Search for content in message boards

Bullis, does anyone know nationality of name?

Bullis, does anyone know nationality of name?

Posted: 28 Jul 2003 12:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Feb 2006 4:18AM GMT
Surnames: Doxtator, welch, Murphy, HIll Metoxen, Jacobs, Bullis, Miller bennett
My great great grandfather's name was Julius Bullis, he married Elizabeth Murphy, I know Elizabeth came over to america from Ireland, but I don't know if Julius met her in Ireland or Amreica, does anyone know what the nationality of the name Bullis is, someone told me it was english, someone else told me it might be danish or irish and I am so confused! please if you know the origins of the name please let me know, I am having a hard time finding that name, of course it is harder when they marry into american indian families , and Julius and Elizabeths daughter did. any help would be appreciated, if I knew Julius' nationality I might have a better chance locating him thanks

Re: Bullis, does anyone know nationality of name?

Posted: 3 Aug 2003 3:56PM GMT
Surnames: BULLIS
Are you wondering where to search for their ancestors? Carol

Kirk Bullis (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jan 2004 10:57PM GMT
The first bullis to come to the U.S. was phillip bullis. b.1639 in birmingham england. he married judith hart in charlestown , mass in dec 1663. they had 5 children.
elizabeth,sarah, john, thomas and rachel.

I hope this helps
Kirk

Posted: 19 Feb 2004 1:16AM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2004 10:45PM GMT
My grandmother (Marion Ardis Bullis) is a descendant of Philip, her line being: George Washington Bullis, William Charles Bullis. Milo J. Bullis, Thomas Bullis, Thomas Bullis, John Bullis, Thomas Bullis, and finally Philip Bullis and Judith Hart.

I once posed the same question and got back the following "informed" opinions. I guess you can pick the one that seems to suit.

1. "The Bullis family originally came to England in 1066 from Normandy with William The Conqueror (William I). The name is from the French "Bois Ville", or village in the woods". (This was from "Personal and Family Names", Harry Alfred Long, published in 1883, London, England by Adams and Company.

2. BULA: meaning bull. The name Bool thru Bulpin are derived from this old English word. The names Bullas, Bullass, Bullus, and Bullis, are simply modern contractions or simplifications of the term: Bull-House. (Reference was anonymous)

3. BULLIS: Cattle Tenders. (This was published in "English Ancestral Names - The Evolution of the Surname From Medieval Occupations", J.R. Dulan.

4. BULLIS: Originally spelled Bullace, referring to a type of wild plum, growing along hedgerows in England. The fruit is used in the production of slow gin. (Reference was anonymous)

Variations of the name that I have thusfar found include, but are certainly not limited to: Bulis, Bulliss, Bullice, Bullace, Bullus, Bollis, Bulles, Bolles, Boulis, and Bullas.

Have fun ... I basically gave up on trying to find an authorive answer to that question (but I lean heavily to the Norman line, coming to England ... as are many Irish or Scottish surnames derived)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.