Search for content in message boards

Ninevah Barnes

Ninevah Barnes

Sharon Barger Carnes (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Barnes, Teague, Burrell
I'm still hard at work on the Ninevah Barnes family. Though there are many documents out there that indicate that Ninevah was born in GA, I now feel that this is incorrect. I feel he was born in NC, probably related to the Barnes' who settled in the Cashiers area of Jackson Co. These Barnes', William and George, had a brother named Ninevah (b. c1760s). I've found nothing to suggest that he ever set foot in Jackson Co., but there must be some connection to the other Nineveh, b. c1810. Let me share what I found in the 1850 Union Co., GA census:

Barnes, Nineva 40 NC

Elizabeth 41 NC

Mary Ann 12 NC

Nancy 10 NC

William 8 NC

Matilda 7 NC

Martha 5 NC

Elizabeth 3 NC

Ninevah m2(though I have not found any marriage records for any of his marriages) Susan McClure. They had atleast one child, Joseph. Ninevah m3, Mary A. "Polly" Watson, d/o Moses Watson. They had Dovie, Nellie Ann, David A., and Margret L. This info is by no means complete. There are still some of Ninevah's known children that I can't seem to find, such as Chloe and John Barnes. Dates never seem to be correct with this family. They often made out to be older than what they were, etc. Even cemetery inscriptions do not correspond with death certificates.
Sharon

Ninevah Barnes

Patricia Poitinger (View posts)
Posted: 27 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Hooper, Slatton
Sharon,I recieved this information from Naomi Hooper Green last week.

1870 Jackson Co., NC--92/93
Barnes, Ninevah, 57, b NC
Burrell, Mary, 35, b,NC Keeping House
Burrell, Nellie, 10, b. GA
Burrell, Mark, 8, b. GA
Burrell, Georgie, 6, b. GA
Burrell, Margaret, 2,b.GA
Taylor, Cloa, male, 22, b.NC
Taylor, William N.,2 b.NC
Barnes, Martha, 20, b.NC

1880 Jackson Co., NC-Hamburg-6/6
Barnes, Ninnivy(male)66, b.NC, both parents b. NC
Mary A. Wife 45, b. NC, both parents b.NC
Dasey (?) A. dau, 10, b NC
Nelyan, dau, 9,B.NC
David A.,son, 7,b.NC
Marget L., dau,5,b.NC
Avaline R.,dau,23,Single, b.NC
John M.,51/2,son,b. NC (listed as "daughter")
Woodring,Salena,21,Boarder,b.NC
Woodring, John,2,son,b.NC

1900 Jackson Co., NC-Hamburg-107/107
Dwelling# 108
Slatton, Leeroy, 26, b.NC
Margaret, wife,25
Lillie, dau.,6,b.NC
Alford B.,son,5, b.NC
Sarah,dau,2,b.NC
Gertie,dau,1/12,b.NC
Barnes, Nineva, father-in-law,100,widow,b.NC, parents b.SC

Dwelling#109
Barnes, Dovie A. 30, Single,b.NC
Barnes, Mary, Mother,65,b.NC

Dewlling #110
Barnes, Nellie A., 29 Single,b.NC
Ashe,William,son,3,b.NC
Ashe,Martha,dau,10/12,b. NC

So what does this mean? Are they the same family? How could Ninnivy be 66 in 1880 and 100 in 1900? Why does he state his is a widow, when Mary lives next door with daughter Dovie A.? Were these people guessing at ages and birth place? Just more questions to ponder.
PATTI

Re: Ninevah Barnes

GLENN CLIFFORD BARNES (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2001 5:20AM GMT
Surnames: BARNES,BURELL,TALLEY CHASTAIN DENTON
Hi:
I read you exchange with much interest. I am descended from George W. Barnes born 1825 and he is also in Union county in 1850. George is descended from one of these men and I would be so grateful if you would contact me at bl61@qwest.net (that is bee elle 61) I anxiously await a reply. Sincerely, Glenn Clifford Barnes

Re: Ninevah Barnes

Posted: 27 Jul 2001 9:57PM GMT
Edited: 13 Mar 2002 12:33AM GMT
Surnames: Barnes, Burrell,Teaque, Talley, Pickelsimer, Herrin, Chastain
Hi I am reading your exchanges with much interest. I am a descendent of George W. Barnes. I am researching the lineage now and am looking at the people you are speaking about. In 1860 Macon county census old George W. Barnes was 67 and the Teaques were his neighbors. By 1870 he and young George are dead and the Herrins( who are related to young George) are living there and Millie Teague is living with them. Also , in 1850 Union county Ga census young George Barnes is living with Drucilla directly next door to Bright and Eleander Burrell. I saw a posting that says Drucilla was Brights graddaughter. Rather that proves true or not she had four daughters with my ancestor. The Barnes connections are strong in this lineage and I would sure like to speak to you. Please contact me bl61@qwest.net (THAT IS BEE ELLE 61) Thanks Glenn Clifford Barnes
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.