Search for content in message boards

Patrick McGrath from County Tipperary, Ireland to Newfoundland, Canada in 1828-29.

Patrick McGrath from County Tipperary, Ireland to Newfoundland, Canada in 1828-29.

Posted: 13 Dec 2001 2:48PM GMT
Classification: Query
I am seeking ships records for Patrick McGrath would would have been 8 or 9 years old when he came from County Tipperary, Ireland to Newfoundland, Canada in 1828-29. We are told that he came with 3 brothers. Unsure of their names.

Any help in locating these records would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeanne

Re: Patrick McGrath from County Tipperary, Ireland to Newfoundland, Canada in 1828-29.

Posted: 14 Dec 2001 6:03PM GMT
Edited: 15 May 2002 4:49PM GMT
I am seeking information on a Richard McGrath Co. Tipperary
married a Catherine in Oct. 1814. in Carrick-on Suir Co.
Tipperary. They settled in Argentia,Nfld.

Re: Patrick McGrath from County Tipperary, Ireland to Newfoundland, Canada in 1828-29.

Jeanne Pratt (View posts)
Posted: 15 Dec 2001 1:25PM GMT
I'm not certain of any other family given names. That is why I was trying to find out if any ship records could be found for him.

My father (whose mother was Mary Anne McGrath, daughter to Patrick McGrath) did however name one of his sons Richard. We have often wondered where that name came from.

I will check with others in my research group to see what they think.

Great to hear from you. And good luck in your search.

Jeanne

Posted: 16 Dec 2001 3:03PM GMT
Joanne,
I neglected to mention that according to family lore our Patrick's parents names were Richard and Kitty (could be a nickname for Catherine). Wondered if you have any more information that my possibly help us to determine if they are one and the same. When and where did Richard and Catherine die? Do you know the names of any of their children, whether any of them immigrated to the United States etc.?

Here's hoping!!!
Jeanne

Posted: 18 Dec 2001 12:32PM GMT
I am not real good at this message posting so hope this message is received.

I had left a message seeking information on Patrick McGrath. Patrick was born in 1820 in Tipperary Ireland and (we believe in 1828-29) came to Newfoundland, Canada and then on to the United States.

The information that we have on our Patrick McGrath's parents is that their names were Richard and Kitty (most of the people that I know that are known as Kitty are actually named Catherine). In addition, my father named one of his sons Richard as did at least one other descendant of Patrick. Given the way the Irish named their offspring, this is indeed a most promising lead, as we are told by Irish historians that Richard is actually quite an UNCOMMON name in Ireland.

Patrick McGrath married Anne Tracey/Tracy from Clonmore Parish in Tipperary. Patrick's daughter Mary Anne married James Begley (they are my grandparents).

Please get back to me to let me know what your thoughts are on a possible connection.

Here's Hoping,
Jeanne
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.