Search for content in message boards

Mary & Margaret Shattuck Walls, Pike Co Ohio

Mary & Margaret Shattuck Walls, Pike Co Ohio

Sarah Wall (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2005 8:41PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Shattuck, Wall, Walls
Would like to hear from anyone who is a member of the families of Mary Shattuck Walls m to James Walls and Margaret Shattuck Walls her sister.

Re: Mary & Margaret Shattuck Walls, Pike Co Ohio

Posted: 29 Oct 2011 2:36AM GMT
Dear Sarah, I descend from Levi Walls in Pike Co., OH. His grandfather James was married to Mary Shattuck. I have just started research on the Shattuck connection to our Walls group. I am very interested in corresponding with you. I have seen entries from you on Mary Cottrell Walls. My mother refers to her as "Granny". Thank you, Ruth Bland Barch

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 5:25PM GMT
Surnames: Shattuck, Walls, Cottrell
Dear Ruth, I am happy to share with you what I know about the Shattuck line. Mary Shattuck Walls was my great-great grandmother. Mary Cottrell Walls was my great grandmother. Sarah Walls

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 5:53PM GMT
Mary Shattuck Walls was my ggggrandmother. We have a picture of Mary Cottrell(sp?) Walls when she was an old lady. She is on the porch at the home in Morgantown. My mother has some memories of her. My grandmother was Myrtle Marie Walls, daughter of Levi Leroy & Liddie May Walls. We also were told there was Native American passed to us because several of the family members have very black hair and olive complexions. I think it is interesting to find a possible Jewish connection. Do you know if DNA from our line has been done? We found a possible Jewish connection on my father's side with DNA. I have lived in Pike and Ross counties all of my life so know our locations for homesteads and cemeteries fairly well. Looking forward to "talking" to you. Thank you, Ruth

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 5:53PM GMT
Mary Shattuck Walls was my ggggrandmother. We have a picture of Mary Cottrell(sp?) Walls when she was an old lady. She is on the porch at the home in Morgantown. My mother has some memories of her. My grandmother was Myrtle Marie Walls, daughter of Levi Leroy & Liddie May Walls. We also were told there was Native American passed to us because several of the family members have very black hair and olive complexions. I think it is interesting to find a possible Jewish connection. Do you know if DNA from our line has been done? We found a possible Jewish connection on my father's side with DNA. I have lived in Pike and Ross counties all of my life so know our locations for homesteads and cemeteries fairly well. Looking forward to "talking" to you. Thank you, Ruth

Posted: 30 Oct 2011 6:55PM GMT
Surnames: Walls, Vales, Cottrell, Weil, DuVale
I had my mtDNA tested in 2006 and have both Ashkenazi and Sephardic Jewish matches. I very strongly believe we are Secret Jews descended from the Spanish Jews who fled Spain during the Spanish Inquisition. Of course, my mtDNA is from my Mom Lucille Wilburn Walls and her maternal line. But, and this is exciting, I have found my mtDNA matches in the Walls line. I'm sure that my Mom and Dad's lines intermarried and are actually originally from the Weil line of France and the DuVale, Valles, Valls, DaVale Jewish Spanish lines. I was also told that Great Grandma Mary Cottrell Walls was a full blooded Cherokee Indian. But I believe that is a "cover story" to hide our Jewish heritage. I would love to have a copy of your picture of Mary Cottrell Walls. Sarah

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 3:19AM GMT
Wow! You are a busy lady! I have been thinking about the mtDNA but don't know if it would be worth the investment as the descendency for my mother is fairly well-documented. Would this test show any maternal DNA surnames from my father's side? I will check on the picture. It seems like there was a grandson in the picture with Mary. I will check with my mother tomorrow. Do you have any history on our family? I am checking with the library on the "Walls Family of Delaware". Thank you, Ruth

Posted: 31 Oct 2011 9:15PM GMT
Surnames: Walls, Shattuck
History on our family: Where shall I start? Mary Cash Cottrell Walls was married to Lovalla "Valley" Walls son of James and Mary Shattuck Walls. They lived on Auerville Road, Benton Twp, Pike Co, Ohio. Lovalla died Jan 10 1923 and is buried in Bainbridge Cemetery, Paxton Twp, Ross Co Ohio, along with 4 of their children. I have not yet been able to find Mary's grave site, perhaps you know it. After Lovalla died Mary moved to Detroit, Michigan, and she and 3 of their children operated a boarding house there. The daughters (and their husbands) were Florence, Mel and Kate. Every winter Mary and her daughters went to Miami, Florida where they lived as "snow birds" and then returned to Michigan. I believe that Mary died in 1948 and was living in her home on Auerville Road, Benton Twp, Pike Co, Ohio at the time. However, her daughters Mel and Flo continued to live in Michigan with their husbands and children. Kate is buried with her father Lovalla.

Posted: 1 Nov 2011 1:07PM GMT
Could you tell me where "Cash" enters the family names? I think Mary C. was in Pike Co. when she died; I had thought she was also in the Bainbridge cemetery. My mother remembers her and she was born in 1935. We always went to the cemetery on Memorial Day as a little girl which was after Levi Leroy (Grandad) died; Liddie died in 1971. The really long-ago part of the Walls family is in an old church cemetery outside of Buchanan. I am working on pictures for you. My grandmother's sister, Aunt Kitty", lived in MI. Possibly because of this MI connection to family? She was a teacher.

Posted: 1 Nov 2011 4:25PM GMT
Another question: Does your mtDNA test show the Jewish ancestry family from the Walls side?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.