Search for content in message boards

DERRY - POLLOCK

DERRY - POLLOCK

Posted: 18 Jul 2004 11:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Aug 2005 7:59AM GMT
Surnames: Derry, Pollock
Interested in hearing from other descendents of my great great great grandparents James Madison Derry and Martha Jane Pollock.

Re: DERRY - POLLOCK

Posted: 12 Dec 2004 4:50AM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2005 8:01AM GMT
Surnames: Derry, Pollack
What are the dates and locations for James Madison Derry and his wife, Martha Jane Pollack?

Posted: 12 Dec 2004 3:12PM GMT
Classification: Obituary
Edited: 16 Aug 2005 8:05AM GMT
Surnames: Derry, Kalb, Elmore, Pollack, White, Ennis, Clark, Carnes, Bud, Patton, Robbins, Batterton, Hunter
Judy,

Hope this information helps. I'm preparing to post this on RootsWeb WorldConnect Project.

Obituary from Petersburg Observer: J.M. Derry was born in London county, Virginia, September 19, 1822, and died at his home in Petersburg, Ill., Thursday, February 23, 1905, aged 82 years, 5 months and 4 days. He came to Illinois when twenty-seven years old and settled on a farm near Springfield. He was married to Cordelia Kalb April 17, 1851, and to this union was born three children; one dying in infancy. Those surviving are: Mrs. J.H. Elmore, of Chula, Mo., and E. Derry, of Menard county. His first wife died Oct. 6, 1854. Mr. Derry was again married to Martha Pollock October 17, 1861. To this union was born ten children: Charles, Benjamin, Lilly, Libbie, Ethel, Mrs. John White, Mrs. Samuel Ennis, all of Menard county, A.E. Derry, of Piatt county, Mrs. Homer Clark, of Sheridan, Mo. There are twenty-six grand children and four great grandchildren with many other relatives and friends to mourn his loss. He united with the Methodist church when quite young and until about five years ago, when his health failed him, was a very attentive member. He was a devoted husband and loving father.

1879 History of Menard & Mason Counties: James M. Derry, farmer, son of Christian and Susannah (Carnes) Derry, was born in Loudoun Co., Va., Sept. 19, 1822, and came to Illinois about 1849, locating in Springfield. He was married to Miss Cordelia A. Kalb, of Springfield, in April, 1851. She died Oct. 5, 1854, leaving two children. He married his present wife in 1861, she was Miss Martha J. Pallock, of this county. Mr. Derry located upon his present farm, in 1866, which consists of 280 acres of excellent land. Mr. and Mrs. Derry are members of the Free Methodist Church.

Martha Jane Pollock was the daughter of John A. Pollock and Druzilla Barcus Bud.

Obituary from Petersburg Observer: A Good Woman Called Home - Obituary of Mrs. Martha J. Derry, Who Passed Away in Petersburg, Jan. 15, 1917. Martha Jane Pollock, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Pollock, was born in Jefferson Co., Ohio, July 19, 1841. Departed this life Jan. 15, 1917, aged 75 years, 5 months, and 27 days. She came with her parents to Illinois, settling on a farm near Athens in 1851. She married James M. Derry Oct. 17, 1861, who died Feb. 23, 1905. To them were born four sons, John, who died in infancy, Chas. H., Addison E., Benjamin J., of this county, six daughters, Emmer White, Anna Ennis, Lily Patton, Ethel Robbins, of Menard county, Libby Batterton of Bloomington and Ada Clark of South Dakota. She is survived by one brother, Rev. H. B. Pollock of Decatur, two step children, Mrs. J.H. Elmore of Polo, Mo., and E.N. Derry of this county, nineteen grand children and two great grandchildren. Decedent had five brothers in the Civil War, one, William, was killed in the battle of Jackson, Miss. She became a Christian and united with the M.E. church when she was fourteen years of age and remained faithful to the end. She lived in a loving and loyal obedience to her Master and was a faithful attendant upon the church services while strength lasted. There never was a more kind and affectionate mother, a more loving wife, nor a kinder neighbor. The funeral services were held at the M.E. church in Petersburg on Wednesday, Jan. 17, conducted by Rev. W.F. Hunter. Burial at Rose Hill.

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 3:10AM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2005 8:05AM GMT
Surnames: Derry
Yes, Loudon Co., VA, is the big clue. This is not my Derry line. However, there have been postings regarding this line both here and on other forums. I will forward your message to someone of your line that has a lot of data compiled. Please feel free to contact me directly.
-Judy

Posted: 14 Dec 2004 3:13AM GMT
Edited: 16 Aug 2005 8:06AM GMT
Surnames: Derry
P.S. Search on this board for "Loudon Co., VA" and you will find other postings about Christian Derry.

Happy hunting!
-Judy

Jim Quinton (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2006 2:46AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 12:18AM GMT
Surnames: Derry, Pollock, Glenn
I am descended from them as well, through their youngest son, Benjamin Derry... through his eldest daughter, Thelma A. (Derry) Glenn... (my maternal grandmother)... Are you related through Benjamin's brothers or his sisters?

M Ferricks (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2006 2:39PM GMT
Surnames: Pollock, Derry, White
We're descended from Emer Jane Derry and John Ewing White

Jim Quinton (View posts)
Posted: 19 Sep 2006 2:56AM GMT
Edited: 19 Nov 2006 12:19AM GMT
Surnames: Derry, Pollock
My mother thinks of her great-aunt Emer as "little Aunt Emer"... I've been gathering up all the Benjamin Derry info I can find just to "catch up" on my mother's maternal ancestry. Nice pictures have come to light. Do you have pix? We'd like to share all the pix we've come across... J. Madison & Martha, her mother, and all the grown Derry children with their families posed in front of a big house with a porch. Another set of the grown Derry children (Emer's generation) -- the four boys: Eldridge, Charlie, Addison, and Ben. And the seven girls, including Lurena...

Charlie Derry put together a book and provided several copies to each of the families. Perhaps you've seen one. It has a red cover and gives an account of the early Derry and Pollock family members. I think he published it around 1926...

JQ
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.