Search for content in message boards

Amanda, daughter of Archibald OXENDINE and Patsey Q?

Amanda, daughter of Archibald OXENDINE and Patsey Q?

Posted: 20 Dec 2001 9:10PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 4 May 2002 1:41PM GMT
My name is Grant Mayers (Myers) from Louisiana. I am a 6th generation descendant of William Norman WASHBURN and Amanda OXENDINE. My information indicates that Amanda was born in Sparta, White County, Tenn, on Feb 10, 1828 and died Jan 4, 1891 in Livingston Parish, Louisiana. Amanda OXENDINE is said to have an Indian back ground and the one surviving picture of her does suggest Indian features.

Amanda was said to have been the widow MARTIN when she married Norman WASHBURN. She had one son named Thomas Joseph MARTIN who was born in Nashville, Tenn on Nov 28 1850.

Amanda OXENDINE married William Norman WASHBURN in New Orleans in 1854. They had two daughters named Eveline and Roselia. Amanda's 1st child, Thomas Joseph MARTIN would stay in New Orleans and drop his MARTIN name and go by the name Thomas Joseph NORMAN. William Norman WASHBURN and Amanda OXENDINE moved from New Orleans to Livingston Parish around 1869. The daughter Eveline married Martin AHRENS in 1879 and the daughter Roselia married George Buck SMILEY in 1880.

Amanda OXENDINE is believed to have had at least 2 brothers, but only the one by the name of Jonathan OXENDINE was known. The brother Jonathan named one of his daughters Amanda, apparently after his sister. The 1850 census of White County, Tenn list a Jonathan OXENDINE age 43, Sally age 25, John age 10, Polly age 8, and Amanda age 3.

Two letters from Elizabeth OXENDINE NEWMAN, daughter of Jonathan OXENDINE, written in 1881, say that Jonathan had been dead three years and his wife had been dead one year. Three of his children were dead and six were still living (we are all poor). The dead were John, Polly, and Julia. Living were Amanda 30, Elizabeth Newman 28, Mat 26, Mellisa 22, James 23, Rachel 17. Elizabeth NEWMAN was the widow of John NEWMAN and had two small children. Apparently in response to a question, she said she knew nothing of her father's brother.

Carol GIBSON, born in Tenn came to Louisiana in Feb 1834. He was a cousin of Amanda OXENDINE (wife of William Norman WASHBURN). His exact relationship to Amanda is not known. A letter from his mother (her name not given) mentions his brother Jack in Flynnslick, Tenn, a brother "Rannel" and a sister Lucrecia in KY. Carrol GIBSON died July 18, 1904.

The 1850 census of Jackson County, Tenn list an Amanda OXENDINE age 27, Hetty GIPSON ate 24, David GIPSON age 4 and William GIPSON age 1. This Amanda OXENDINE could be the same person that married William Norman WASHBURN in New Orleans. ??? My information said she was born in 1828, but maybe she was actually born in 1823. ??????????????

These are the notes I started with from my Great Uncle's research.

While doing a general search in Ancestry.com, I came across an Amanda OXENDINE born 1823 in Tenn. Her parents were listed as Archibald OXENDINE and Patsy QUACKENBUSH. The siblings of this Amanda were listed as John F, Jonathan, Johnson, Charles, Archibald, Nathaniel, and Patsy OXENDINE. Johnson's last name was actually listed as EXENDINE. The Jonathan OXENDINE in this group had children of his own. They were listed as John, Polly, Amanda, Juliana, Elisabeth, James, Malissa, Peter, and Perry OXENDINE.

Per the family letter information concerning my Amanda OXENDINE and her niece Elizabeth OXENDINE NEWMAN, daughter of Jonathan OXENDINE, I conclude that this was my Amanda's family, and that her father and mother were Archibald and Patsy OXENDINE. (Assuming the internet data was accurate)

Archibald OXENDINE was said to be born 26 Aug 1759 in Near Pee Dee River South Carolina and died 3 Sept 1869 in Benton's Creek, Phelps County Missouri. His wife, Patsey QUACKENBUSH which some web sites have down as SHOEMAKER? was born 1790 in South Carolina. Amanda OXENDINE was born 1823 when Archibald was 64 years old and his wife Patsy was 33. ??? One note on the Internet says that Archibald OXENDINE was discharged from the war of 1812. ???

Further OXENDINE name research reveals a John OXENDINE known as Figro who was born around 1694. In 1725, he bought his freedom and the freedom of his wife from William WILDEY on North Carolina. The census said that the William WILDEY household had 10 white and 28 black. Further down this article it says that John OXENDINE was one of the first Indians to be granted land from the King of England. Many generations of OXENDINE's follow including the name Archibald, but his timing in life does not fit the Archibald OXENDINE I am looking for. This was found on the Internet called "Oxendine Family of Robeson County".

An OXENDINE forum explains why this John OXENDINE may have been counted black. The forum indicates that the OXENDINE name has been a Lumbee Indian name fro generations and that most originate in Robeson County, NC. The forum explains further that Indians were often counted in the column of "Free people of color". ??

Additional information indicates that the Lumbee Indian name is sometimes given to the Lenni Lanape Indians..

I am hoping to find someone that may recognize my Amanda OXENDINE and know her ancestry. I am hoping somebody can further explain the OXENDINE family origins.

Grant Mayers
mayersf@eatel.net

Re: Amanda, daughter of Archibald OXENDINE and Patsey Q?

Posted: 6 Jan 2002 1:47AM GMT
Edited: 12 Jan 2002 9:22PM GMT
There are indeed more than one Archibald Oxendine. I have tried to tie them to my line for years, as I know there is a connection, but can't seem to find it. One branch--the one that married Patsy Quackenbush, later changed their name to Exendine. Marilyn Ramey did extensive research on that line, and that line seems to have a better paper trail than mine does--at least going way back. I have not seen her post for some time, and wonder if she is still living. I hope so. At any rate, I have her book, and will look up in it for you, if you email me.
Sandye :)

Posted: 10 Mar 2002 7:51PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2002 12:44AM GMT

Dear Grant:

You may also find some additonal information on www.freeafricanamericans.com Search for the Oxendine name.

Posted: 26 May 2004 2:08AM GMT
I'm hoping you are still here and can reply to me. I'm doing research on this line as well for a friend. Her line as we know it is:
Archibald and Patsy Oxendine parents of:
Archibald and Rachel Oxendine parents of:
George Washington Bledsaw and Margaret J. Oxendine parents of:
Matt Walter Bledsaw and Lee Frasher who are shown in the 1930 census as being of mixed blood and cherokee. Cannot find and Oxendine's or Bledsaw's or Bledsoe's (Matt's parents are listed in census records as Bledsoe) on the cherokee rolls though and can't find any information on Patsy or Rachel.
Would love any information you have and would be willing to share.

Posted: 25 Jun 2004 2:18AM GMT
Per further research and help from the Internet, I now believe that Amanda's parents were David Oxendine and Omaha Jackson.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 2002-2014 AncestryPrivacyCookiesNew Terms and ConditionsOperated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.