Search for content in message boards

Houk/Frew/Hazen /Barnhart/Fry/ Lawrence Co, PA

Houk/Frew/Hazen /Barnhart/Fry/ Lawrence Co, PA

Posted: 18 Apr 2001 10:59AM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2001 7:15PM GMT
Seeking info on Sarah Margaret Houk b. 1844 m. David Fry ca 1867. She was born of Benjamin Houk (1793-1877) and Nancy Hazen (1806-1893), Benjamin born of Philip Houk (1750-1832) and Mary Frew (1755-1823).

We believe Sarah may have had a child, Lucinda, out of wedlock prior to marrying David Fry. She is listed as Lucinda Barnhart, age 8, in the 1870 Lawrence County Census as living with Benjamin and Nancy. She is also mentioned in Benjamin's Will as the daughter of his daughter Sarah Margaret "who I have raised".

Any help appreciated. Will gladly share Houk data from Lawrence County.
Jim...

Houks

sue (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 2001 12:44PM GMT
I believe I'm another branch of the New Castle Houks...decended from John H. (born about 1830) and Margaret (Newton?), and his son Ross. I'm working on the next step back...John H--H for Hazen maybe? Can you help?
Posted: 27 Apr 2001 3:17PM GMT
Edited: 23 Aug 2001 7:15PM GMT
Sue,
I have John H. Houk m. Margaret with children Ross, John, Benjamin, Emanuel, Isaac, Mary E., William H., Elijah and Agnesa according to the 1870 Census of Newcastle. I show his father to be Benjamin (1793-1877), mother Nancy Hazen (1806-1893).

Have all his siblings and wives (14) if interested.
Jim

New Castle Houks

Posted: 1 May 2001 12:13PM GMT
Edited: 5 Sep 2002 5:34PM GMT
I suspected that this was the case. I have the names of Benjamins children (I found them in a book by Aaron Hazen at the N.Castle Pub Library. It was full of biographies of various Lawrence Co. notables from the 1800s) I do not, however, have their dates, or names and dates of spouses. Your help would be most welcome. You can send them to a friends e-mail, if its more convenient. georgleclerc@hotmail.com
Thanks!

Re: Houks

Posted: 3 Aug 2001 2:18AM GMT
Edited: 29 Nov 2003 3:29AM GMT
Maybe you are looking for John H. Houk, son of Benjamin Houk and Nancy Hazen. He was born in 1826 and married Elizabeth Newton.

sue (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2001 10:54AM GMT
Yes, it's the right family--how are you related? My line extends down from John H. through his son Ross.

Posted: 9 Aug 2001 1:06AM GMT
John C.Houk was my grandfather. He was a son of David Houk who was the son of Phillip Houk, jr. His father obviously was Phillip Houk, sr. I need information for Phillip Houk, sr.

sue (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2001 10:48AM GMT
According to postings at Genealogy.com, Phillip Sr came from Germany. There's debate that he was born in New Jersey. He was in New Jersey at one time, and is believed to have served in the militia for that state during the American Revolution. I myself have not confirmed this information, but thought I'd pass it along. Some of Phillips sons also served in the militia during the war of 1812, for Pennsylvania.

Re: New Castle Houks

Posted: 14 Aug 2001 6:32PM GMT
Edited: 27 Jul 2003 3:13AM GMT
Surnames: Houk, Barnhart,
Sue,
Did you ever get the list of Ben Houk's children with wives and dates? Let me know if not and I'll compile them again.
Still befuddled on who Lucinda Houk Barnhart or Lucinda Barnhart Houk belonged to.
Jim

Posted: 16 Aug 2001 1:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Phillip Houk served in Frelinghuysen's battalion in New Jersey. Roll 641 in the National Archives. There are a number of people who obtained membership in the Sons of the American Revolution and Daughters of The American Revolution through Phillip Houk. According to family records, He was born in Germany, but I have reservations about that.We have searched ships manifests and several areas in Germany and have been unable to confirm his birth in Germany.I'm beginning to think he was born in New Jersey.
David Houk, my great grandfather, married Margaret Newton.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.