Search for content in message boards

Sweden cenus lookup: Satterman and Nelson

Sweden cenus lookup: Satterman and Nelson

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 10:54PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Satterman and Nelson per US census
Andrew Satterman born appx 1852 Arjang, Sweden married Anna Marie Nelson born appx 1852-1855 (different in US Census) I think they were married before comming to the US arriving appx 1882. Anna had a sister that also come to America her name was Laura, their obituaries state they had 2 sister & a brother that stayed in Sweden. In the obituary it states from Seibalals, Vermland, Sweden and then in the other sisters it states Sellvodal, Varmland, Sweden I can not seem to find either but there is a Silbodal, Varmland does anyone know and can anyone help me find household examination?

Re: Sweden cenus lookup: Satterman and Nelson

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 11:30PM GMT
There is a village (by) called Årjeng in Silbodal parish in Värmland county, according to the Rosenberg database on the fee based SVAR site.

http://www.svar.ra.se

"By i Silbodals sn, Nordmarks hd, Vermlands län, vid N. ändan af sjön V."

Judy

Posted: 17 Sep 2011 11:30PM GMT
You are on the right track. Årjäng is a town in Silbodal parish, Värmland.

I didn't find any emigrant on the Emibas CD named 'Satterman', 'Sätterman' and other spelling variants of approximately the right age from anywhere near Värmland. So, either he left without giving notice (and would not, therefore, show up on Emibas) or, more likely, he adopted the surname after leaving Sweden.

Here is one *possible* prospect. But, since the starting parameters are vague and the name very common, there is only a small chance this is the right person. I post it only so someone might look up the household examination and help verify:

------------
Post 820362

Andreasson, Anders
Dräng (man)

b. 6/17/1853 in Silbodal, Värmlands län (Värmland)

Emigrated 8/20/1881
from Ström Norra Sätra, Silbodal, Värmlands län (Värmland)
to Amerika

0781881012 - Bilaga/ytterligare information finns. Kontakta Emigrantregistret i Karlstad

Source: Emibas migration file ID: Silbodal S 1881 012

-----------

Because you have a very good starting point -- the name of parish in Sweden where Andrew was reputedly born -- if you can come up with a better birth date there is a good chance he can be found in Silbodal birth records. "Approximately 1852" isn't good enough with a common name like Anders/Andreas (which is the way it was likely spelled in Sweden). Where did Andrew and Anna Marie live in the U.S. (and when)? Have you tried looking Andrew up in the 1900 U.S. census (it reports birth month and year)?

Jeff

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 1:29AM GMT
Surnames: Satterman and Nelson
Andrew Satterman (in some census Setterman) 1900 Census Osage Co. Kansas born March 1852 states he is a stone mason. Anna Marie Nelson 1900 Census June 1852. Anna states in a census she can not read or write and in other census she is born in a different year so her date of birth could be off.
Thank you very much for your help. Swedish names or how they were named is rather confusing to me, I did read the article about Swedish names, guess what I'm still confused.

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 1:45AM GMT
Thank you Judy, sorry I do not know the Swedish language.

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 2:14AM GMT
"By i Silbodals sn, Nordmarks hd, Vermlands län, vid N. ändan af sjön V."

I understand part of this.

Village in Silbodal's parish, Nordmark's judicial district, Värmland's county, by ............

Hopefully someone can help with the rest.

Judy

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 3:18AM GMT
Village in Silbodal's parish, Nordmark's judicial district, Värmland's county, by............

............by the northern end of lake V.

Ingela

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 7:12AM GMT
Edited: 18 Sep 2011 7:13AM GMT
Do you have any more information about Laura?

That is a more unusual name. Although there are a susrprising number of them in Silbodal, Swedish Census 1880 has 9 Laura born 1840-1870 in Silbodal parish.

Birth date, emigration date, names of the siblings, was she married when she emigrated, etc.

// Bo Johansson

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: Satterman and Nelson
Andrew Satterman(Setterman)born Sweden March 1852 his wife Anna Marie Nelson born per obit May 17 1852, Laura Nelson (Anna's sister) born June 1856 she married in America 1886 to a Bergquist. Believe 2 sisters and 2 brother stayed in Sweden,the Silbodal Varmland Sweden area. Laura's obit states she went to a Swedish Lutheran Church in Sweden. Andrew & Anna named their children: Axel, Annie Caroline, Andle, Fred, Lucy, and Tillie all born in Kansas. Believe Andrew Satterman came to America in 1881 also Anna states 1881.
Thank you to everyone, you are all so helpful!

Posted: 18 Sep 2011 4:53PM GMT
Swedish Census 1880 has only one Laura born 1856 in Silbodal, but she dies 1885 in Sweden, and her sister Anna Maria was born 1869, and is still in Sweden in 1885.

In 1885 they are at Backetorp in GID 483.31.62500, [Värmland] Gillberga, AI.24, Household examination, 1881-1885, page 35, Image 39.

// Bo Johansson
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

• Visit our other sites:

© 2002-2014 Ancestry.com | New Privacy | Cookies | New Terms and Conditions | Operated by Ancestry.com Europe S.à r.l.