Search for content in message boards

John Thomas Griffis

John Thomas Griffis

Ron Taylor (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cole, Griffis, Hodge
I am looking for info on John Thomas Griffis and/or his family in Texas. Don't even
know his wife's name but he had a daughter named Leona Pearl Griffis b.Aug 1,1876 in Cass County
d.Oct 6,1945. She is buried in Denison Tx. Her first husband was Emmett Romulus
Hodge (my great grandfather). After Emmett's death in 1908, she remarried a George
Frazier.
I believe John T Griffis may have lived in Daingerfield Tx or at least some of his family
did. I have also heard he was a Confederate veteran and lived to be over 100 years
old.
Any leads or connections would be greatly appreciated.
Ron Taylor
Houston, Texas
ront@softhome.net

griffis

dell wilson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Griffis
A Griffis reunion was held this year at Caddo State Park near Jefferson, Texas and was attended by over 100. Information can be accquired from Rhena May Carwille in Hughes Springs, Texas by telephone. She lives near the old
Griffis cemetery which is located in Cass Co. in a wooded area. The oldest living decendent is probally my grandfather
James Sperry Black living with his son in Paris, Texas (Bobby Black) at 99 years old. His memory is still very good and probally can still give out information. He is my grandfather.
Dell Wilson

J F Griffis

Posted: 20 Jul 2000 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 19 Apr 2004 12:59AM GMT
Surnames: Griffis
I found this clipping in the Bible of my grandfather, John Issac Hearn.

"J. F. Griffis Service Held

John Floyd (Sam) Griffis, 73, of 1402 Jefferson Ave, a retired machinist of the T&P Railway, died at the T&P Hospital about 2 pm Tuesday.

Funeral services were held at 3pm Wednesday from the Rains & Talley Chapel. The Rev. John Wesley Hardt, pastor of the First Mehodist Church, and the Rev. Hal McCombs, pastor of Summit Methodist Church, officiated. Burial was in Algoma Cemetery.

Pallbearers were Elmo Ballew, George Handler, J. C. Heard, Joseph McIntyre, Lee Jackson, L.C. Perkins, Leo Hightower and Charles Traylor. Honary pallbearers included members of the Knights of Pyhias Lodge, the Internation Assiociation of Machinists, Dr. Fred S. Conley and Sam Alexander.

A native of Avinger, Mr. Griffis was born in August, 1884, the son of Will Griffis and Ida Freeman Griffis. He was a member of the Baptish Church, the Knights of Pythias Lodge and the Woodmen of the World.

Surviving him are his wife, one daughter, Mrs. james Doubherty, Marshall; one son, Joble D. Griffis of Edna; two sisters, mrs. L.O. Patillo of San Juan, and Mrs. Gertha Hicks of Avinger; one brother, Oby Griffis of Avinger; and two grandchildren."

My grandfather lived in Marshall in 1957, the year this clipping had to be taken. Rains and Talley had a Funeral Chapel in Marshall. I do not have any information on the T & P Railway Hospital.

Re: griffis

Posted: 15 Jan 2002 6:51AM GMT
Hello. My name is Carolyn Mikesh. I have seen your message and a reunion was held for the Griffis family. I'm at a stump, my g-grandparents where Agusta May Griffis and George Watson Hauckenberry. I do know Agusta May Griffis was born december 29, 1874 Washington Co., Ks. and died March 18, 1941. One child of there's is Ella May Hauckenberry which is my grandmother. If there is any links to your Griffis family that you would be willing to share, it would be appreciated deeply, as I said, that is the last known Griffis family member that we could accumulate. Thanks for your time. You can e-mail me at c_mikesh@hotmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.