Search for content in message boards

Jernigan/ Cherokee Or Not? Please Help!!

Jernigan/ Cherokee Or Not? Please Help!!

Sherry Broadie (View posts)
Posted: 10 Jun 2006 6:42AM GMT
Classification: Query
I was told that my grandmother was of Cherokee decent. Her name was Noleon Jernigan. Her death certificate said she was born in Ware Co. Ga. in 1901. She married my grandfather O.C. Fussell in 1916 in Pierce Co. Ga. She passed away while giving birth due to the measles in Charlton Co. Georgia in 1924. Her mother's name was Rinna Jernigan from Bullock Co. Ga. I do not have her father's name. Anyone who would know anything has already passed away. Any help would be greatly appreciated....Sherry Broadie

Re: Jernigan/ Cherokee Or Not?

Posted: 10 Jun 2006 4:15PM GMT
Edited: 11 Sep 2006 3:18PM GMT
Sherry-
She may be-- but it will be a long, long journey to prove it!

The Cherokee citizens were removed from the east in 1838/39-- and even prior to then, the tribe did not inhabit the part of GA that you are talking about (see map at http://www.rootsweb.com/~cherokee/cn-east.html).

Actually, those counties that you listed were never part of the Cherokee lands. Those counties were taken from the Creek Indians back in about 1810!

To start- click on http://www.rootsweb.com/~cherokee/page_1.htm and follow the instructions. Since these people would have been U.S. citizens, you'll have to primarily trace them through the U.S. census. They would not be shown on the Cherokee rolls.

Good luck

Jerri Chasteen
Claremore

Re: Jernigan/ Cherokee Or Not? Please Help!!

Posted: 30 Oct 2012 2:01PM GMT
Surnames: Jernigan
If you are descended from Benjamin Jernigan Jr. and Vashti Van you are part Cherokee,part Chickasaw and part Shawnee. Vashti was the daughter of Edward "Ned" Vann and Mary King. Edward was part Cherokee, Mary was half Chicksaw and half Shawnee. She was the daughter of Chief Squirrel King of the Chickasaw and a Shawnee woman of the Thawakilla band.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.comPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.