Search for content in message boards

Isabella Bain, William Bain and .....

Isabella Bain, William Bain and .....

Posted: 3 Jan 2008 3:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Hello - in 1861 census an isabella Bain (formerly Smith) with her one-year old son William was visiting my GGG unlce Allan McBain's residence in Aberdeen when the census was taken.

Not sure why they were there, but since they were visiting from Kincardine (any William Bains I could find on IGI that fit the parent name and age were born there, either in 1859 or 1860)they were likely somehow related, either to my GGG Uncle Allan McBain or his wife Mary Trail.

Does anyone have any info on Isabella Bain, William Bain (her son) from Kincardine?

I appreciate all bits of info you may have!:)

mcbainbuff

Re: Isabella Bain, William Bain and .....

Posted: 4 Jan 2008 12:25PM GMT
John McBain/McBean and Christian Campbell had the following family, all born at Old Machar, Aberdeen:

Jane 28 Dec 1819
John 16 Dec 1820
Allan 15 Sep 1822
William 11 Aug 1824
Grace 12 Jul 1826
Angus 21 Sep 1830

A William McBain/McBean married Isabella Smith at Fetteresso, Kincardineshire on 1 Jan 1859. It looks as if Isabella was a sister-in-law of William's brothers and sisters. However, it would be best to access their marriage certificate to discover if William's parents were as above.

Posted: 4 Jan 2008 1:24PM GMT
Children born to William Bain and Isabella Smith were:

William 9Jan 1860
John 25 Jan 1862
Margaret Smith 26 May 1864
Isabella 8 Aug 1869
Alexander 20 Sep 1869
Helen 14 Jan 1874

All were born at Maryculter except William, born Fetteresso

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 1:43PM GMT
Surnames: McBain, Bain, Taylor, Campbell, Smith, Prott
Hi Bervonian! Good sleuthing - the first reply with John McBean/Christian Campbell's children is correct. John McBean/Christian Campbell are my GGGG grandparents.

The William Bain I am checking out, alas, is different from the William McBain (who is son of John and Christian).

Aberdeen Geneology Centre found and sent to me the death certificate for my William McBain, son of John and Christian - he died 1886, single.
I know the surnames often mixed and matched the "Mc
parts, so that is why I wonder if this William "Bain" was somehow related to my Aberdeen McBains. Or, any other Bains of Kincardine may somehow be connected?

Your second post, the child list itself, is interesting.
The boys names - William, John, Alexander - are all very prominent in my McBain tree through four generations. Isabella, I get. Margaret may mean that William Bain, the dad, is son of Margaret Prott of Aberdeen.
and then there is this Helen Bain.

The intriguing thing is, my Allan McBain and Mary Trail, whom Isabella Smith (Bain) and her 1 year-old son (William) were visiting during the 1851 census, also had an adopted 5 year-old girl, named Helen Taylor. She is supposed to have been born in Kinellar though who knows for certain...

However, another Bain (James Bain married an Isabella Taylor in 1855 in Maryculter. I thought perhaps that Helen may been their daughter? These two named their later son William Alexander Allan Leslie Bain - maybe Alan was a reference to my Allan McBain for adopting the daughter? Silliness on my part? Stupid conjecture? or a possibility?

Any advice?

btw, Bervonian - is that a reference to Bervie?

Cam

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 5:02PM GMT
Hi Cam,
1. William Bain born 1860 Cookney, Fetteresso. Parents: William Bain and Isabella Smith.
2. William Alexander Allan Leslie Bain born 24 May 1861 Kinneff & Catterline. Parents: James Bain and Isabella Taylor.
I downloaded William and Isabella's marriage certificate which gives the following:

"On the first day of January at Muchalls, Parish of Fetteresso. Marriage (after Banns) was solemnized between us according to the Forms of the Church of Scotland.
William Bain 30 years Residence: 100 Green, Aberdeen. General Labourer. Parents: John Bain, farmer (deceased) and Jean Bain (M.S. Man) deceased.
Isabella Smith 22 years Residence: 7 Hunters Row, Aberdeen. Domestic Servant. Parents: Alexander Smith, Land Steward (deceased) and Isabella Smith (M.S. Leith) deceased.
Witnesses: Robert Allan and James Burnett."

I could find no record of a marriage between John and Jean Bain nor the birth of their son William. Hope this is is of some help. Yes, I live in Inverbervie or Bervie as it's known locally.

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 5:44PM GMT
Thanks! If I need some assistance or have further questions can I contact you through this same thread?

Cam (mcbainbuff)

Posted: 5 Jan 2008 10:05PM GMT
I'll be happy to oblige. Just ask away !

Isles

Posted: 8 Jan 2008 2:53AM GMT
Surnames: Bain
I am wondering if you have come across any Bain siblings or cousins. I have a Susan Bain - d/o James Bain and Christian Beedie.

William Bain and Isabella Smith

Posted: 8 Jan 2008 6:01AM GMT
Surnames: Bain, Smith
Although there are other families living at 37 Longacre, Aberdeen in 1881, perhaps the following could be related to your Isabella SMITH?

1881 Census: Dwelling: 37 Longacre
Census Place: Aberdeen St Nicholas, Aberdeen, Scotland
Wm. SMITH M 52 M Bellie ((Bellor)), Banff, Scotland
Rel: Head Occ: Genl Labourer
Helen SMITH M 49 F Banchory, Kincardine, Scotland
Rel: Wife
Maggie SMITH U 17 F Aberdeen, Scotland
Rel: Dau Occ: Millworker
James SMITH 14 M Aberdeen, Scotland
Rel: Son Occ: Millworker
Gina SMITH 9 F Gateshead, Durham, England
Rel: Dau Occ: Scholar

Posted: 9 Jan 2008 6:17AM GMT
Surnames: Bain, Smith
What generation is your Susan Bain from, ie year of birth, etc?

Personally I have no Bains, just McBains, but in my McBain line there may very well be cousins who are Bains - atleast that is what I am investigating with William and Isabella Bain!

I think this particular William Bain has a brother George, b. 1822 in Aberdeen. i have not traced anything down about him beyond that.

per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.