Search for content in message boards

Brambridge Church

Brambridge Church

Clare Noyce (View posts)
Posted: 31 Dec 2005 6:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Noyce, Hardwidge, Stedman, Constable, Jennings, Mandry, Stanley
Does any one out there have any information on Brambridge Church. I have trawled the internet and have found very little information.

All I know is that people stopped using it in the mid 1800. I presume when the Otterbourne church was Built or rebuilt I'm not sure in 1839. The remaining ruins were pulled down in the 1970's.

My interest in the church is that my husbands 4x Greatgrandparents Francis Noyce and Elizabeth Coffin were married there in 1799.

The church is normally listed as Highbridge R C, Brambridge, Hampshire, England.
I presume this mean it is was a Roman Catholic church. Though the Noyces are not Catholics. Though I know Elizabeth was baptized there.

The marriage is listed under the Otterbourne parish record in the Records office in Winchester, I'm not sure what this means regarding the Roman Catholic status. But there are records held at Middlesborough Reference Library for Highbridge R C, Brambridge, Hampshire, England.
As are a lot of other Roman Catholic Parish records in Hampshire and other parts of the country. Does this mean that the marriage is documented twice? I'm getting confused.

Can anyone shed any more light on this subject.

Thanks Clare

Re: Brambridge Church

Posted: 26 Mar 2008 9:01PM GMT
There is quite a detailed description of the old Otterbourne Church in "Old Times at Otterbourne" written by Charlotte Young.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24651/24651-h/24651-h.htm

Helen

Re: Brambridge Church

Posted: 2 Jul 2012 10:42PM GMT
About the Roman Catholic Chapel at Highbridge, near Brambridge, in Hampshire

Although much altered and extended the building, which was once used as a Roman Catholic Chapel at Highbridge, survives today as a grade 2 listed dwelling, now known as, “The Chapel House”. Its location now lies in the parish of Otterbourne and it can be found to the west of Highbridge Road, south of Brambridge itself. It should not be confused with the now demolished older Church of England Parish Church of Otterbourne, the site of which can be found to the north of Kiln lane, in Otterbourne.

There are currently very few references to the Highbridge Roman Catholic Chapel to be found on-line, but the following web sites reveal some interesting information about this one time centre of Roman Catholicism.

At: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/24651/24651-h/24651-h.htm

The following is a short extract from a book called, “Old Times at Otterbourne” by Charlotte M. Yonge, a once famous author who lived in Otterbourne:

“The family of Smythe, Roman Catholics, long held Brambridge, and they endowed a little Roman Catholic Chapel at Highbridge. At one time, a number of their tenants and servants were of the same communion, and there is a note in the parish register by the curate to say that there were several families at Allbrook and Highbridge whose children he had not christened, though he believed they had been baptized by the Roman Catholic priest.“

I have read in, “Colden Common, a Village History” that, prior to the small chapel and priest’s house being “created” at Highbridge, in 1782, the local Catholics worshipped in a room in Brambridge House itself. (The “Listed Buildings” web site, see below, suggests that modifications were made to an existing building in 1782.)

At: http://www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/en-145899-the-chapel...

This web site includes a map and aerial photograph, as well as revealing some interesting information about the architecture and history of the building, which was once used as a place of worship for Catholics, and also provided a home for a Catholic priest.

I believe that, between 1754 and 1837, marriages in England were only recognised in law if they had taken place in a Church of England church, with the only exceptions being for Quakers and those of the Jewish faith. Consequently, I believe that any marriage services and records, relating to the Highbridge Roman Catholic Chapel, will usually have been “replicated” in one of the nearby Church of England Parish Churches.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.