Search for content in message boards

Englert "hole" in family - a true mystery

Englert "hole" in family - a true mystery

Posted: 20 Dec 2011 7:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Englert Reiland
My mom had kids with Bill Englert (maybe william?). We think the kids' names are Billy (maybe jr), Ann, Diane & Lynette (or spelling variations thereof). Not much is certain, except that my mom at that time either went by Jean Marie Reiland (birth certif), or Joann. She officially changed name in 1974 to read "JoAnn Marie Goody". We don't know parents of Bill Englert nor birth or a middle initial. We think the epicenter is Iowa. Mom was born in Lone Tree, IA. Some mystery happened (we were not tole) that went to the grave with my mom where she met my blood father, Richard Ralph Goody, whereas he/she up and left (abandoned) the 4-kids (with who?) to start a new life. Richard and JoAnn had 2-kids, Richard Ralph Goody, Jr and Michael Douglas Goody (me). Problem is, I can not find any info/records that tie Bill Englert to Jean/Joann. We are going off limited info from my mom (jean/joann) where she told us about the 4-kids when I was 27-yrs old. Kept a good secret. Supposedly Ann is only living sibling (in Iowa) as Billy, Diane and Lynette are supposedly dead. No husbands of the kids, no other information on names, etc. I think there will be info when the 1940 census is released. Has anyone tracked an Englert line down to something close to these facts? I've done plenty of searches and not many "family trees" pop up. I'll take any info either on the Englert side or the Reiland side. And Reiland is how it shows on my mom's birth certif. I also looked under Rieland, but to no avail. Help if you can. Thanks.

Re: Englert "hole" in family - a true mystery

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 2:42PM GMT
Have you seen the wedding announcement for Joan Marie Reiland, daughter of Mr.&Mrs Leonard Frauen to William Raymond Englert, son of Mr.&Mrs Raymond C. Englert in the 16 February 1950 Iowa City Press?

It lists a sister Suzanne and a brother Robert for him.

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 3:01PM GMT
Hi there, and thanks. No, I was unaware of this info. Do you have a link you can tie to, or do you have it on your tree? I'd be interested in reading it in its entirety.

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 5:22PM GMT
http://search.ancestry.com/browse/view.aspx?dbid=6943&ii...

I assume it's on the pay side of ancestry.

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 11:00PM GMT
Thanks again. And yes, it was on the pay side. Found it. Interesting read.

By the way, are you a relative of that string of circumstance with the Englert's and the Reiland's? Do you know of any more details of the apparent falling out (disconnection) of JoAnn's parents and her listing a complete other set of parents in her wedding announcement? I knew there for a while her grandfather raised her on the Hora side, but not sure when or how long before getting married at 17.

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 11:51PM GMT
Surnames: Englert Mattes
I'm not related to that line of Englerts as far as I know. Mine are from Indiana.

My assumption from reading the announcement was that her mother had remarried and Leonard was her step-father.

Since they were Catholic, church records could be very good.

I came across another wedding announcement that included Robert Englert and some people named Mattes. Looks like they may be family.

I came across a hit about a Diane being adopted in Iowa whose mother's maiden name was Englert. Makes you wonder.

Any idea when her other children would have been born? Probably between the wedding and meeting your father, but do you have a better idea?

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 12:57AM GMT
Bill Englert's mother was a Mattes.

In April 1968, Diane was living with her grandparents and she was a junior or senior in High School.

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 1:19PM GMT
Yes, I saw that in the paper. Some sort of school trip to the DC area for about 60-kids. Is that what you are referring to?

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 1:28PM GMT
Good point on the remarriage of the mother, Genivieve (if that's true). Back then they always used Mrs. so-and-so, and not the woman's name in many cases.

I too scoured the papers for that time period yesterday. And I found another wedding announcement for William Raymond Englert, JR. Since it was dated 1973 (I think), that would have to be Billy Jr, being married to his new wife and moving to Germany with the U.S.Army. William Raymond Englert Sr would have been the person to marry my mom (JoAnn) in 1950. Also found the wedding shower in the paper, the wedding shower "after-article" in the paper, and what seemed so funny/strange was, that all these activities occured within days of one another. Wonder if JoAnn was pregnant at the time and they had to hurry, if you know what I mean.

I also saw the Mattes name pop up, just can't remember where. I'll have to keep watch for that.

Do you know if William Raymond Englert Sr had any siblings?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.