Search for content in message boards

Joseph T. Chambers

Joseph T. Chambers

Posted: 19 Jul 2005 10:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Box, Whisenant, Chambers
I'm looking for information on Joseph T. (Taylor) Chambers born NC @1847-his father was born in NC, mother : SC. He married Roda (Smathers?) 1st. or 2nd. and then Ella Whisenant (TX,)

I know he lived in the Haywood -Beave Dam at one time.

Would like to know his parents name and more information.

Barbara Thomas

Re: Joseph T. Chambers

Posted: 13 Dec 2010 5:11PM GMT
Surnames: Pharr, Chambers, Hall
J.T. chambers father was Jesse Chambers and mother was a Hall from Haywood county. Jesse evidently married another lady also
so appears J.T. lived with Uncle in Haywood county.

Jesse moved to Texas around 1880 and died in Tyler,Texas living with his daughter & son in law. The Hall wife remained in Haywood county.

J.T.'s second wife was Rhoda Parris Pharr and they married in Tennessee in 1886 or 1887. Rhoda had 2 girls from previous marriage to Burton Lee Pharr. Burton was reportedly murdered in 1876 by a Smathers.

J.T. was my grandmothers step father and moved from NC with son Clarance and my grandmother Berta Pharr.

Posted: 10 Aug 2011 10:12PM GMT
Surnames: Chambers, Box, Whisenant, Maikell, Weems
I would so love to hear from you as I have a picture of J.T. holding my grandmother ZOLA. Lou Ella Roba Whistnant is seated beside him with their 3 yr old Ernani standing in front of her. Clarence is standing behind J.T. and your Grandmother Berta is standing next to him. She is lovely and J.T. and Lou Ella had another girl in 1901 they name after Berta (my great Aunt) becuase they love your grandmother so dearly. I am so happy to get this information ...I have had a difficult time in getting a post to you and hope you will eventiually read this. My email is Bmaikell@me.com

Posted: 26 Mar 2012 6:46PM GMT
Surnames: Chambers, Hall, Pharr
I am still trying to get the names of J. T. Chambers parents. This is my great grandfather. Your grandmoher was his step daughter. He married 1st. a Emma...had son Clarence....He and Emma are living next door to Rhoda Pharr...and daughters by Burton Lee Pharr in the 1880 Census records Beaver Dam Haywood NC. Joseph Taylor Chambers death record says his mother's maiden name is Rebecca. Could she have been named Rebecca Hall??? On those census records where I find these families living next door I also find several Smathers families. Please reply if you know the name of his parents...you stated a Jessie as a father...poss a Hall as a mother. I cant find any records. If you have dob's it might help me out somewhat. If anyone has his parents listed it would help me out. Thanks in advance.

Posted: 23 Jun 2012 12:30AM GMT
Surnames: Chambers,Pharr. Parris
J.T. (Taylor) Chambers was my great grand father. He couldn't have moved to Tx. in 1880...He had son Clarence in 1881or 1882 ( in NC) In 1885 he did marry Rhoda Parris Pharr in TN. Rhoda had 2 girls (In 1880 both these families are found in NC Census in Haywood Co. Living J.T. Chambers and wife living next door to Rhoda Pharr and daughters. It appears J.T. Wife may have died with the birth of son Clarence. Clarence and one of the Pharr girls came to Tx. but it is believed they returned to N.C. I really am just trying to find Joseph parents names.....his father may have died young and Josseph Taylor and a Rebecca Chambers are listed in a Hall household in N.C. In (I'm not for sure this is him. However we uncovered Joseph Taylors death Cert. His father is listed as only a "Chambers" his mother as a "Rebecca"
I know that the Smathers are somehow connected to the Chambers family.

Posted: 13 Aug 2012 11:57PM GMT
Surnames: McClure, Chambers, Parris
Sorry abut the 1880 date for J.T. going to Texas. Way off. It was more like 1891/92. I've heard they stopped in Paris area ( most likely Tyler where T.J.'s dad Jesse had lived with other wife--Margaret Steed) then proceeded to Dublin. Most surely traveled by train. As I heard J.T. sold fruit trees for a living around Dublin.
Your right my grandmother (Berta) must have returned to NC fairly quickly. She lived in a boarding school in Asheville and later went to NC Normal and graduated in first graduating class in 1893/94.

Posted: 14 Aug 2012 12:41AM GMT
I would love to have more information on her.

Here is the problem I am trying to straighten out...some people are saying Joseph Chambers father is Jessie Chambers found living in McLennan, TX in 1880. He is living with sons Joseph and James. This son is the same age as my Joseph Chambers who is living in N.C. married to Emma ( mother of Clarence ) and Living next to his cousin Berton Pharr and wife Rhoda...who becomes his wife in Tn -1885----So just who is my Joseph Chambers father?

My Joseph is with his sister Rebecca living with uncle ( a Hall in 1870 in N.C.) he is not with his mother or father---
Joseph gives his mothers name as Rebecca on a death cert.
Some reserachers give this Jessie as marrying a Steed.( again making this all confusing to me.

Who is Jospeh Taylor Chambers father who some say came to Tx. before him? Or...do people have him mixed up with the Jessie Chambers living in MCLennon TX. I can not document this man as his father...as he has another son with the name of Joseph Chambers born the same year as mine...doesn't make sense.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.