Search for content in message boards

MAHER SHALAL HASH BAZ LYLE

MAHER SHALAL HASH BAZ LYLE

Posted: 25 May 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 15 Dec 2004 10:21AM GMT
Surnames: LYLE

1. MAHER SHALAL HASH BAZ1 LYLE was born March 14, 1735/36 in Scotland, and died January 13, 1814 in Jackson Co., GA. He married ELIZABETH GIBSON 1763, daughter of JOHN GIBSON. She was born February 13, 1739/40, and died January 15, 1831.

Notes for MAHER SHALAL HASH BAZ LYLE:
It is believed that Maher is not his birth name. Some suggest that it was Robert. There are references to this on GenForum. I have not found anyone who knows his birth name.
Bible record (in possession of Mrs. Q.W. Arwood, Jackson GA) shows Maher died Jan 30, 1814 at age 76.

I would like more information on Maher's background.

Re: MAHER SHALAL HASH BAZ LYLE

Posted: 23 Jun 2001 6:20PM GMT
Surnames: Lyle
Sorry that it has taken me so long to thank you for your response to my posting. It was very interesting reading. My family has had a copy of Oscar K Lyle’s book for some time, and have always thought we were Scotch-Irish and descended from Robert Lyle. I now tend to think that Maher and Robert are not one and the same. I have recently talked to a gentleman who has seen Mahers grave and the tomb stone states that he served with George Washington and was born in Scotland and makes no mention of also being known as Robert. If this is true then there would be no Irish connection and anyone descended from Maher would not be related to Lyles of Timberridge or the Blairs of Ireland. I am making another attempt to get a photo of the tomb stone and the location of the grave site which is in East Jackson County, Ga.
The following are excerpts from emails that I received on the subject. I think there is enough info out there to determine if Maher had any Irish background. Sincerely, Ron Lyle Johnson, 972 238 9868 , ronljohnson@home.com

1. MAHER SHALAL HASH BAZ1 LYLE was born March 14, 1735/36 in Scotland, and died January 13, 1814 in Jackson Co., GA. He married ELIZABETH GIBSON 1763, daughter of JOHN GIBSON. She was born February 13, 1739/40, and died January 15, 1831.
Notes for MAHER SHALAL HASH BAZ LYLE:
It is believed that Maher is not his birth name. Some suggest that it was Robert. There are references to this on GenForum. I have not found anyone who knows his birth name.
Bible record (in possession of Mrs. Q.W. Arwood, Jackson GA) shows Maher died Jan 30, 1814 at age 76. Some say Maher IS his name! Check out Isaiah 8:1. and he didn't come from Scotland, it was
Middlesex, England.

I would like more information on Maher's background.

Hi Ron,

I have had a chance to go through all the information I have on the Lyle
family and I think you will happy with what I will be sending you.

I visited the Lyle Cemetery in East Jackson County today and looked again at
the markers on each gravesite. I noticed a white marker near a house next to
the cemetery that I haven't checked before, I walked over to it and was very
surprised to see that it is the grave site of Maher Shalal Hasbaz Lyle born
March 14, 1736, in Scotland. He is the Lyle who served with Washington in
Virginia; it states that on his grave marker. He married Elizabeth Gibson in
1763 in Virginia and moved down through the Carolinas and in to Georgia. He
died in Jackson Co. January 30, 1814.

I will name his children so you can see that he is the person you are looking
for and I will copy all the information I have and send it to you by mail if
you will Email me your address. His children were Elizabeth, Sara, David,
John, William, Delmus, Maher Jr.,James, Annie, and Charles

I look forward to hearing from you.

Eugene (Gene) Whitfield

PS. I have more

Re: MAHER SHALAL HASH BAZ LYLE

danette lyle hollingsworth (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jul 2001 5:08AM GMT
Classification: Birth
Surnames: Lyle
If you have more information, could you please see if there is a descendant from one of Maher's children who could be a John K. Lyle born in VA about 1816. I have no knowledge of the county he was born in.
Sincerely,
Danette
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.