Search for content in message boards

Famous Townleys/Towneleys of Burnley Lancashire UK

Famous Townleys/Towneleys of Burnley Lancashire UK

Dave O'Reilly (View posts)
Posted: 20 Feb 2004 11:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Everyone
Thought you might not have seen this link to a Museum/Hall/Park, about 10 miles up the road from me here.

It is called Towneley Hall, note the extra "e" and you can access it through

<www.burnley.gov.uk/towneley>;

I think I come from the peasant side of the family tho!!

dave

Re: Famous Townleys/Towneleys of Burnley Lancashire UK

Posted: 1 May 2004 3:39PM GMT
Edited: 5 Jan 2005 9:48PM GMT
David,

We have emailed back and forth before. I am planning to come to the UK to (research Townleys) in September of 2005. Since you belong to the "pleasant" Townleys, I am hoping to have the opportunity to meet you next year.

Sara S.

Posted: 1 May 2004 3:40PM GMT
David,

I guess you said "peasant" and not "pleasant". Still hope to meet you.

Dave O'Reilly (View posts)
Posted: 2 May 2004 7:26AM GMT
Hi Sara
Yes! I did mean peasant!!
But I look forward to meeting you, if and when!
Great Great Grandma, Townley "took in washing" in the slums of Manchester (Where the University is now), but her son ran a successful Herbalist/Confectioners shop in the later half of that century and broke out of poverty (Who was it said that Britain was a "Nation of shopkeepers"?!! His daughter, was taught french and piano and passed on a love for learning to my mother, a schoolteacher. Now I am a schoolteacher too and my both my children work in schools, as does my wife!!

Coincidentally, my bathtime reading at present is a book titled, "The Victorian Peasant" - Oh! and how they had it rough!!

Dave

Posted: 3 May 2004 12:05AM GMT
Dave,

Thanks for responding to my question. I believe that all Townleys come from a common ancestor. I would bet that, possibly two centuries back, our ancestors were siblings. By the way, my great, great grandparents were married in Manchester Cathedral in, as I recall, 1868.

Sara

Posted: 27 Jun 2004 9:08AM GMT
Edited: 8 Jul 2005 1:29AM GMT
Thank you so much that link really helped with some of my research, gave me loads more information to had to my tree.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.