Search for content in message boards

Griffy family

Griffy family

Wm. H. Griffy (View posts)
Posted: 9 Apr 2003 10:55PM GMT
Classification: Query
Seek any Griffys associated with iron making in Shenandoah, Page, Rockingham Co. VA , Cumberland Co. PA or Frederick Co., MD, Wm. H. Griffy Email WHGND@YAHOO.COM

Re: Griffy family

Dennis (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2003 4:18PM GMT
Surnames: Griffy-Griffith
I have been told that people named Griffith were sometimes called Griffy. My 4th gr-grandfather was John L. Griffith, b ca 1756 in Va. He was a drummer boy in the Revolutionary War and on 11 Dec 1800, he married Nancy Francis, in Bourbon County, Ky. Ca 1839 the couple moved to northwest Missouri.
I have not been able to prove who John's parents were and whether or not he had siblings.

Have you ever heard before that names have been interchanged? Thanks for your help. Dennis

Posted: 25 Jul 2003 9:26PM GMT
The Griffy/Griffith name has often been interchanged. My Griffy family was associated with the iron making business in Shenandoah,Page,Rockingham Cos.,VA & Cumberland Co. PA. If you are connected with these counties we may have a connection.

Dennis (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jul 2003 2:27PM GMT
Surnames: Griffy, Griffith
Somewhere I did read that John L. Griffith, b ca 1756, was from York, Va. However, I do not know whether this was the county or if there is a town by that name. Thank you for responding. Dennis

Posted: 28 Jul 2003 8:12PM GMT
My Griffy family was from Shen. Co., VA. Nathaniel Griffy then went to Del. Co. IN, where he married Sarah Hurley in 1860 & died in Wayne Co. IN 1891,

Dennis (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2003 8:25PM GMT
Surnames: Griffy, Griffith
Thanks for the information. My Griffith family seemed to migrate from Virginia to Kentucky then to Missouri. Dennis

Posted: 15 Feb 2004 10:41PM GMT
Hello
I show some Griffee/Griffy folks in Osage Co,Mo

pat

Dennis (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2004 10:22PM GMT
Surnames: Griffee, Griffy
Patricia:

The actual name was Griffith, but sometimes it was spelled as Griffey. I will look into that county. Thanks, Dennis

Posted: 17 Nov 2004 12:48AM GMT
Edited: 30 May 2006 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: GRIFFEY, PETERS & LAMBERSON
I am also interested in the Griffey family of Shenandoah County, VA. I want to find out if Mark Griffy (born 1818) married (1843) Elizabeth Peters. Elizabeth's grandfather was Jeremiah Lamberson (Lummerson) who traveled with the Blackford and Arthur iron workers. Mark Griffey may have died in the Civil War. Would love to exchange info as there has to be a connection. Like to know more about the Griffey iron works connection.
Carole

Posted: 20 Jan 2005 9:34PM GMT
I am looking for the parents of my gfa Charles. Harrison Griffey/Griffee b1849 NE/IA. He had a sis Edna, 2 bros John & George. Charles was a RR Engr & Geo. was a fireman. All three bros served in the Union Army. Charles m 1) Emma Kister c1881 2) Emma Plummer 1891. Do they sound familiar?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.