Search for content in message boards

Tucker Family of Jersey County 1840s to 1870s

Tucker Family of Jersey County 1840s to 1870s

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 4:51AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tucker
I’m looking for information on a Tucker family that I have yet to see discussed on this board (or anywhere for that matter.)

My great great grandfather was David M. Tucker born in Virginia about 1811. He was married to the former Hannah A. Grammar born in Ohio about the same time. The last name Grammar comes from my great grandfather’s (Freeman Sydney Tucker) death certificate as well his short bio written in 1917. Birth years are iffy because they come from census records.

They had 5 kids: Larkin M, Martha A, Harmon, Dickinson, and Freeman. Census records list them all as being born in Illinois, with the oldest (Larkin) being born in 1838

I see them all in Jersey County in the 1850 and all but Dickinson in the 1860 federal census. David’s occupation is listed as blacksmith, but the bio of Freeman Tucker says that his father built wagons. It also said that he was a former river captain who gave up the river when the high water of 1844 washed away his land. The bio also said that David moved to Jerseyville after he lost his land (in the high water) and lived there until his death at the age of 69.

In 1850 they are shown living in Township 7 Range 13, Jersey County. In 1860 they are in Richwood, Jersey County.

I see Hannah with the family in the 1865 Illinois State Census, but no David. I don’t believe he would have died by then. I found a civil war record for a David Tucker but don’t know if it was MY David Tucker; there just isn’t enough information to say “Yeah, that’s him.”

In 1870, I see both Freeman and Larkin, still living in Jersey County (back in Township 7 Range 13) with wives. Both give their occupation as farmer. Harmon and Dickinson are nowhere to be found and neither are either of the parents, but I haven’t found any death records.

By 1880, Freeman and Larkin and their respective families moved to Nebraska, along with the family of Freeman’s in-laws.

I see no land or tax records, at least online, for MY David Tucker, although I do see the same name belonging to a doctor in Jersey County. In fact, I don’t see any tax records for any of them, which makes me wonder if they were tenant farmers or something like that.

The Illinois Genweb site confirmed marriage info for Freeman and Larkin, and suggested a possibility for the marriage of Martha. The marriage of Freeman by a JP makes me wonder if the family didn’t have any particular religious beliefs.

There are a couple of other tidbits of info that may or may not lead to clues. One is that Freeman was quite industrious in his own right as a young man. In his bio it stated that he brought the first steam powered thresher to Jersey County. Would that be documented anywhere that might offer any further info?

Freeman also thought very highly of education according to his work later in life as an elected official in Nebraska. Coincidentally, the 1850 census shows a school teacher by the name of Dumas living with the family in Jersey County. It makes me wonder if the interest in education was a family trait, and if so could there be any related records of that nature?

Does anyone have any knowledge of this Tucker family, perhaps on the periphery of someone’s tree? I have seen that they tend to re-use some of the names in the family: Larkin named one of his sons Freeman, and Freeman named one of his daughter’s Martha. So when I see some of those names in records of the previous or later generations, I wonder if they might be some relation or if the names are just a coincidence.

Other than that does anyone have any suggestions on how and where to proceed? It’s my understanding there is a severe lack of death records from that time period, so I would guess that birth records are probably hopeless, and I have seen no sign of any sort of religious records as of yet. I’m afraid that short of visiting every cemetery in Jersey County, I’m not going to find anything more about David and Hannah; and even if I could do that, I have to wonder if they weren’t buried on a farm somewhere.

I feel like I know so much about them, but still know so little. Plus another little monkey wrench in what I THINK I know. I found a marriage record from Madison County Illinois for a David M. Tucker and Hannah Mize in 1836. That year would be about right considering the age of their oldest child, and the right location for someone who worked the river and lost land in a flood. But I can’t figure how they would have gotten the name Grammar out of Mize.

Again any input, suggestions, or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Tucker Family of Jersey County 1840s to 1870s

Posted: 7 Apr 2012 9:47PM GMT
I’m not related to any member of this family.

1930 is the last available census at this time.

ILL Vital Records -
Birth and death registration started in 1916.

Dan Pippin
Illinois Department of Public Health
Division of Vital Records

Have you tried -
Illinois Death and Marriage Databases – FREE and SEARCHABLE
http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/archives/datab...

Nebraska State Census Collection, 1860-1885
Name: Larkin Tucker
Birth Year: abt 1840
Birth Place: Illinois
Race: White
Residence: Blair, Washington, Nebraska
Census Year: 1885

Larkin Tucker 45, ILL farmer
Angeline 40, IND
Freman 21, ILL
William 14, ILL
Oscar 9, ILL
Dena 5, NEB

1900 -
Name: Angeline Tucker
Birth Date: Mar 1850
Birthplace: Indiana
Home in 1900: Florence, Douglas, Nebraska
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Widowed
Father's Birthplace: Ohio
Mother's Birthplace: Indiana
Mother: number of living children: 5
Mother: How many children: 5

Angeline Tucker 50, 3/50 IND - widow
Willie Tucker 36, 2/68 ILL
Oscar Tucker 23, 12/76 ILL
Olga Tucker 19, 7/80 NEB
Hulda Tucker 15, 5/85 NEB

NEBRASKA VITAL RECORDS -
By law Nebraska started filing birth and death records in 1904, however, no all records were filed in the early years of the time era.

TRY - Find a grave – FREE SITE - volunteer site all states; frequently has headstone pic
DO NOT SEARCH FOR A MARRIED WOMAN USING HER MAIDEN NAME.

http://www.worldvitalrecords.com/

Try Vital Records – Birth, Marriage, & Death, Social Security Info. – FREE ALL STATES
http://search.labs.familysearch.org/

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 1:26AM GMT
could have used a nick name.. Grammar is a lot to say for a name...... Grams, Mar, Ams..... just thinking out loud...

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 3:15AM GMT
I know a lot of people swear by death certificates, but I have a problem with them. Its one document where you know for a fact that someone else is giving the answers. My great grandfather Freeman Tucker was the last of the kids so there was no one left with first hand knowledge. His brother Larkin preceded him in death, sometime between 1880 and 1900 (that missing 1890 census strikes again,) which means there WAS a family member to answer such questions.

I MIGHT try for Larkin's marriage record, but since Freeman's marriage license doesn't gives parents names, I don't think his brother's would, either.

Posted: 8 Apr 2012 3:33AM GMT
Surnames: Tucker, Grammar
Yeah, I've got all the census records, and they have enabled me to paint a pretty good picture of both Freeman and Larkin's lives. I have considerably more on Freeman because he held elected office in Nebraska, so I found a short bio on him. But I'm having a heck of a time finding anything on the parents David and Hannah; everything I found suggests they died in Illinois but I don't know if it was before or after Freeman and Larkin left for Nebraska in the early to mid 1870s. I don't see them (David and Hannah) in the 1870 census, but that doesn't mean they weren't there, alive and well; I've got quite a few ancestors that were missed in a census here and there.

I suspect there is some other document out there with her name on it because I found an unsourced tree (for whatever its worth) that listed her first name as Anna Grammar rather than Hannah. Everything I have found the H's are quite visible, so I have to wonder if there isn't something else out there that says Anna.

I've tried FindAGrave and found Freeman and his wife Mary, but none of the others. I've also tried the various GenWeb sites, FamilySearch.org, and rootsweb.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.