, 1863
at his home.
He and Mary E, had children Benjamin S. Duncan, Jane Elizabeth "Betty" Duncan, Frances Duncan and Wesly/Willie
Duncan.All of the children were deceased by 1900, with the exception of Benjamin S. Duncan,who moved to Carroll o. Ms
and married there in 1881 to Arizonia Beck.
After the death of Nathaniel, Mary E. married Larkin Simpson
Lancaster .Two of their children were born there. Larkin Jr and Ida Mary Lancaster.
In 1884 they moved to Carroll Co. Ms where the other children were born. Marcus Lancaster and Joeseph"Joe" Lancaster.
Could John have been a brother to Dabney Duncan?
Please help me sort out these Duncans families.
Louise Comfort DeWitt

Brandon and Shippey

Hayes Lowe (View posts)
Posted: 3 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT

Here's the Brandon's that I have in my data base:

BRANDON, John Rice 40th Ala. Inf., Co. B (Born 1/26/1829 in Union Co., S.C. Enlisted in Carrollton 7/9/1862. Captured & paroled at Vicksburg. "Discharged" in Raleigh community in Pickens Co. on 5/4/1864. Lived in the Raleigh after the war. Died 10/12/1903. Buried in Mt. Olivet Cemetery near Gordo.)

BRANDON, John A. 40th Ala. Inf., Co. G (Enlisted Pickens Co. Captured & paroled at Vicksburg.)

BRANDON, Richard Davis 40th Ala. Inf., Co. G (Born 12/1837 at Bethany. Enlisted at Bridgeville in Pickens Co. in March 1862. Captured & paroled at Vicksburg. Living in the Gordo area after the war. Buried at Salem Cemetery, near Gordo.)

BRANDON, James Washington 42nd Ala. Inf., Co. B (Born 3/12/1848 in Pickens Co. Enlisted in the 42nd in Feb., 1864. Wounded with shot to the arm at the Battle of Atlanta on 7/28/1864. Surrendered at Greensboro, N.C. Died 12/19/1935 in Clay Co., Miss. Buried in Palestine Cemetery in Clay Co.)

I only have one Shippey. I do have Ships, Shipps, Shiplets, and Shipplings. I don't know if they could have been misspellings of Shippey or not.

SHIPPEY, William W. 25th Ala. Inf., Co. E (no further information)

John Duncan

Louise Comfort DeWitt (View posts)
Surnames: Duncan, Brandon, Cox, Christopher, Shippey, Ladd, Holmes, Halbert, Walker, Loggins, Barnes, Robbins, Burgess, Butler
Thanks Hayes,I have all the Duncan's on group sheets and hopefully this will help sort them out.
Do you have any records on the Shippey and Brandon's of Pickens Co. You have sent me the one on Simpson Shelton Brandon ?

Louise Comfort Dewitt

Nat Duncan

Hayes Lowe (View posts)
Edited: 23 Jun 2001 3:32PM GMT

There were two other Duncans in the same company of the Confederate Army as Lt. Nat Duncan:

DUNCAN, Thomas P. (Private.)

DUNCAN, William (Private. Age 35 at enlistment.)

I have found that relatives usually enlisted together. These could be brothers or cousins of Nat.

John Duncan

Tracy Kelley (View posts)
Posted: 13 Mar 2000 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Duncan
I am looking for John Duncan born in VA and the father of John Melvin Duncan. My John married a Nancy Smith. They lived in Webster or Union or Henderson County Kentucky. Any information you may have would be helpful. This is my father's side of the family.
Thank you so much.

Larkin Simpson Lancaster

Posted: 5 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 15 Jan 2004 3:44PM GMT
Read with much interest your mention of Larkin Simpson Lancaster on the Pickens County, Alabama GenWeb. I realize you're searching for your Duncan relatives, but couldn't resist responding on Lancaster. Larkin was brother to my g-g grandfather, William Robert Lancaster. I lost track of Larkin in Alabama. Could you fill in what you know? Thank you for your consideration.

Re: Genealogy

Posted: 9 Jul 2002 6:29PM GMT
Surnames: Bridgers/Bridges, Going
I am searching for William F Bridgers in Pickens Co. Where did you find the Vote Records in 1849? I thought the County Court House burned in 1876 and destroyed all records. Any knowledge of Deed Records, Wills, Probate? Trail is cold prior to 1850 any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: John Duncan

Posted: 9 Feb 2003 4:23AM GMT
Surnames: McShan, Duncan
Louise -

Do you have John Francis Duncan (11-25-1841 to 12/1/1921) in your database? I have information on his descendants if you are interested:
Descendants of John Francis Duncan
1 John Francis Duncan b: November 25, 1841 in Union Co., South Carolina d: December 01, 1921 in Pickens Co., Alabama Burial: Antioch Cemetery, Pickens Co., Alabama
.. +Zilla Bird McShan b: July 10, 1866 in Pickens County, Alabama Married: November 25, 1889 in Pickens Co., Alabama d: November 23, 1942 in Pickens Co., Alabama Burial: Mineral Springs Cemetery, Pickens County, Alabama
......... 2 Lois M. Duncan b: August 01, 1891 in Alabama d: July 03, 1979 in Pickens Co., Alabama Burial: Mineral Springs Cem., Pickens Co., Alabama
......... 2 Shields D. Duncan b: December 1892 in Alabama
............. +Genie D. b: 1896 in Alabama Married: 1921
......... 2 John Howard Duncan b: October 1893 in Alabama d: June 13, 1967
............. +Hilda Hoots
......... 2 Frances M. Duncan b: June 27, 1896 in Alabama d: September 06, 1972 in Pickens Co., Alabama Burial: Mineral Springs Cemetery, Pickens County, Alabama
............. +Lucille Grace b: November 15, 1902 Married: 1923 d: December 19, 1999 in Alabama Burial: December 21, 1999 Mineral Springs Cemetery, Pickens County, Alabama
......... 2 Mary E. Duncan b: February 1898 in Alabama d: August 11, 1961
............. +Walter E. Albright b: 1898 in Alabama Married: 1923
......... 2 Jennie Lottie Duncan b: April 1903 in Alabama d: November 28, 1961
............. +Sam Henderson
Jane McAshan

Re: Genealogy

Sue Ponds (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jul 2003 1:33PM GMT
The information was in a book in the Birmingham, AL Library.
Pickens County AL 1841-1861 compiled by Marilyn Davis Batefield and Carr Byron Batefield.

In the book had a list of registered voters of Yorkville Precinct 1849 who voted in The Constitutional Amendments At A General Election, August 1849.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.