Search for content in message boards

Deaths of Archibald and Sackfield

Deaths of Archibald and Sackfield

Posted: 31 May 2013 10:11PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McHone
I really like the history I have uncovered, and would like any additional facts if you can support them.

After Archibald started receiving his military pension in 1837 at the age of 92, he was stabbed to death in 1842. His case was documented in law books as an example of how to prosecute a case of murder across state lines. He died in VA - not at his home in NC.

Good luck with this link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=VtVPAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA911&a...

Plus someone has uncovered an account in the "Vestry Book of Blisland Parish (1721-1786)" that shows the orphan sons of Sackfield were in foster care in VA for at least three years. The book lists who received payment of tobacco in exchange for raising the boys. I'd like some info on the names and ages of the boys, and perhaps a census of the families who were raising them -- if we're lucky. This should help us establish the death of Sackfield and his wife, and perhaps their ages as well.
Good luck fellow researchers.

Tess
beagle-boyz@hotmail.com

Re: Deaths of Archibald and Sackvile

Posted: 3 Jul 2013 6:28PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McHone, Mahone, Manning
Okay. I found The Vestry Book translation available online at the VA Beach Library. I think it suggests Sackvile M'Hone died in 1759.

Archibald would have been 14. He was raised - perhaps in a poorhouse - until he was 21. His younger bro/sis left 2 years after him in 1768.

Here's the data:
"At a vestry held for Blisland Parish, at the lower Church,
the 10th day of Nov. 1760.

Present

Maj'. John Power, and Capt. William Armistead

Col. John Richardson, Col. Gill Armistead

Maj. Thruston James, Col. Burwel Bajsett and

M'. Richard Allen

This Vestry proceeds to lay the Parish Levy
(1760)

To Marg*. Manning, for keeping two of Sackvile M'hone's Children last Year 800 [pounds of tobacco]"

And approx every year after that...

-12NOV1762-
To Major William Armistead, for Marg*. Mannings keeping two of Sackvile M'hone's Children two Year, to be paid her 1600

-21NOV1763-
To Marg*. Manning, for keeping two of Sackvile M'hone's Children 800

-12OCT1764-
To Marg'. Manning's Est*, for keeping two of Sackv. M'hone's Children 1000

-21OCT1765-
To Sarah Manning, for keeping two Children of Sackv. M'hone dec'd 1000

-20OCT1766-
To Sarah Manning, for keeping two Children of Sackvile M'hone dec'd 800

-1OCT1767-
To Sarah Manning, for keeping two Children of Sackvile Mahone dec'd. 400

-10OCT1768-
To Sarah Manning, for keeping two Children of Sackv. M'hone dec'd 400
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.