Search for content in message boards

Conley/Connolly from Clifden 1840s (Carr,Doyle,Gallagher,Conley,Obrien)

Conley/Connolly from Clifden 1840s (Carr,Doyle,Gallagher,Conley,Obrien)

Posted: 12 Sep 2004 7:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 30 May 2013 4:36PM GMT
Surnames: Gallagher,Conley
Looking for ancestors of my GGGrandfather Valentine J. Conley born in Clifden 1840. Came to Portland,Maine in 1864.
He married Mary Gallagher but that was after he was in Maine.
I dont know any more about this family so any info will be appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg Carr

Re: Conley/Connolly from Clifden 1840s

Posted: 18 Sep 2004 3:46PM GMT
Hello Greg,

The Mormon Church has microfilmed the Catholic Church registers of baptism and marriage for Clifden, County Galway, from the year 1838 to 1938. The microfilms can be ordered from your local Family History Center. If Valentine Conley was Catholic and born in the Clifden area, his baptism record should be in these church registers. His baptism record would also give you the names of his parents and where they were living at the time Valentine was born. The Conley family may not have necessarily lived in Clifden Town itself, but in a surrounding community.

Below is information and all the microfilms for Clifden. Some repeat the years of baptism and marriage:

Parochial registers of Clifden (Galway), 1838-1938
Authors Catholic Church. Parish of Clifden (Galway) (Main Author)

Notes Microfilm of original records at Tuam, Co. Galway. A portion of the
records were filmed in 1973 by the National Library of Ireland; the
remainder were filmed in 1984 by the Genealogical Society.

The Catholic parish of Clifden contains the civil parishes of Omey and
Ballindoon. The former name of the parish was Omey and Ballindoon.

Marriages, 1839-1848; baptisms, 1838-1855 FHL BRITISH Film
1279212 Item 20

Baptisms, 1856-1874; marriages, 1856-1871 FHL BRITISH Film
1279213 Item 1

Baptisms, 1864-1880; marriages, 1864-1878; deaths, 1869-1872 FHL BRITISH
Film
1279213 Item 2

Baptisms, 1874-1898 FHL BRITISH Film
1279213 Item 3

Marriages, 1876-1938 FHL BRITISH Film
1279213 Item 4

Baptisms, 1879-1924 FHL BRITISH Film
1279213 Item 5

Baptisms, 1881-1900 FHL BRITISH Film
1279213 Item 6

Baptisms, 1899-1905 FHL BRITISH Film
1279213 Item 7

Baptisms, 1838-1874; marriages, 1839-1874 FHL BRITISH Film
926231 Items 1 - 2
_______

The first and last films you see above would cover the year 1840, when Valentine was born. You'll also want to check the marriage records to see if there is a marriage for Valentine's parents. A search of the baptism records should also tell you if Valentine had any brothers or sisters.

I also found Valentine, his wife Mary, their children, and Mary's father Edward Gallagher, in the 1880 census for Portland, Maine, living in the same household.

That census is also on a Mormon Church microfilm, number 1254479. Please see the following:

Household:

Name, Relation, Marital Status, Gender, Race, Age, Birthplace, Occupation, Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace

Valentine J. CONLY Self M Male W 40 IRE Truckman IRE IRE
Mary CONLY Wife M Female W 46 IRE Housekeeper IRE IRE
Mary J. CONLY Dau S Female W 7 ME School IRE IRE
Joseph E. CONLY Son S Male W 3 ME IRE IRE
Edward GALLAGHER FatherL Male W 80 IRE Peddler IRE IRE

Source Information:
Census Place E. D. 57-59, Portland, Cumberland, Maine
Family History Library Film 1254479
NA Film Number T9-0479
Page Number 319B
________

Also Greg, do you have Valentine Conley's death certificate? It's possible his death certificate may tell you who his parents were. If you don't have his death certificate, or if you are not sure when he died, you can look for his record of death on a Mormon Church microfilm index of deaths for Portland that cover the years 1700-1910.

If you find him on the index you can then order another microfilm that covers Portland death records for the year he died.

The Mormon Church has also filmed the Portland death records as well. See below for the microfilm index and the microfilm of deaths:

Index to deaths, v. 1-3 1720-1910 FHL US/CAN Film

Records of deaths v. 4-5 1800-1866 FHL US/CAN Film

Records of deaths v. 6-7 1862-1885 FHL US/CAN Film

Records of deaths v. 8-10 1885-1910 FHL US/CAN Film
_________

Valentine's death record would most likely be on the second or third microfilm above. The index will tell you which year.

Concerning Irish records I found a listing for three Connollys living in Clifden, Galway, in an Irish land record called Griffiths Valuation. There are also several Carrs living in Clifden as noted in Griffiths Valuation. If your Carr ancestors are also from Clifden, the Griffiths Valuation may refer to them.

Below are index entries for the Connollys follwed by the Carrs found in Griffiths:

occupier lessor townland Parish county

JOHN CONNOLLY THOMAS EYRE CLIFDEN OMEY Galway
ANDREW CONNOLLY MICHAEL JOYCE (SHORT) CLIFDEN OMEY Galway
ANDREW CONNOLLY THOMAS EYRE CLIFDEN OMEY Galway
MICHAEL CONNOLLY THOMAS CARR CLIFDEN OMEY Galway

THOMAS CARR THOMAS EYRE CLIFDEN OMEY Galway
MARY CARR THOMAS EYRE CLIFDEN OMEY Galway
BARTHOLOMEW CARR MICHAEL LYDEN CLIFDEN OMEY Galway
MARY CARR BIDELIA BODKIN CLIFDEN OMEY Galway
________

Concerning the Connolly entries, an Andrew Connolly is listed twice. This is probably the same Andrew who leased two different parcels of property, one parcel from Thomas Eyre and another from Michael Joyce.

As you'll also see a Thomas Carr leased property to Michael Connolly.

Going to the Griffiths entries for the Carrs, you'll see several listings for Thomas. This Thomas Carr is most likely the same Thomas in all the Carr entries, and the same Thomas you see in the enumeration for the Connollys.

A note on Griffiths Valuation: This land survey was conducted throughout all 32 counties of Ireland between 1847 and 1864. In Galway the enuneration took place in 1855, which would have been before Valentine left for the states. It's possible that either John, Andrew, or Michael, was Valentine's father.

The baptism certificate for Valentine would tell you for sure who his father was, however.

Don't hesitate to write with any questions.

Best Wishes,

Dave Boylan

greg carr (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2004 5:40PM GMT
Hi Dave,
Thanks for all that info.
I have all the census stuff and the Griffiths stuff.All the online info.Is all the LDS info online?At the Ma. archives they have at least 20 big file cabinets that are Mormon Microfilm and are indexed by number.I wonder if they are the records I need?
I have done searches on the LDS site but havent come up with anything for the Conleys in Ireland.The Carrs were from Cork.I can get the marriage and death certs directly from Maine for $6 each but the birth and baptism records would be over there.
How do you order stuff from the Mormon Church?Do they do a search for you and send a copy from the microfilm?
Thanks,
Greg

RalphGibbons (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2004 5:52PM GMT
I am descended from a Connolly from Cliften who ended up in Montana. e-mail me at rmg1937@hotmail.com & I will forward your questions to 2 cousins who have been to Cliften.
Thanks,
Ralph

Dave Boylan (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2004 7:34PM GMT
Hi Greg,

I'm not sure if the Mass Archives is a repository for the Mormon Church, where you can order Mormon Church microfilms. You can phone and find out.

If Mormon Church films can't be ordered from the Mass Archives, you'll have to go to your nearest Family History Center and order the films. The FHC will then send away to Salt Lake City for the films. Each film cost $3.25-$3.50. You can keep the film for three weeks, but the microfilms cannot leave the Family History Center.

Staff at the center won't do research for you, unfortunately. You'll have to go to the center and load the microfilms into the readers and do the research, but staff membersill help you with the film and copying.

Concerning LDS records online, I didn't find a Valentine Conley in Clifden, born 1840, but did find a Valentine Connolly born in Clifden in 1866. He was the son of Festus Connolly and Catherine Walsh. This is a Civil Birth record rather than a baptism record.

If you don't have this record Greg, I can email it to you.

Also Greg, is it just a coincidence that the Carrs in Clifden lived close to the "Connollys," without there being a connection? If so, that is very ironic, as the Connollys had eventually married into the Carr family and vice-versa. Did the Cork Carrs actually come from Galway?

It wasn't uncommon for people from all over Ireland to travel to Queenstown (current day Cobh, Cork) to catch a ship to Liverpool and then to America, Canada or Australia. But, not all the pople who went to Cobh, left Ireland right away. Some, by design or circumstance, waited months and even years before embarking. Some never left at all.

Best of luck Greg. Write anytime.

Dave

Posted: 18 Sep 2004 8:12PM GMT
Hi again Dave,
My Carrs and Conleys dont meet for 4 generations.My maternal grandmother was a Conley.I dont know how long my Carr ancestors were in Cork for but it was at least a generation before leaving for the US.
I cant seem to get the FHC finder to work on the LDS site.It keeps telling me the spelling is wrong when I put in the area I live in. There are so many Mormon files at the Ma. archives though that I would be surprised if it wasnt the FHC.
Yes, Please send the Valentine Connolly you found. 1866 would be much to late to be my Valentine but since they named children after relatives he could be related.
My e-mail is
szepcarr@gis.net
Greg

Dave Boylan (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2004 1:26PM GMT
Hello Greg,

The Family History Library Catalog search is unforgiving if you have even
one letter out of place or one letter missing from the spelling. Let me know
what town, county, and state you're interested in, and I'll see
if I can access the microfilm numbers for that location at the Catalog.

Concerning the birth record of Valentine Connolly, the Mormon Church record
follows:

VALENTINE CONNOLLY
Male

Event(s):
Birth: 04 AUG 1866 0199, Clifden, Galway, Ireland

Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Parents:
Father: FESTUS CONNOLLY
Mother: CATHERINE WALSH

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the
record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth
or christening date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: C701295
Date: 1866
Film Number: 0101133 = Births v. 14; Quarterly returns of births in Ireland
________

The record above is a civil registration birth record rather than a church
baptism record, which can be found on microfilm number 0101133 that you can
order from the Family History Center.

In addition, further research at the Mormon Church site shows that a Festus
Conoley married a Bridget Mullins in Portland, Maine on 17 March 1857 (St.
Patrick's Day). That record and source information follows:

FESTUS CONOLEY
Male

Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

Marriages:
Spouse: BRIDGET MULLINS
Marriage: 17 MAR 1857 Portland, Cumberland, Maine

Extracted marriage record for locality listed in the record. The source
records are usually arranged chronologically by the marriage date.

Source Information:
Batch No.: M503787
Dates: 1828 - 1887
Microfilm Number: 0012026 IT 2-4

Records of marriages v. 5-6 1855-1891 Records of intentions and returns of
marriages v. 7 1891-1896 FHL US/CAN Film 12026 Items 2-4

I am assuming this Festus Conoley was related to the Valentine Conoley who
was born in 1840 and who also lived in Portland. This marriage record can be
found on microfilm number 12026 Items 2-4.

Don't hesitate to write if you have any more questions Greg.

Dave

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 3:03AM GMT
we could be related. My father patrick was born in Clifden 1927. His father peter paul was born in clifden around 1900. His mother maiden name was walsh He married Mary fitzpatrick.
Reported Connolly one of six original families of that area.
I have gone back a number of times to clifden have met cousins. I have been to the family farmland.

contact me if you are interested in earning more

Posted: 15 Jul 2012 3:10AM GMT
I am a connolly, My Dad was from clifden, he had two uncles that went to the west 1930's

pat Connolly

Posted: 28 May 2013 8:00PM GMT
Hi,

I grew up iin Portland Maine and have Connolly/conneely relatives in Clifden ballyconneely. I have visited and have soem information thatmay be useful
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.