Search for content in message boards

Hughes Family

Hughes Family

Barb Nault (View posts)
Posted: 15 Feb 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hughes, McCarl, Wolfe, Funk
Looking for information on the family of Ellis Hughes, born 1808, Westmoreland Co. PA. died 1857 Monticello, In. Ellis had four wives. First wife was Easter McCarl. Their children were:
John
Lydia
Sarah
Joseph
Lucinda
Ellis
Easter Mary
His second wife was Abigail Wolfe. They had one child;
Phebe Celinda
His third wife was Sarah Wolfe. They had two children;
Samuel
Roland
His fourth wife was Elizabeth Funk. They had two children;
William Treavor
James Laten
Would like to exchange information with anyone working on this family.

Re: Hughes Family

Kerry Hughes (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2003 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: Hughes
My name is Kerry Clifford Hughes.

My Father was Clifford Elott Hughes.

His Father was Charles Elmer Hughes.

His Father was William Treavor Hughes.

His Father was Ellis Hughes 1808 of whom you are searching.

His Father was also Ellis Hughes born in Maryland in 1776.

I cannot get any further back than this. I have the Hughes Genealogy written in book form in 1970 by Mrs. Robert A. Hughes, but I can't get back any further.

If you have any new info, please e-mail me at: khughes@monti.net

Thank you. Kerry Hughes

lynn (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2003 3:55AM GMT
hello kerry,i believe we share a common ancestor ellis hughes.my grandmother was the daughter of jacob hughes of sitka,liberty twp.,in white co,indiana.i would be interested in sharing info. thanks,lynne

Posted: 26 Dec 2003 3:21AM GMT
Edited: 10 Jan 2004 5:04AM GMT
Lynne: Sorry to get back to you so late.

Would your Grandmother be Agnes Martha Hughes (Sluyter)????

If so, I knew her personally. She lived in Buffalo, Indiana and married Marral Sluyter. Their son, Donald V. (Sonny) Sluyter is a great family friend. I graduated high school with his daughter, Donna Jo Sluyter.

I live in Monticello, IN and would be happy to exchange info with you.

Our family history (Hughes) is all in a book that I have dating back to 1735 in Ireland.

My e-mail address is: kiddgalahad@sugardog.com.

E-mail me and I will help you any way I can.

Posted: 28 Apr 2014 5:10PM GMT
Surnames: Hughes
I have traced a small part of this family through Ellis Jackson Hughes, Jr., (son of Ellis and Easter McCarl) a Civil War soldier who enlisted 13 Oct 1861 as Pvt, Co. E, 46th IN Inf. Regt., mustered out 4 Sep 1865. He was living at Emporia, KS when he applied for pension on 23 Feb 1892.

He and his son, Frank, were shown in the 1880 census living in Shoalcreek Twp., Newton Co., Mo. Earlier census records list him as a lawyer; this census lists his occupation was "miner."

For more information, see this link:

http://cochranfamily.net/guthridge/pafg20.htm#652

Cheers!

Richard Cochran
Big Rapids, MI

Posted: 3 May 2014 7:20PM GMT
I am wondering whether you may have found any more information about this family by now. I have a Sarah HUGHES, born about 1773 in Maryland & died 1826 in Pickaway Co., Ohio. I know nothing about her parents or siblings, but she married John DUNNUCK in 1793 and their daughter, Ann DUNNUCK, was my ggggrandmother. She married Jesse LEAZENBY in 1835 in Pickaway Co., Ohio, but they moved on to White Co., Indiana, where they are both buried. The HUGHES name coupled with the places they lived make it seem as if there might be a connection between our families. Do you see where there might be one?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.