Search for content in message boards

Watkins family of Merthyr-Tydfil, South Wales, mid 1700s, iron furnaces and owned property

Watkins family of Merthyr-Tydfil, South Wales, mid 1700s, iron furnaces and owned property

Posted: 2 Jan 2005 1:13PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Watkins, Probert
Would be interested to hear if anyone has more information on this Watkins family.

Found the following in typed copy of a letter, in my possession, on Probert family history:
Probert, Arthur T., Paterson, New Jersey, USA,: letter to his children, March 1882.

"The son, whose name was David [Probert], was born in 1736. He married a Miss Watkins, whose family owned property at Merthyn-Tydvil [shown as Merthyr- Tydfil on present day road atlas] and her brother was the first to start an iron furnace in that place. He [from further reading this appears to refer to Watkins rather than Probert] got along well in that business until he had two furnaces of his own. Then he thought he would take a partner and push out more in business by building a third furnace. He took on a Frenchman as a partner and they thought it would pay to take a ship and cargo of iron to France. As the Frenchman could speak French, it was concluded that the Frenchman would go with the ship and dispose of the cargo of iron. It arrived safely in France and that was the last heard of the cargo and the French partner, but it ruined Grandfather's Uncle Watkins besides a debt of twenty thousand punds sterling - a great sum of money in those days - but the family seems to have paid it for they wre able to redeem Grandfather's Uncle. In those days the law in Great Britain held them until they paid the utmost farthing.
David Probert and Miss Watkins had a son when David Probert's wife was but sixteen years old and named him Thomas after Grandfather Thomas Watkins. This was the first time as far back as the family can trace where the oldest son was not called David and this Thomas was my Grandfather Probert and born in 1761." [So "Miss Watkins" was born about 1745 if other facts are correct.]

Re: Watkins family of Merthyr-Tydfil, South Wales, mid 1700s, iron furnaces and owned property

Posted: 25 Jan 2005 10:34PM GMT
Classification: Query
I was most excited to read your post regarding the Watkins-Probert names. Think maybe we might be connected. My dad always maintained there was a Wales connection, his brother said no. My info comes from the IGI (cannot put my fingers on it right now): Stephen Watkins had three children, James, Meredith & Hester, born Kington (Hereforshire, Eng). James had Elizabeth, James, Mary, Hester, Eleanor, Jane (b May 1735), William (b Oct 1737), Usher, Meredith, born same. (Jane mar 25 May 1759 to David Probert?, William mar 14 Feb 1762 to Eliz. Probert?). William had Thomas, William, John, John, James, William, James, Elizabeth, James, born Kings Pyon (Huntington, Eng). Thomas had William, James, Thomas (born Huntington). William had Salina (?), Thomas Wm, Robert Tully, Walter, Elizabeth born Aperly (?) & Cheltenham, Eng. Robert Tully had Cecil Charles, Cecil Frank, Horatio, Arthur Percival, Sidney Robert, born Oxford, Eng. Arthur Percival had Arthur Cyril, Reginald Tully (my dad), Phyllis Gertrude, John Percival, all born Vancouver BC, Canada.

Would love to hear from you or anyone who recognizes the above names. gailchubb@msn.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.