Search for content in message boards

African-American Goodman

African-American Goodman

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 3:27AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Goodman Gray
Hello All,

I am looking for information on Randall and Matilda (Tilda) Goodman. Randall was born approx. 1843 in Nansemond Co., VA. His parents were Thomas Raby and Hester Goodman. Matilda was born approx. 1852 in Southampton, Co. VA. Her parents were Charles and Mary Gray. The two were married in 1871 in Norfolk Co., VA. Please contact me if you have any information...thanks!

Re: African-American Goodman

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 1:34PM GMT
I am from the (black)Goodman line - my grandfather was from that part of VA his name was Curney Marvin Goodman born in 1907 - moved to Brooklyn as a teenager (13). His parents were Paul Goodman and Pearl (Hayslett) Goodman. My grandfather was very fair skin...maybe, most likely we are related - i have the names of some or all of his siblings.

Posted: 16 Apr 2007 8:59PM GMT
Surnames: Gray Raby Goodman
Thank you for replying. This is what I know so far. Randall Goodman married my gg grandfather's sister. Her name was Matilda Gray. They married in 1871 in Norfolk County. This was at least Randall's second marriage. Randall was born in Nansemond County in approx. 1843. His parents were Thomas Raby and Hester Goodman. Matilda's parents were Charles and Mary Gray. I'm wondering if Randall's father was white. There were a lot of white and mulatto Rabys in Nansemond, especially white. There was a white Thomas Raby. They were married in the Bower's Hill section of Norfolk County at Matilda's father's house. If you find out any additional information, please let me know...thanks!

Robin

Posted: 17 Apr 2007 12:36AM GMT
Surnames: Goodman
could be you are american Indian did you ever check out that idea I understand that some Goodmans were and they were dark Elsie

Posted: 17 Apr 2007 1:52AM GMT
I haven't looked into that possibility. I guess that is another avenue to follow. Do you have any information on Goodmans in the Nansemond/Norfolk County areas?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.