Search for content in message boards

St. Clara's Orphanage

St. Clara's Orphanage

DeLorris Rekoske (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2006 12:49AM GMT
Classification: Query
Can someone tell me about St. Clara's Orphanage at Polonia? I saw a reference to it in an obit posted on this board. I am looking for info re a Portage Co. relative who was placed in an orphange when her mother died but had no idea until reading that obit where that would have been. Where does one write re records that must exist? Has anyone had any luck in getting info or is that all sealed? I recently contacted the Veterans Home at King re a different relative and was told that other then giving me the burial site there is little they can divulge anymore due to "privacy concerns". They did respond with a letter givng the date the person was admitted to the home, the death date and included a map of the cemetery with the grave location marked.

Re: St. Clara's Orphanage

Posted: 23 Feb 2006 3:01AM GMT
Edited: 18 Nov 2006 1:47PM GMT
I have no idea of where the records are kept as I just discovered the existance of this orphanage myself the other day, but I would try writing or calling Sacred Heart Parish http://www.parishesonline.com/scripts/HostedSites/org.asp?p=... for more information as that is the church it was connected to.

LuAnn

Re: St. Clara's Orphanage - more info

Posted: 28 Feb 2006 5:05PM GMT
Here's a little more information about St. Clare's Orphanage.

In 1880, the Felician Sisters' mother-house, Saint Claire Convent, had become too small for the growing community in Polonia. In 1882 the mother-house was moved to Detroit, MI and the old convent was then turned into an orphanage for homeless boys conducted by the sisters. In 1914 the orphanage burned to the ground, leaving the orphans and the Felician Sisters temporarily shelterless. It was rebuilt a year later.

There are three pictures related to the orphanage in "100th Anniversary: Sacred Heart Congregation Polonia, Wisconsin" .

The sisters discontinued the orphange in the 1920s making it a home for their own aged Sisters.

LuAnn
Attachments:

Re: St. Clara's Orphanage

DeLorris Rekoske (View posts)
Posted: 5 Mar 2006 3:12PM GMT
Thanks for your responses. Does anyone know of any other orphange or home in or near Portage Co? Info I am seeking is re a little girl who was placed in an orphange when her mother died until about the age of ten when she was then placed with a family as a "mother's helper". Apparently this was in the area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.